DVDVR Message Board

NFL OFF FIELD ISSUES

RIPPA

• 2 weeks later...

This definitely falls in off the field issue

NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith says he will tell potential free agents not to sign with the Chicago Bears should new Illinois Senate Bill 12 SA #2 pass.

The bill would adjust the Workers' Compensation Act as it applies to professional athletes, who potentially are entitled to a wage differential award. The new bill would look to eliminate those athletes from being eligible for wage differential awards after age 35.

The law currently allows players to get paid for the term of their natural life which is set at 67 years old. Those wanting change contend pro athletes seldom play beyond age 35 so paying them until 67 because of injury is unfair and expensive.

"I will tell you from the bottom of my heart that this union will tell every potential free-agent player, if this bill passes, to not come to the Bears," Smith told 670 The Score in Chicago. "Because, think about it, if you're a free-agent player and you have an opportunity to go play somewhere else where you can get lifetime medical for the injury you're going to have, isn't a smarter financial decision to go to a team where a bill like this hasn't passed?"

Smith told the Spiegel & Parkins Show on Friday that the bill is being pushed by the McCaskey family which owns the Bears.

"We join the four other major professional Chicago teams in monitoring and supporting changes to the system that protect athletes' rights under the workers' compensation system while acknowledging athletes are not competing professionally until age 67," the Bears responded in a statement released to 670 The Score. "Nothing in the wage differential language under consideration impacts the right for any athlete to receive just compensation for partial or permanent injury, medical benefits or to file a claim itself."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18618138/nflpa-steer-free-agents-signing-chicago-bears-senate-bill-passed

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

He's just an intense asshole.

FTFY

If you get so upset over a charity flag football game that you put hands on the referee, you are an asshole, plain and simple.  I've played in multiple rec leagues and there is always someone who wants to berate a ref, and I have no respect for it. 

No one's been that stupid in a while.  Assaulting an official is an instant 15 yard penalty and ejection.  Probably followed by a very long suspension. 

Last guy who actually did it, I believe was Orlando Brown in '99 or 2000 when the ref accidentally threw a flag at him.

25 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

No one's been that stupid in a while.  Assaulting an official is an instant 15 yard penalty and ejection.  Probably followed by a very long suspension. 

Last guy who actually did it, I believe was Orlando Brown in '99 or 2000 when the ref accidentally threw a flag at him.

A flag illegally weighted down with BBs that injured Brown's eye.

• Like 1

And nearly ended his playing career forever and is sadly dead. At least he got a hefty sum out of the league when he sued them, so hopefully his family is taken care of.

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

A flag illegally weighted down with BBs that injured Brown's eye.

A flag that was intentionally thrown at him. Refs at the time we're instructed to throw flags AT the guy who committed the foul. 

I say we arm the refs with pellet guns and they just shoot any player that comes near them. Tabe's idea not mine, I swear! *lobs bag full of ball bearings at someone*

On 2/7/2017 at 1:47 AM, Tabe said:

A flag that was intentionally thrown at him. Refs at the time we're instructed to throw flags AT the guy who committed the foul. 

I have no idea how good (or bad) you aim has to be to him a player directly in the eye, through a face mask, with a cloth flag weighed down with BBs, but Orlando Brown looked like he was ready to kill that guy...and I fully understand why.  I don't know how many of you have ever been hit in the eye with anything, but let me tell you it fucking hurts.  When I was a kid I was playing catch with my cousin, and I heard a dog bark in the distance and looked away right as my cousin was throwing the ball.  I got hit directly in the eye with the point of the ball and it felt like my brain exploded.  It wasn't just the pain, it's also disorienting in a way I don't think I can describe.  Have you ever played a videogame where they had flash grenades?  Where you are in a room and then someone throws in one of those and the screen is super bright, then super dark, and you can't see, hear, or do anything for about 5-10 seconds.  That is what it is like.

19 hours ago, Tabe said:

I have an irrational amount of dislike for Dungy.

18 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

He's just so God damn sanctimonious and hypocritical and overrated I just can't fucking stand him

The guy most likely drove his gay son to suicide, there's nothing irrational about disliking him.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

The guy most likely drove his gay son to suicide, there's nothing irrational about disliking him.

This is unfair, you have no way of knowing why his son committed suicide and putting it on his father's lap is just cruel for the sake of being cruel.  It's fine not to like someone, but saying that he is the reason his son killed himself is out of line in my view.

13 minutes ago, supremebve said:

This is unfair, you have no way of knowing why his son committed suicide and putting it on his father's lap is just cruel for the sake of being cruel.  It's fine not to like someone, but saying that he is the reason his son killed himself is out of line in my view.

Yeah, I'm sure the fact that dad was a massive Jesus freak evangelical Christian who endorsed far-right and anti-gay organizations had nothing to do with it.  I bet being gay and living in that household was just peachy.  Was it cruel for me to say?  You're right, I should have tempered it a bit more than just saying "likely."   But come on. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

6 or 7 Patriots (so far) have said they're not going to the White House when the team visits later this year. 

Hot takes incoming.  Please find shelter.

And would anyone be so kind as to check what those same peoples hot takes were when players said they wouldn't go to Obama's white house?

• Like 2