DVDVR Message Board

Burgundy LaRue

5.) Stephen King's IT (1990):

Spoiler

OK, so we're 5 seconds in and I'm already more freaked out than all the other movies I've watched so far. Tim Curry just nails it so good. 

Surprised as it was only a TV miniseries, but the blu ray looks really, really good. Unlike many horror films the colours are bright and plentiful.

Haha Seth Green looks like a Dudley Boy. This fat kid can act his socks off.

Beverly just has no luck with men at all. 

If my eyes do not mistake me Richie just splattered his lunch all over the X-files' smoking man. So many weird connections in this.

I am a bit in love with Annette O' Toole. Lucky John Ritter gets to kiss her twice, and she only turned out to be Tim Curry once. I'd take those odds.

Guy playing Bill is so lame, the glasses, the mole and the ponytail? Next thing he'll be getting his treasure map out to go search for One Eyed Willy.

I totally do not remember the ending of this with the giant spider version of IT. The blu ray suddenly doesn't look quite so good, as giant spider IT is VHS quality at best.

The final fight definitely leaves a lot to be desired. I think the remake will improve on many aspects of it, great cast in this one though.

With the new version coming out soon, I like that they're going with a younger actor for Pennywise, as they need to go for a different direction. Tim Curry deserves some sort of cult status award for the recognition the role has gotten over the years. 

6.) Poltergeist (1982):

Spoiler

I'm 20 seconds in and they've booked this dog as Eddie Guerrero, lying, cheating and stealing his way through the family's food.

Why is this creepy blonde girl talking to the static? She is weirding me out.

Did not know this was a Spielberg, my knowledge is lacking. Not directed by him though, perhaps that's why.

Hahahahaha! The look on the girl's face when mommy was about to flush tweety.

This dog is no.1 babyface digging up poor tweety haha, and the daughter gets her goldfish. I did not know this was a comedy. 

Why would they put a clown doll at the end of their kids bed? The parents are weed smoking sadists.

The tree is eating him, and the cute girl got taken into the abyss that was her closet. This got weird in a hurry.

Who goes into someone's house and assumes they can cook a steak from out of their fridge? Martin Short's doppleganger that's who.

Was the dog meant to go with the kid in the taxi or was he just like "fuck this noise, I'm outta here"? Smart dog.

Maz Kanata has finally taken off her sunglasses and delivers a bad-ass speech. Apparently it is the BEAST~! in the closet.

I have no earthly idea what I just watched. 

Oh wait this film isn't finished yet, the fucking clown doll! I knew it!

Mum kept her screams to a minimum in the first 2 acts, as she didn't want to peak too early into the film, she is now giving herself laryngitis in the swimming pool!

Epic Spielberg ending is epic as the house disappears, and I still have no unearthly idea what I just watched.

• Like 1

7.) Poltergeist (2015):

Spoiler

Sam Rockwell is too good for this right? Seems like a pretty close remake so far, although they are lacking no.1 babyface of the dog.

Kid is scared of the tree and it hasn't even tried to eat him yet.

This movie is going to feel so dated in 10 years. Look guys we have ipads and skype! 

Haha, little boy with the cowardly heel turn as he abandons his sister, stay away from the closet kthxbye!

This movie is 20 minutes shorter than the original, which I don't mind as it'll be finished sooner, but it actually worsens the film, as it gets rid of a lot of the atmosphere. It doesn't let things hang, tension has no time to build. It's just exposition, scene, exposition, scene.

Irish mod Constantine is not gonna save this abomination.

Terrible. 

8.) 10 Cloverfield Lane (2016):

Spoiler

John Goodman is a force of nature in this and it's only 10 minutes in. Mary Winstead is more than holding her own too.

Feels like a theatre production with the limited sets and the way it's shot.

I am mentally prepared to not even find out what happened on the outside. It just feels like one of those mysteries where you never know. I really wanna know though!

OK, this just keeps getting weirder and more intriguing.

Holy fuck the twists just keep on coming. Acid!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, that ending. The pay off was immense. Even though it's in spoiler tags I won't completely spoil it, as it keeps you guessing right to the end.

Needless to say, gripping, intense stuff, tons of mystery and tension. Ending worked for me perfectly. 

Sometimes when tonnes of people tell me to watch something, I rebel and deliberately don't watch it, because I'm not mainstream maaaan. This is not one of those times, watch this movie already!

Tonight: Who knows. I was gonna watch some more 80s Puerto Rico today which I think accurately falls under the horror category anyway.

Tomorrow: Possession at the Art Theater after work. 

Thursday: Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein double feature

Next Thursday: My choice of single/double feature. I went back in the stacks and am looking pretty hard at Mother's Day, but I also kind of want to do a double of Burial Ground and Nightmare City just because I don't think any of the parties involved have seen them in forever and they're such a good, sleazy pair to get drunk too. Or I can take a stack of stuff and we can play Russian Roulette over them. That might end up being the option (sans actual firearm, of course). 

1 hour ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Nightmare 2 is sort of like the weirder F13 movies. It tries to do something different. Mostly it fails and it's certainly not good, but I admire it for trying.

It was telling this really great story for about 45 minutes and then the writers were all, "Shit: this is a slasher movie...throw that kid into a barbecue and have Freddy run around like a goof" for no reason. I was digging the story until it went sideways for 20-odd minutes.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

Just watched Def By Temptation (1990), and holy shit was it a ton of fun. Ridiculous, yes: but so awfully good.

Man, I thought I was the only person on earth who talked about that movie.  I brought it up in the In Memoriam thread when we talked about Bill Nunn passing away.

TCM is killing it tonight. They're showing Horror Hotel, Horror Express, The House That Dripped Blood, and The Creeping Flesh back to back (I think J.T. mentioned this in another thread but I'm too lazy to find it). Meanwhile AMC is showing the first three Omens in a row then Walking Dead, Omen IV and the '90 NOTLD. So wish I had a DVDR right now...

• Like 1

Fangoria hyped The Creeping Flesh as one of the great Freddie Francis movies when I was a kid so I've always wanted to see it and thankfully am off work in time to do so. Horror Hotel and Horror Express should be watched by one and all who aren't busy; those are probably the two greatest films with "horror" in their actual title. The House That Dripped Blood is also a fun, quirky Amicus anthology that's like the lighter-hearted cousin to Tales from the Crypt. 

• Like 1

This brings to mind the question of what would you rank as your top ten horror films? I'm not talking best -- your favorite. Sometimes the best are not always your favorite. For me, a hallmark like The Exorcist loses out to a not as classy film like The Omen just because it appeals more. My list would look like, in no order

Night of the Living Dead (#1 film of all time)

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2

Inferno

Zombie

The Omen 

Phantasm

The Hills Have Eyes

Day of the Dead

Mark of the Devil 

Alien

EDIT: I'd be perfectly happy to exchange Chainsaw 2 with the OG TCM, Phantasm with Phantasm II, or Mark of the Devil with either Witchfinder General or The Devils. But gun to head, this is probably what I'd pick.

EDIT II: Scratch Day of the Dead. TALES FROM THE CRYPT. 

• Like 1

I'll give this listmania a shot ...

1. Return of the Living Dead

2. American Werewolf in London

3. Abominable Dr. Phibes

4. The Blob

5. House on Haunted Hill

6. House of Frankenstein

7. Taste the Blood of Dracula

8. Black Sabbath (the AIP cut)

9. I Bury the Living

10. Asylum 

Top Ten Favorites?  You're asking me to pick between my children and shit...

In no particular order with a lot of honorable mentions not being mentioned yet.:

1. [REC]

2. NOROI: The Curse

3. Session 9.

4. American Werewolf In London.

5. The Blob (The 1988 remake..  Yes I know this is blasphemy..)

6. Tales From The Crypt (1972)

7. Phantasm

8. Alien

9. Suspiria

10.  Let The Right One In.

Off the top of my head, in no particular order

curse of the demon

Abominable dr. Phibes

Witchfinder General

The Wicker Man

Cat People

i married a Witch

Suspiria

if it counts, Psycho

if it counts, Silence of the Lambs

if it counts, Throne of Blood

• Like 1

In No Particular Order:

The Fly (Cronenberg)

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein

Phantom of the Opera (1943)

Abominable Dr. Phibes

Sleepaway Camp

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2

The Shining

The Descent 

Dawn of the Dead (Romero) 

Don't Look Now

If it counts:

Jaws 

Silence of the Lambs

Manhunter

Ten is tough. In, sort of, order:

1) Halloween (1978)
2) The Shining
3) The Exorcist
4) Fright Night (1985)
5) Suspiria
6) Re-Animator
7) Friday the 13th Part 3 (Fuck all y'all watch this with 3D glasses and love it. At this point I've written about 10,000 words on why it's great on this board)
8) Return of the Living Dead
9) Shaun of the Dead
10) Evil Dead 2
10+) Halloween 5: YEAH FUCK YOU FOWLER!!!

Funny, apart from Shaun these all come from about a 15 year period and five of them are from between 1982 and 1987 with three from 1985 alone.

I am a limited mind.

I completely forgot about The Haunting so scratch Mark off the list. I also second the love for The Abominable Dr. Phibes, one that's a serious side contender that you might not think of at first.

Maybe Top 15 or Top 20 would be a better idea...

Also, there is nothing wrong with the '88 Blob! So much better than the original and one of the great unheralded '80s practical effects horror films.

• Like 1