DVDVR Message Board

Burgundy LaRue

Chris Nash's Skinfections trilogy, while not especially scary imo, is completely awesome in terms of gross-out body horror with some black humor.  Nash is also the guy responsible for the "Z is for Zygote" segment at the end of ABCs of Death 2.

https://vimeo.com/45295841

https://vimeo.com/45295840

https://vimeo.com/47286362

Fluff reminded me that I caught most of Hellbound: Hellraiser II the other day before work. 'Member when the only days you could see something like that on TV was when you put a cassette in the VHS box? Now it's airing at noontime on a basic cable network. They barely cut a damn thing out of it either. Despite the medical puns from Dr. Channard (c'mon this is Hellraiser not a Freddy flick) the mood is pretty on-point and the visuals stand up. If only the series could have continued in this similar vein. I'll give a pass to Hell On Earth but everything after you can flush. 

20 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Was it any good? I mean it's Carlin but still, I can't see him doing a sitcom.

Like a lot of sitcoms, the episodes ranged from good to poor. Mind you, had it been some random actor and not Carlin, I'll admit I probably wouldn't have watched. I do remember liking the 1st season more than I did the 2nd, but it was all in all maybe 30 episodes between the two.

23 hours ago, New Blood said:

What are some of the best horror short films that you guys have seen?

I am glad you asked me that!

My favorites in no particular order:

1. Thresher

2. Proxy: A Slender Man Story

3. Lights Out

4. The Little Witch

5. One Last Dive

6. Mama

7. Bedfellows

8. The Closet

9. The Ten Steps

10. The Quiet

11. The Wound

12. Luna

13. Endless

14. Living Dolls

15. Still Life

16. I Miss You, Two.

17. Delete

18. Behind the Door

19. Alexia

20. Human Form

21. 3 Versos

All of them should be available on YouTube, Vimeo, or both..

It should bear saying that if you are trying to get into internet horror shorts, check out Daywalt Horror, Doghouse73 Pictures. and BlackBox TV.

The last couple hours have been Hammer Dracula Day on TCM and Scars of Dracula is on right now. I never knew the priest from The Omen was Sir Lee's henchman in this one. Also, it's still the bloodiest and sleaziest of the Hammer Draculas, and takes a lot from the plot of the original novel actually. Also weird is the pastry chef from Dracula Has Risen From The Grave (the best of maybe all of them) returns again as a barkeep.

Also, sorry for this... GOOD LORD THE WOMEN IN THESE FILMS ARE KILLING ME *promptly douses himself in cold water*

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The last couple hours have been Hammer Dracula Day on TCM and Scars of Dracula is on right now. I never knew the priest from The Omen was Sir Lee's henchman in this one. Also, it's still the bloodiest and sleaziest of the Hammer Draculas, and takes a lot from the plot of the original novel actually. Also weird is the pastry chef from Dracula Has Risen From The Grave (the best of maybe all of them) returns again as a barkeep.

Also, sorry for this... GOOD LORD THE WOMEN IN THESE FILMS ARE KILLING ME *promptly douses himself in cold water*

I watched and tweeted along with the TCM crowd last night.

The turn toward sleaze really amped up with DRINK THE BLOOD OF DRACULA where we were transported from quaint Carpathian villages to a Victorian London brothel where every room was like that room in the Shining where the dogman was giving a blowjob to the bearman.

I also noted how unlikable almost every babyface is...and they are always large-faced inept guys named "Paul."

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 8:32 AM, J.T. said:

Gizmodo presents The 30 Weirdest Horror Movies of the 1970's.

I've seen all of them at least once so that should tell you my taste in horror films as well as the fact that I am very very very old.

Before I even clicked that link, I told myself if it didn't feature Werewolves on Wheels, it was a complete farce of a list.

And there it is, right there at #26.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, zev said:

Before I even clicked that link, I told myself if it didn't feature Werewolves on Wheels, it was a complete farce of a list.

And there it is, right there at #26.

I first saw the trailer for TROG at a speakeasy theater in S.F. at an event bound to draw a fairly large percentage of homosexual men.  When Joan Crawford appeared in the trailer the room went silent followed by a large collective gasp and then a lot of cell phones lighting up. That was repeated a minute or so later when she popped up again holding a sniper rifle.

It was amazing.

That list just reminded me how good The Baby is, how much the VHS cover of Shriek of the Mutilated freaked me out for no reason as a kid, and how I've still -- STILL -- never seen God Told Me To. And guess what? IT'S ON YOUTUBE FTW!!!

I'm so watching this tonight.

EDIT: Dammit it's in French. Maybe one of the other ones is in English

EDIT II: Yep!

On 2016-10-24 at 5:32 AM, J.T. said:

Gizmodo presents The 30 Weirdest Horror Movies of the 1970's.

I've seen all of them at least once so that should tell you my taste in horror films as well as the fact that I am very very very old.

I've seen a few of these. Patrick is amazing: really well done.

Night of the Lepus is goofy, as expected...but Food Of The Goods is outright fucking horrible.

I never got into Alice, Sweet, Alice. So many people I know just love it and I found it dull.

Also enjoy some Halloween-themed commercials from the 1980s.  If you are in your 50s or 60s you will fondly remember these in the same way your parents used to fondly remember dressing up like Roy Rogers and going down to the VFW to bob for nickels.

Make sure to watch this to the end.  There is a commercial for a board game called "I Vant to bite your finger."

It is exactly what the title implies.  Little kids have to stick their finger in Dracula's mouth and if he bites them they lose.  It's the most terrifying concept for a children's game that I've ever seen. Has anyone encountered this in the wild?

20 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

That's not a priest, that's Doctor Who #2 Patrick Troughton!

So this is the jam right here. I'm 30 minutes in (when Tony Lo Bianco is interviewing some guy in a mental hospital, just for reference tomorrow so I can pick up where I'm leaving off) and this has the same paranoiac feel of It's Alive. Also pretty crazy to watch in a post-9-11/post-everyday mass murder world where the only cultural similarity in those days would be Charles Whitman, whom they ably imitate to start. Also: Andy Kaufman is one of the killers?!

Urgh.  It is that time of year again where TCM does the awesome and unthinkable thing of showing the absolutely king sized Kwaidan at some ungodly hour in the middle of the night.  

I will comb through the schedule and make sure I DVR it this year.