DVDVR Message Board

NFL OFF FIELD ISSUES

RIPPA

32 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I really want to know what kind of creatively inept people have a son named Dean and a daughter named Dea. 

George Foreman would be proud

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

I really want to know what kind of creatively inept people have a son named Dean and a daughter named Dea. 

I went to school with a couple of identical twins - and, believe me, they were identical - named William and Willie.

• Haha 1

My name is Jeff, it's a fairly common name and it's never surprising to meet another man named Jeff.  With that said, I've worked with a woman who went by Jeff, short for Jeffersine and another woman who told me her middle name is Jeff, short for Jeffina.  My goal as a Jeff is that if I ever have a daughter to not name her after myself.

• Like 5

My great grandparents deserve some sort of trophy for unoriginal naming.  My grandmother was their sixth child, and only daughter.  Instead of giving her an actual name, the just gave her first and middle initials - V. I.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Robert C said:

My great grandparents deserve some sort of trophy for unoriginal naming.  My grandmother was their sixth child, and only daughter.  Instead of giving her an actual name, the just gave her first and middle initials - V. I.

Is the last name Warshawski? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

On 6/10/2022 at 6:55 PM, supremebve said:

My name is Jeff, it's a fairly common name and it's never surprising to meet another man named Jeff.  With that said, I've worked with a woman who went by Jeff, short for Jeffersine and another woman who told me her middle name is Jeff, short for Jeffina.  My goal as a Jeff is that if I ever have a daughter to not name her after myself.

E9ausfxXEAIkMFM?format=jpg&name=large

They'll let you just name a baby anything you want.

Edited by Zimbra

13 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

E9ausfxXEAIkMFM?format=jpg&name=large

They'll let you just name a baby anything you want.

Not all countries

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21229475

Several countries - such as Germany, Sweden, China and Japan - also restrict names. Why?

In the case of Iceland, it's about meeting certain rules of grammar and gender, and saving the child from possible embarrassment. Sometimes, although not in every case, officials also insist that it must be possible to write the name in Icelandic.

There is a list of 1,853 female names, and 1,712 male ones, and parents must pick from these lists or seek permission from a special committee.

Similar concerns about child welfare are present in Germany, where a Turkish couple were not allowed to call their baby Osama Bin Laden.

One couple named their baby Berlin after the city in which they met, prompting the registrar to mount an objection. He eventually relented after the family's lawyer pointed out that the courts had allowed the name London.

Gender confusion prevented a German boy being Matti, because the sex of the baby wouldn't be obvious. And you won't find any Germans named Merkel, Schroeder or Kohl, either, because surnames are banned as first names.

The name 4Real fell foul of authorities in New Zealand, because names cannot start with a number.

A judge there also made a young girl a ward of court so that she could change the name she hated - Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii.

When Japanese parents register their newborns, the local authorities can say no if they don't think the name is appropriate. In 1993, the name Akuma, meaning "devil", was not permitted.

And in China, people have been forced to change their names because they were deemed too obscure.

1 year suspension?  So.........exactly the amount that both Cleveland and Watson assumed he'd get when they wrote his new contract.  Brilliant plan, NFL.

If the NFL is smart,  and this is a massive if... they'd suspend him for 2 years with time served if he pays back last seasons salary. That isn't perfect,  but it actually seems like a legitimate punishment. They should have suspended him last season,  but they just let it ride out until the courts played out, which is fine except they aren't going to punish him for 2 more seasons and a one season suspension doesn't seem like enough. 

• Like 4

I am trying to find it now but I saw something where the attorney on the NFLPA's side is pushing that Watson isn't suspended at all.

So the usual - if the NFL wants him gone a year, they are gonna have to suspend him for like 2 because the arbiter is gonna slice it in like half. (Kinda the logic folks think MLB used with Trevor Bauer)

So apparently all but 4 cases have been settled which makes me ask, what the fuck took him so long? If he was going to settle it of court, why wait until the entire world hears about how much of a fucking pervert you are?

2 minutes ago, supremebve said:

So apparently all but 4 cases have been settled which makes me ask, what the fuck took him so long? If he was going to settle it of court, why wait until the entire world hears about how much of a fucking pervert you are?

Because Rusty Hardin is a terrible attorney?

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

I'm guessing there was a lot of pressure from the Texans to make this go away before they actually got dragged into court.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

This is certainly... a take

Salguero is always great for those insane takes.  jfc.  

Looking at this now, my cynical/conspiratorial mind says the NFL has told him what the punishment is going to be if he does or does not get rid of these cases, and his legal team is acting with extreme haste.   

I'm gonna guess the NFL Wheel o' Justice says 8 games, the arbitrator says 4.  And we get a big "WELCOME BACK DESHAUN" puff piece in time for Cleveland to take on the Chargers.   (Should be noted too, that the Brownies are quite potentially 4-0 at that point, regardless of who's QB.) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawful Metal said:

I don’t understand the strategy 

Is been almost 2 whole years of people looking into his bedroom with a microscope and they decide to settle the lawsuits now... it doesn't make any sense. He knows what he did better than any of us,  and if paying to get this to go away was an option why wait?