DVDVR Message Board

[OCT 2016] WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

1 hour ago, DTTW said:

So did the guy who screwed up the move have a history of this? I only ask because they let Hero go and I swear multiple people have talked about how great in the ring he is to work with.

It was Riddick Moss who is one of the few guys in development who actually needs development

I wanna say he had only being training to wrestle for like two years - college football player turned wrestler.

Power guy - was the one who just teamed with Tino Sabbetelli last night as they formed a roid ex-football player team

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Eric Andre deconstructs the late night talk show in the same way Tim & Eric deconstructed low budget local TV. If you look at it like that it makes more sense. Plus you can tell there's tons of Space Ghost, like Petrol said, but also Tom Green in the DNA

This is actually a pretty apt description of Eric Andre, but calling it the monstrous lovechild of Space Ghost and Tim and Eric is not the way to try to talk me into watching it ever again.

<shrug> I guess it could be worse.  It really could be a new version of Tim and Eric.  

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I will say that I'm glad Adult Swim is run like a real version of UHF.

Don't be absurd.  UHF channels have bigger budgets and higher standards.

1 hour ago, DTTW said:

So did the guy who screwed up the move have a history of this? I only ask because they let Hero go and I swear multiple people have talked about how great in the ring he is to work with.

Maybe I understood the question wrong, but what does this have to do with Hero? Hero wasn't fired, because he injured someone and doesn't have a history of injuring people.

I think the point was that they let Hero (who is by several accounts a safe guy to work with) go, but keep using green as grass guys like this on the shows (increasing the chance of injury)

• Like 3

No, that was Callihan. Hero was fired, but I think the reasons are still not fully known.

At the beginning it was said that he was fired, because of his weight gain, which Hero later denied in an interview.

I've also heard that he was fired, because he didn't wrestle the way they wanted him to wrestle.

1 hour ago, The Z said:

Maybe I understood the question wrong, but what does this have to do with Hero? Hero wasn't fired, because he injured someone and doesn't have a history of injuring people.

My thought was why is this guy (who I've never heard of) here if a guy like Hero, who is known to be good, gets cut. 

2 hours ago, Cristobal said:

Which one? I know of three promotions that use that name.

There's one that occasionally runs Northeast/Mid-Atlantic that brings in some big names like Flair, Funk, Steamboat, Foley, Sting & Nash for appearances. I assume that's the one he's referring to. Believe their website is http://www.btwtickets.com/

21 minutes ago, DTTW said:

My thought was why is this guy (who I've never heard of) here if a guy like Hero, who is known to be good, gets cut. 

Yeah, I misread that as "Hero was fired, because he injured someone, so could they also fire this guy?"

By the way, having a history of injuring people doesn't even hinder you at becoming WWE World Champion. AJ Styles put several people in the hospital with the Styles Clash, before he was even signed by WWE. ;)

• Like 1

So, I just found out I get The Fight Network. Right now, I'm watching Fighting Spirit Wrestling, showing matches from New Japan, AAA, and CMLL. Right now I'm watching Togi Makabe vs. Shibata. 

At 9:00, it's Insane Championship Wrestling from Scotland. 

I'm so happy right now.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Peck said:

There's one that occasionally runs Northeast/Mid-Atlantic that brings in some big names like Flair, Funk, Steamboat, Foley, Sting & Nash for appearances. I assume that's the one he's referring to. Believe their website is http://www.btwtickets.com/

I think it was that fed who ran the card in Waynesboro, Va where I met DDP. Matt Hardy fought Christian York or Joey Matthews (can't remember which one) in the main event.

1 hour ago, The Z said:

No, that was Callihan. Hero was fired, but I think the reasons are still not fully known.

Ttiple H did an interview a couple of years ago where he said they had to fire a guy who wouldn't follow directions very well, because he was always working on cardio when they wanted him to do weight training.  I always assumed he meant Hero,  since he was actually in great shape when he got fired.  If you go back and watch his last televised NXT match, he's in pretty good condition, so I doubt he was fired for being a fatty.

3 hours ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

This is actually a pretty apt description of Eric Andre, but calling it the monstrous lovechild of Space Ghost and Tim and Eric is not the way to try to talk me into watching it ever again.

<shrug> I guess it could be worse.  It really could be a new version of Tim and Eric.  

I think he meant thr Weird Al movie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

I think it was that fed who ran the card in Waynesboro, Va where I met DDP. Matt Hardy fought Christian York or Joey Matthews (can't remember which one) in the main event.

That's actually the promotion where I met The Funker in my avatar. 

I've always wondered who was behind that group myself.

4 hours ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

He meant the Weird Al movie, UHF.  The cult classic.

4 hours ago, DTTW said:

I mean, NXT is still a half-student promotion, having green guys and gals competing is part of that and hence there's always gonna be a somewhat higher injury risk.

An argument could be made that NXT should perhaps be even more split between those WWE trains and who they hire from the indie/international scene, but I also think having more experienced wrestlers for the students to work with likely helps a good deal.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, username said:

An argument could be made that NXT should perhaps be even more split between those WWE trains and who they hire from the indie/international scene, but I also think having more experienced wrestlers for the students to work with likely helps a good deal.

This- the bigger thing to remember in wrestling is that iron sharpens iron. Most of the green workers they have who are just learning are green- and because of that, they'd learn more being squashed by one of the top indie/international stars they sign in a minute than they will in a five minute match at the Performance Center with someone just as green as they are.

The benefit is that working with them will eventually polish them enough to become pretty good, but then there is still the problem with injuries happening like this one from working with green performers.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cristobal said:

Which one? I know of three promotions that use that name.

Bobby Fulton, of Fantastics Fame, runs a "Big Time Wrestling" in Ohio.  The FB page now dubs them "World Classic Professional Big Time Wrestling".  He advertises "Live Wire" Sean Casey as a "WWE Network star".  He may have done 3-4 jobs on WCW Saturday Night and WWF Shotgun Saturday night.  He also had a post advertising the promotion is available for sold shows, fund raisers, etc and listed pics of stars available to appear on the show including Flair, HBK, Ryback, Cody Rhodes, and more. Classic indie stuff.

Remember that whole Where in the World is Matt Sydal??? thing a couple of weeks ago. "Oh! I have passport problems. NBD!!!"

Yeah - turns out he was arrested in Japan because he still loves himself some weed

After missing shows for New Japan Pro Wrestling last month, it appears we have some clarity on what happened to Matt Sydal.

According to a report from Nikkan Sports on Friday, Sydal was arrested at the Kansai International Airport on September 23rd after a flight from Tampa. Sydal was allegedly caught with slightly over two grams of liquid cannabis that was contained in a hidden pipe, as well as a pipe attached to an electronic cigarette.

The punishment that Sydal could face for the incident isn't immediately clear, but Japan is known to have strict drug laws. And he faces a potential, if not likely ban from the country.

Intrigue grew over what had happened to Sydal after he missed multiple shows on NJPW’s Destruction tour in September. It was then officially announced that the NEVER Openweight Six-Man tag titles that Sydal had held with Ricochet and Satoshi Kojima would be vacated and contested in a match pitting Ricochet, Kojima and David Finlay against Adam Cole and The Young Bucks.

Ricochet, Kojima and Finlay won the vacant titles. And after that match, Finlay replaced Sydal as Ricochet’s tag team partner as they challenged The Young Bucks for their IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship at King of Pro Wrestling earlier this week.

Attempting to address the speculation as to what happened, Sydal’s Twitter account had claimed last month that he was in Hawaii after having passport trouble at the border.

I am sure this has already been mentioned in the Japan folder but it is still making me giggle