DVDVR Message Board

NFL OFF FIELD ISSUES

RIPPA

Someone who really, REALLY should be focusing on much bigger issues, decided to take credit for an anonymous source saying 10% of teams (read ~3) don't want to sign Colin Kaepernick because they don't "want a nasty tweet."  

The felony charges against Adam "Pacman" Jones have been dropped.  The prosecutor said this about the charges, "It was a pretty ... ticky tack kind of charge."  Once again, the story didn't make any sense when it happened, and it could have all been avoided if we stopped trying to arrest people for things that aren't crimes.

• Like 1

He still has three misdemeanor charges pending, there just wasn't enough evidence for the felony. Its not that he didn't commit a crime, he just didn't commit a very bad crime. Minimally he acted poorly, but I doubt he'll get anything more then community service if the misdemeanor charges stick around. The felony was ticky tacky because there wasn't evidence he intentionally spit at the nurse, which hopefully it wasn't intentional as spitting on people is pretty gross. 

1 minute ago, Kevin Wilson said:

He still has three misdemeanor charges pending, there just wasn't enough evidence for the felony. Its not that he didn't commit a crime, he just didn't commit a very bad crime. Minimally he acted poorly, but I doubt he'll get anything more then community service if the misdemeanor charges stick around. The felony was ticky tacky because there wasn't evidence he intentionally spit at the nurse, which hopefully it wasn't intentional as spitting on people is pretty gross. 

Every single one of those charges seem to be a product of him being arrested, not that he actually did something to be arrested.  Here is another quote from the prosecutor, "It's not really a priority. It really is not. If he had truly assaulted someone -- truly hurt someone, which he did not -- that's a different story. ... Adam Jones was not violent, but he was in fact disorderly. ... He was just being, for lack of a better term, an idiot."  Being an idiot is not a crime, he should have been removed from the building and sent on his way.  Arresting him didn't do anything but make everything worse for everyone involved.  It was unneccesary and caused more problems than it solved.

The counterargument is, sometimes people get detained because they are acting like idiots to give them a chance to cool down before they do commit a more serious crime (pushing someone is a crime by the way, I know you've said before that's normal to you but its not for everyone and isn't legal), and if they just get more disorderly then they get arrested. Its possible that Pacman only went into anger management and counseling afterwards to look good, but the fact he did do it shows maybe (just maybe) he realizes he didn't react properly to the situation. So everything isn't worse for everyone involved if the incident helped convince Pacman to get some help for his personal issues which it seems to have to if you believe him.

3 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

The counterargument is, sometimes people get detained because they are acting like idiots to give them a chance to cool down before they do commit a more serious crime (pushing someone is a crime by the way, I know you've said before that's normal to you but its not for everyone and isn't legal), and if they just get more disorderly then they get arrested. Its possible that Pacman only went into anger management and counseling afterwards to look good, but the fact he did do it shows maybe (just maybe) he realizes he didn't react properly to the situation. So everything isn't worse for everyone involved if the incident helped convince Pacman to get some help for his personal issues which it seems to have to if you believe him.

You honestly believe that people should go to jail for pushing someone?  

28 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I believe they should be arrested if the person files a complaint, yes. Not get thrown in a cell. Did you know that if you push someone over, they hit their head on the ground and die, its a crime? Or is it ok to push someone as long as they don't leave their feet? What if a 400 pound man pushes a 100 pound woman, is that ok too? Assault is assault, there are certainly many different levels but its still a crime either way.

Edit to say: I think this is likely a social issue you and I won't ever agree on, but I do agree that people shouldn't be up-charged and it is good that Pacman is getting help as he kinda has a history of losing his temper.

• Like 1

I'd let you both shove me, but then shockingly file charges later on after you've both left and I have filmed evidence from a hidden camera.

• 3 weeks later...

Aaron Hernandez has been found guilty of unlawful possession of a firearm.  

He has been acquitted by a jury of all other charges. 

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/04/14/sixth-day-deliberations-aaron-hernandez-double-murder-trial-start/FvbRSR9XtY1APZ5EnLnwtL/story.html

That case was always a bit iffy. Not saying he didn't do it, but its hard to convict without a weapon or trustworthy witness. Feel bad for the families since I'm sure they would have liked some type of closure, but either way Hernandez isn't going anywhere.

• Like 1

He is, that's Florida law, if you're fount not guilty of one charge, but are already serving time, you get set free and are given a handgun and 50k $ and some bath salts.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Ryan said:

He is, that's Florida law, if you're fount not guilty of one charge, but are already serving time, you get set free and are given a handgun and 50k $ and some bath salts.

Read enough Carl Hiaasen stuff and that's believable. . . .

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 4:05 PM, supremebve said:

Yes, since if it is done in a threatening manner, it fits the legal definition of battery.

No one has the right to put their hands on you if you don't want them to.

What baffles me is that the language most assholes use to provoke the battery usually qualifies as simple assault, so reciprocity should come in the form of calling 911 on the asshole who is in your face instead of getting yourself into trouble following bad behavior with more bad behavior.

• 4 weeks later...

This is Oakland HC Jack Del Rio talking about Seth Rich. (Google it, shake your head, return.)

Jack Del Rio should probably stop talking about Seth Rich. 

• 2 weeks later...