DVDVR Message Board

NFL OFF FIELD ISSUES

RIPPA

The anti-"Pay The Players" spokesman has been found.  He said “My jersey was one of the top-three selling jerseys in the world, and I didn’t make a dollar from it. But nor did I want to.” He is also blaming a culture of selfishness.  

And if you haven't figured out it's Tim Tebow by now, I don't know what to tell you. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The NFL is no longer looking to expand its schedule to 18 games, and will instead try to add one more game in the next CBA.  

The players should still strike. 

The players don't make enough to strike.  I know it sounds crazy, but most of the players in the NFL aren't making enough to skip pay checks.  The average salary is about $2.1 million a year, but the outrageous quarterback salaries make that average way higher than it actually is for the majority of the players.  The majority of players only play like 3 years and most of those guys are getting paid in the $300-500K range.  That's a good ass job, but if you are 22 and have no savings that isn't money you can skip...especially when there is a very good chance that you won't ever have another job that pays that much.  They have to get that money while they can, and going on strike is the opposite of that. 

• Like 1

I'll never understand why the NFL doesn't try a revamped version of the "two bye weeks" concept they did once (93ish?)

They made some major structural mistakes that year (like the Niners having their weeks consecutively) but now that they are more used to scheduling around a bye week, and we have these London games and similar that byes help with a lot, and a burning desire to expand the schedule... Just add a week, without adding games.

• Like 6

On 9/29/2019 at 12:45 PM, Brian Fowler said:

I'll never understand why the NFL doesn't try a revamped version of the "two bye weeks" concept they did once (93ish?)

They made some major structural mistakes that year (like the Niners having their weeks consecutively) but now that they are more used to scheduling around a bye week, and we have these London games and similar that byes help with a lot, and a burning desire to expand the schedule... Just add a week, without adding games.

They really don't want to start the regular season before Labor Day or push the Super Bowl deeper into February without the kicker of an extra home game each season or every other season if they would go to 18 or 17 games.

Edited by happjack

What's funny is that a lot of people having been pushing for the NFL to play the Super Bowl on President's Day week so that folks would have the Monday off after the Super Bowl

But yeah - they are already rolling the dice weather wise in a lot of places - pushing back two weeks isn't ideal

(Not to mention TV wanting the Super Bowl at the start of the month since sweeps is still considered the big February thing)

In an interview that's sure to cause some righteous HARUMPFS! and pearl clutching...  Percy Harvin has said he smoked marijuana before EVERY game he played.  

(The sound you heard was Josh Gordon throwing his bong through his television.)

• Haha 2

On 10/2/2019 at 9:28 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

In an interview that's sure to cause some righteous HARUMPFS! and pearl clutching...  Percy Harvin has said he smoked marijuana before EVERY game he played.  

(The sound you heard was Josh Gordon throwing his bong through his television.)

Harvin is lying but it sure would explain his play. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Harvin is lying but it sure would explain his play. 

What is it about Percy Harvin that makes you think he's lying about anything?  That dude is just waiting for someone to accuse him of lying so he can have a righteous excuse to punch him in the face.  The best part of that interview is his telling of the story where he beat up Golden Tate and threw him in a trash can.

On 10/3/2019 at 11:19 AM, supremebve said:

What is it about Percy Harvin that makes you think he's lying about anything?  That dude is just waiting for someone to accuse him of lying so he can have a righteous excuse to punch him in the face.  The best part of that interview is his telling of the story where he beat up Golden Tate and threw him in a trash can.

Because it's a way of creating some fake tough guy persona. "I was high all the time!" I should probably have said exaggerating instead of lying but same idea. 

55 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Because it's a way of creating some fake tough guy persona. "I was high all the time!" I should probably have said exaggerating instead of lying but same idea. 

I find it fairly easy to believe.  You expect one of the legitimately scariest dudes in the history of the league is trying to create a fake tough guy persona?  He's Percy Harvin.  He's the one dude on that historically crazy Florida team that the entire team agrees is the one you don't want any problems with.  Aaron Hernandez was on that team.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

San Francisco has suspended their broadcaster Tim Ryan for, and I can't believe I'm typing this, saying Lamar Jackson has an unfair advantage because he's got dark skin, and the football is dark, and the Ravens uniforms are dark.  

jfc.  

He's apologized. 

See, it's like camouflage! You know, if you're a fucking idiot and if you're not looking at the damn football itself in bright lights like all players are trained to do.

JFC is right. If you told me Tim Ryan also went full Calvin Candie and explained that the bumps in Jackson's skull are also different then I would probably believe you.

It's going to be 2020 and people in these positions have only become dumber or more bigoted for fucks sake.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Tom Coughlin and the Jaguars made injury treatment and conditioning mandatory on-site activities.  They fined a player $700,000 for doing his own treatments.  The player and the NFLPA filed a grievance

An arbitrator has, of course, told that old mummy Coughlin that he can't do that shit.  

You know it's an egregiously bad situation when the weakest union in all pro sports wins a case. 

(Oh, and the unidentified player in the lawsuit outed himself)

• Like 1