DVDVR Message Board

NFL OFF FIELD ISSUES

RIPPA

Due to fat fingers - the Stupidity thread went bye bye when trying to clean up.

Honestly - I really don't want to create another thread but I don't want it in the weekly threads plus it will make it easier for me to ban the lot of you.

Especially around 4:30 or so tomorrow

Something something, Greg Hardy, something something, Ray Rice, something something, Mike Ditka, something something, freak mud-wrestling accident. Tie it together. The strings are there.

Speaking of Greg Hardy, Reports: Free agent DE Greg Hardy arrested on drug charge

Former NFL defensive end Greg Hardy has been arrested on a drug charge, police have confirmed according to multiple reports.

Hardy was arrested in Richardson, Texas, for possession of a controlled substance shortly before midnight on Sunday night, according to reports.

Police have said that Hardy was in possession of a penalty group 1 drug. In Texas, that group of drugs includes cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, ketamine, oxycodone and hyrdocodone.

He remained in the Richardson County jail as of Monday afternoon, with a bond set at $5,000, according to reports.

Not to sound to pessimistic but he may have failed another test and it just hasn't been released yet. Otherwise it would seem like odd timing to wait to go into rehab after not playing in almost two years right as you're about to be able to play again. Some people are just in denial that they need professional help with their problem, hopefully this is the step that he needs to finally clean up his life. Which is more important than playing football. I'd be shocked at this point if he ever plays football again but he has to take care of himself first before we'll know for sure.

• Like 1

THe Redskins decision is meaningless.  They were trying to bypass the Federal Courts rolling their case into another case in front of the Supreme Court regarding trademarks.  A Portland band called The Slants (Asian band members) are fighting a decision and appeal over their trademark.  The Supreme Court does not like taking cases before the Federal courts have their say.

Here is the band's Wiki page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Slants

Chances are the Federal Appeals Court is waiting to hear what the Supreme Court says about The Slants case before rendering a decision.

Free speech is touchy subject.  This will be a closely watched case for the long-term ramifications.

• 3 weeks later...

I honestly don't know what to do with any of this Josh Brown news.  I'm sure he's a terrible person, but we let terrible people work at all kinds of jobs.  He's never been arrested, charged, convicted, or anything...and somehow he's never going to be able to work again.  I don't really know if that is justice or if we just collectively said, "Fuck that guy."  The crazy thing is that the news that got him thrown out of the league was gathered from journals that he wrote when he was trying to get help for this "problem."  What exactly is this helping?  We aren't helping him, his battered wife, or anyone else.  I don't feel better that he's gone, I don't even know what this dude looks like.  I always feel terrible when they don't punish these guys enough, and when they just throw them out on the street.  

It is more about PR than trying to help people, they aren't actually concerned with the people involved. There is some equation somewhere GMs and Owners use to figure out if the PR hit is worth the skill of the player, based off how good they are on the field and how bad what they did off the field was. That is why AD and Hardy were brought back but Rice and Brown won't be. AD and Hardy (on paper) were good enough players that the teams were willing to put up with the PR issues, while Rice and Brown aren't.

6 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

It is more about PR than trying to help people, they aren't actually concerned with the people involved. There is some equation somewhere GMs and Owners use to figure out if the PR hit is worth the skill of the player, based off how good they are on the field and how bad what they did off the field was. That is why AD and Hardy were brought back but Rice and Brown won't be. AD and Hardy (on paper) were good enough players that the teams were willing to put up with the PR issues, while Rice and Brown aren't.

The crazy thing is that the PR for the league is probably at its worst.  Honestly I think the worst PR move they ever made was when they decided they were going to try to crack down on off the field misbehavior.  They have absolutely no idea how to handle any of these things.  Their entire process seems to be to just wait until we see how pissed people are, and then either ignore what the guy did or throw him out of the league forever.  There are no steps in between.  Nothing these guys can do to redeem themselves.  No real due process. Nothing.  You are either completely and totally good to go, or you are completely or totally out of the league.  That isn't how this type of thing is supposed to work.  People shouldn't have to either be infallible or disposable.  

The thing with Brown is if the NFL had done what they said there policy would be, ie 6 games no questions. And then had it reduced during appeals. Then when this new info comes out they at least would have had the cover of saying they did what they said they would do. But I think they figured hes a kicker no one will care.

18 minutes ago, muhammedboehm said:

The thing with Brown is if the NFL had done what they said there policy would be, ie 6 games no questions. And then had it reduced during appeals. Then when this new info comes out they at least would have had the cover of saying they did what they said they would do. But I think they figured hes a kicker no one will care.

Has that policy ever actually been applied?  The problem is that they behave like they don't have a policy.

• Like 1

The thing about him never being charged and all that doesn't matter in the end since the NFL can basically do almost anything it wants to protect its branding. They'll re-instate Rae Carruth in however many years when he gets out of jail and let him do something. He'll be 44, let him play a game! He may die on the field for various reasons.

In custody at Tyrrell Prison Work Farm, Columbia, North Carolina; projected release date October 22, 2018

2 minutes ago, Ryan said:

The thing about him never being charged and all that doesn't matter in the end since the NFL can basically do almost anything it wants to protect its branding. They'll re-instate Rae Carruth in however many years when he gets out of jail and let him do something.

Of course they can do whatever they want, that is part of the problem.  The reason that we question these decisions is because they could literally do anything they want, and no one can ever understand why they made the decisions that they made.  They could have got rid of Josh Brown before the season started, but he ended up with a contract extension instead.  Why did they do that?  Some news comes out that reinforces what we already knew, and somehow he has to go.  Why did they do that?  Why didn't they just use the stated policy, and avoid all of this bullshit?  Seriously they can legit do whatever the fuck they want and every single thing they do leaves us confused at best and outraged at worst.