DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Rings

On 2016-09-29 at 7:51 PM, AxB said:

Even in a straight wrestling match, you still wouldn't really want to bump on something like this, would you? (Spoilered for NSFW)

Reveal hidden contents

150727140720-01-cnnphotos-american-ultra

Did that one guy in the shirt have a court date earlier that day?

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Thomas Bugg said:

What the fuck kind of backyard fed is this? I bet bul got paid $10 tops for putting himself through that crap, literally and figuratively.

IWA Mid-South. And it's not true that Ian used to pay his workers with drugs. He'd pay them with money, that they would then use to buy drugs (from Ian) in a completely different transaction.

• Like 4

On 2016-09-28 at 7:32 AM, Technico Support said:

Cool topic.  I'd love to hear a wrestler (maybe @Marty Sugar )give their perspective on ropes vs cables.  I feel like WWE's use of ropes is antiquated but what do I know?

Are they using a smaller ring now on Smackdown or is that just forced perspective from the new camera setup?  Speaking of smaller rings, I remember seeing a match on one of the Wrestling Gold DVDs between Terry Funk and Harley Race and the ring was so tiny that the only way to safely do a vertical suplex was to start the move in one of the corners!

I cannnot remember if I've ever been in a rope-ropes ring. I think all my career I've been in ones with steel cables. Interesting sidenote: once, when getting a massage, a masseuse was feeling the excessive scarring around my ribs and back muscles and asked...have you been attacked with a baseball bat at some point?

• Like 3

Random ring fact, in his book Foley said the reason he lost his ear in Germany was b/c the ring ropes were too tight. They'd been really loose all night and a couple of the high flying guys complained. I think he mentioned Scorpio in particular. So the ring crew tightened up the ropes a ton. He did his "head stuck in the ropes" bit and he couldn't easily get the ropes up over his head to free himself like he normally did. So he ended up pulling the ropes really hard and it scraped against the side of his head and pretty much tore his ear off. It was still hanging by a bit of cartilage or something but it ended up falling off shortly after he got back into the ring.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/1/2016 at 11:22 AM, Marty Sugar said:

I cannnot remember if I've ever been in a rope-ropes ring. I think all my career I've been in ones with steel cables. Interesting sidenote: once, when getting a massage, a masseuse was feeling the excessive scarring around my ribs and back muscles and asked...have you been attacked with a baseball bat at some point?

Most rings I've dealt with use cables, whereas the ring used down in DOA Pro Wrestling uses actual ropes (I know, I bought a replacement set and it wasn't cheap).  From what I've seen/heard from other workers, cables are easier to get "spring" off of while the ropes are easier to run and overall, more reliable.

• Like 2

The 8/30/86 episode of Maple Leaf Wrestling in Brantford features the typical WWF ring at the time except for the yellow NWA third turnbuckle for some reason:

4C5Rtl8.jpg

This only showed up (as far as I can tell) in Canadian tapings and was sporadic at best. I wonder what the reason for this happening was.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an oddity I've never seen before today, from the first WWF card promoted in Minnesota 06/17/84 in the old Met Center:

ze5j5c2.jpg

A (mostly) AWA ring in WWF colors. The ropes are the heavily textured AWA-style ropes in WWF colors, and check out the red and blue turnbuckles! They're actually put on correctly! They don't appear to be the same as the AWA ones but that's definitely the same color scheme.

Edit: Spoke too soon, from later in the same episode:

33GC3tV.jpg

The upper two sets of turnbuckles appear to be AWA ones put on properly.

I want to say the old rings the WWWF used in the 70's at MSG were actually the boxing rings that were kept at the Garden. I know Bruno said those rings felt like being thrown onto cement when he took a fall on them.

Looking at scummy Indy rings like the ones in IWA Mid south and elsewhere, it always amazed me more guys didn't get nasty staph infections. I think about 10 years ago Samoa Joe caught one from a ring that wasn't cleaned right. But other than that it's kind of a miracle in that regard.

• 3 months later...
On 11/10/2016 at 10:03 PM, Phantom Lord said:

I want to say the old rings the WWWF used in the 70's at MSG were actually the boxing rings that were kept at the Garden. I know Bruno said those rings felt like being thrown onto cement when he took a fall on them.

That ring apparently dated back to the 1920s. It's in the Boxing Hall of Fame now.

• Like 1

Does anyone remember the old rings on World Championship Wrestling on TBS?

They looked normal, but I remember the ring they used at the studio (I guess that was the Techwood Drive studio) sounded really metallic and spring-y. Maybe it was the way they miced it, but that ring always sticks out in my brain. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Buy Me a Burrito said:

Does anyone remember the old rings on World Championship Wrestling on TBS?

They looked normal, but I remember the ring they used at the studio (I guess that was the Techwood Drive studio) sounded really metallic and spring-y. Maybe it was the way they miced it, but that ring always sticks out in my brain. 

There's also the acoustics of a big ring in a tiny studio like Techwood. 

• Like 1

On 1-3-2017 at 10:24 PM, GetDown said:

A few years ago, WWE used to put a "WWE RAW Old School" show and bring back Red, White and Blue ropes. Pretty cool.

Completely unrelated, but I started watching that clip and had to turn it off within two minutes because of Michael Cole. Jesus fuck, he was intolerable.

1 hour ago, Roman said:

Completely unrelated, but I started watching that clip and had to turn it off within two minutes because of Michael Cole. Jesus fuck, he was intolerable.

I think we all kind of forgot how terrible heel Michael Cole was. I know it sounds bad, but the one good thing about King's heart attack was that it ended that character.

• Like 1

I've always had a soft spot for the boxing-style cornerpads because as a kid I only every saw them on NJPW/WCW crossover shows so they meant "Japan" and I'd get to see cool shit like Muta and Liger.

• Like 1