DVDVR Message Board

NFL OFF FIELD ISSUES

RIPPA

And in the "oh boy" section of things, 110 of 111 NFL Players in an autopsy study had CTE. 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/07/25/sports/football/nfl-cte.html?hp&target=comments

This comes with the grain of salt that there is a MASSIVE selection bias at play. The brains donated were for players whose families said had displayed signs of CTE. And those collected represented ~9% of the total deaths among NFL players. But, Jesus...

16 hours ago, supremebve said:

Lucky "I need a new nickname" Whitehead, got cut from the Cowboys for getting arrested for shoplifting then skipping his court date.  Except, he didn't actually steal anything.  He wasn't even in the state where the stealing happened.  

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Wait, what? I'm beyond confused. If he didn't steal anything and wasn't in the state when it happened...then how could he be guilty of any wrongdoing?

Someone, who did steal something told the police he was Lucky Whitehead, and somehow knew his social security number.

It almost has to be someone who is tangentially related to Whitehead - unless criminals are now just memorize random folks details on the off change the cops bust them

But yeah - basically the story is

• Dude robs a Wawa. Gets caught
  • Doesn't have ID
  • Gives the cops Whitehead's name, birthday AND social security number
  • Cops run it and the picture that comes up looks "close enough" to the guy that was arrested that he gets a citation to appear in court. Except the citation is for Whitehead.
  • Court date comes and the guy who was caught obviously no show. Warrant for Whitehead's arrest is issued.
  • Whitehead and his agent both say they didn't even know about the court date until the media asked them about it.
  • His agent provides proof that Whitehead was either on a plane or had flow within 2 hours of the time the dude was getting busted (I forget the exact details here)
  • The cops confirm it was mistaken ID

17 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Cops run it and the picture that comes up looks "close enough"

I really want to see what the actual thief looks like.  Police and their opinion of what is "close enough," gets tricky.  

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It almost has to be someone who is tangentially related to Whitehead - unless criminals are now just memorize random folks details on the off change the cops bust them

But yeah - basically the story is

• Dude robs a Wawa. Gets caught
  • Doesn't have ID
  • Gives the cops Whitehead's name, birthday AND social security number
  • Cops run it and the picture that comes up looks "close enough" to the guy that was arrested that he gets a citation to appear in court. Except the citation is for Whitehead.
  • Court date comes and the guy who was caught obviously no show. Warrant for Whitehead's arrest is issued.
  • Whitehead and his agent both say they didn't even know about the court date until the media asked them about it.
  • Gets fired
  • His agent provides proof that Whitehead was either on a plane or had flow within 2 hours of the time the dude was getting busted (I forget the exact details here)
  • The cops confirm it was mistaken ID

You left out an important bit ;)

That is kind of the flaw in the court system, proving something didn't happen is hard as hell.  

"Where were you between the hours of 11:30PM and 6:00 AM on September 24th?"  

"I was sleep." 

"Can you prove that?"

"I was sleep, with my wife."

"Sorry, she can't testify in a trial where you are being charged."

"You want me to prove what time I was sleep on some random day in September, but I can't call on the only witness?"

"If you don't want to go to jail, yeah."

If you get charged with a crime you didn't commit, that is essentially the process.  It is damn near impossible to prove a negative.

• Like 2

On 7/25/2017 at 2:40 PM, RIPPA said:

That story is so fucking weird

I mean the dude arrested in VA just HAPPENED to have Whitehead's date of birth and social security # fucking memorized

It sounds like he was up all night to get Lucky.

. . .

I'm sorry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Was listening to Joe and Evan on WFAN (My first mistake) when the topic of that naive kid on the Jets who said a football field would be the perfect place to die came up (and worse the fans in attendance who wildly cheered that comment). Joe talked about how as a Jets fan he loved the comment because it showed his "commitment" to the team. Evan agreed. I turned off my radio in disgust. The perfect place to die is in a hospital in your 90's surrounded by your children, your grandchildren and your great grandchildren. It is NOT on a football field in your early 20's. The fact that needs to be said is scary.

• Like 4

This is the issue with both of those cases, which I realize has been stated - I'm not really a fan of the NFL doing really long investigations and coming to a different conclusion than cops/prosecutors did. Its not that I think cops/prosecutors are perfect and always make the right decision, I just think its still an over-reaction to the Ray Rice situation which was different since there was a video that they saw and then did nothing about until the public saw it. If someone committed domestic battery, I am all  for throwing the book at them. But the iffy "well he may have but we can't prove it for sure" cases that drag six months or a year or longer don't do anyone any favors.

The burden of proof is different. For example Greg Hardy being found not guilty in a court of law didnt mean he couldn't have been disciplined for those action through behavior/code of conduct policies of the NFL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EdA said:

Yeah, well she signed an affadavit at the scene absolving him of any physical violence.  And there's apparently tape showing he did nothing.  

So, no puppy gifs for you. 

18 hours ago, Infinit said:

The burden of proof is different. For example Greg Hardy being found not guilty in a court of law didnt mean he couldn't have been disciplined for those action through behavior/code of conduct policies of the NFL.

Hardy was a bizarro case where they had proof and testimony, he was charged and found guilty in one trial, then he was only found 'not guilty' when the person he abused didn't cooperate the second time. These two cases there weren't even charges, let alone a trial where evidence came out that the NFL could use to make their own conclusion. So there is a lot less to pull a conclusive result from which is why the NFL has been "investigating" for a full year. I'm all for people getting punished for domestic abuse, I just don't trust the NFL to do a 'better" investigation than the prosecutors did.