DVDVR Message Board

NFL OFF FIELD ISSUES

RIPPA

18 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Because you work for a red-raced asshole.

I can't argue with that, but I can usually at least follow Coughlin's insanity. I get the fines for being "late" when guys aren't early enough (it's bullshit, but I get it.) I can grasp "we want you doing off season injury treatments here with our doctors where we can see you" from a micromanaging asshole.

But "Player is hurt so he can't play. Hurt player sat on bench during game, fine him!" I can't even follow the asshole logic to that one.

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I can't argue with that, but I can usually at least follow Coughlin's insanity. I get the fines for being "late" when guys aren't early enough (it's bullshit, but I get it.) I can grasp "we want you doing off season injury treatments here with our doctors where we can see you" from a micromanaging asshole.

But "Player is hurt so he can't play. Hurt player sat on bench during game, fine him!" I can't even follow the asshole logic to that one.

The medical thing is absurd to me.  I generally have an issue with getting medical treatment from someone who is treating you on behalf of someone else.  Speaking of, what ever happened with the dude from the Jets who was getting fined for not playing because he needed surgery the team didn't want him to get?  

Just now, supremebve said:

The medical thing is absurd to me.  I generally have an issue with getting medical treatment from someone who is treating you on behalf of someone else.  Speaking of, what ever happened with the dude from the Jets who was getting fined for not playing because he needed surgery the team didn't want him to get?  

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't think the players should have to do the treatment there. I can just understand why someone like Coughlin would want them to.

4 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't think the players should have to do the treatment there. I can just understand why someone like Coughlin would want them to.

The thing that kills me is how much money they are trying to take from these guys over stuff like this.  $700K for going to your own doctor, and $99K for sitting down.  I can't believe they thought they would get away with those fines.

The plan was apparently to let Coughlin go at the end of the season but the NFLPA sent a letter to all the players saying don’t fucking sign with the Jags so the team went into damage control 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Jesus Christ. I wonder what else we'll find out about Coughlin's tenure there. What a loon.

Am I the only one who remembers the Giants mutiny?  There was a group of players in 2006 who basically looked him in the face and said, "Fuck you and your stupid ass rules."  Honestly, most coaches with his resume are beloved by his players.  It's amazing how many of his best players have nothing at all good to say about him.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

The Jaguars moved the clocks in the facility to the correct time, as Coughlin had them five minutes fast, because if you're not five minutes early for a meeting, you are late. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28336072/after-tom-coughlin-firing-was-right-jaguars-fix-clocks

If you do stuff like this, you're a poor leader. You've undermined yourself before you've even started. 

I'm a stickler for being on time, but I don't understand changing all the clocks in the building. If they show up at 12:00(really 11:55) they still think they're on time - not 5 minutes early. You're just using your own man hours to accommodate their inability to be 5 minutes early. A waste of....time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Gonzo said:

I have a question that most likely no one here will be able to answer, but what is battery?  Is battery worse than assault?  Is battery one of those things that means something different in every single state?  When I hear battery, I expect someone beating the bejesus out of someone.  I read the story about this, and while what he did was wrong, it was much less than I was expecting.  This was someone going overboard while restraining someone.  

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
4 hours ago, supremebve said:

I have a question that most likely no one here will be able to answer, but what is battery?  Is battery worse than assault?  Is battery one of those things that means something different in every single state?  When I hear battery, I expect someone beating the bejesus out of someone.  I read the story about this, and while what he did was wrong, it was much less than I was expecting.  This was someone going overboard while restraining someone.  

It varies state to state, but to my understanding, assault is the threat of physical harm (as in, I have threatened to punch you), and the definition of battery is the act of physical harm (as in, I have punched you).

Some states refer to battery as "assault", and some states refer to battery as "assault and battery", it's all complicated for no reason.

1 hour ago, Stefanie the Human said:

It varies state to state, but to my understanding, assault is the threat of physical harm (as in, I have threatened to punch you), and the definition of battery is the act of physical harm (as in, I have punched you).

Some states refer to battery as "assault", and some states refer to battery as "assault and battery", it's all complicated for no reason.

That's helpful thanks.  I don't know why, but I feel like I've thought assault was something simple like you punched some dude in the face, but battery was when you go overboard and stomp on his head or something.  I don't know, but there needs to be some sort of scale for these type of things.  I read a tweet about domestic battery and thought, "oh my god, this dude beat the hell out of a woman." He grabbed her wrists and held her against a wall, which is not ideal, but far from what I actually expected.  

This is Assault, okay not really, but it's the first thing that came to mind, also I never noticed the description for Allred before, eh...
mmqVJe.gif

• Haha 2