DVDVR Message Board

NFL OFF FIELD ISSUES

RIPPA

11 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

I will only care if he brings Janet Jackson with him.

The fact that she was blackballed and he was not still amazes me.  Seriously, if you would rather listen to Justin Timberlake than Janet Jackson we are not friends and never will be.  

• Like 4

Folks were trying to start a rumor that she would show up as "Surprise" during Timberlake's performance

But as already pointed out - she has a tour date the same night as the Super Bowl so if that gets cancelled, everyone is gonna know why

Network executives never have warmed to the expansion of “Thursday Night Football” from eight NFL Network-only games to 18 over NFL Network, CBS and NBC. Media executives and some sponsors informally have lobbied the NFL to move back to an eight-game, NFL Network-only package that would return 10 games to the Sunday afternoon packages.

Network executives also want to kill the four early morning games from London, time slots that may work well in Britain but do not bring big ratings to U.S. networks.

Media executives would like to move those games into the 1 p.m. ET time slot, or 6 p.m. locally in London. The league’s international executives have resisted making that move because they do not think the later time slot would work as well in London.

Those two moves would return 14 games to Sunday afternoons, strengthen the core product and potentially keep fans from suffering from football fatigue by Sunday and Monday night.

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

The fact that she was blackballed and he was not still amazes me.  Seriously, if you would rather listen to Justin Timberlake than Janet Jackson we are not friends and never will be.  

I honestly don't think she's blackballed. Hell, it's been 14 years since any of them have done anything NFL related. I do think they both were for a time

22 hours ago, Craig H said:

I would rather listen to Justin Timberlake than Janet Jackson because Justin Timberlake is fucking awesome.

Why can't we like both?  They're both awesome and even if you take out "the incident" I highly enjoyed their halftime show.  Which reminds me, Janet's performing in Baltimore soon and I'm awfully tempted to go.

And I'd be fine with cutting back on NFL Network games and the later time for London.  I'm not certain how London would feel about 6pm games but if it's cool with them then that'd be a nice compromise.

7 hours ago, Death From Above said:

No, Janet Jackson was blackballed from performing her non-existent quality new music she's been churning out in the 21st century, dummy.

Seriously, she actually was blackballed from almost every relevant music thing in the country.  CBS, which is owned by Clear Channel, had to pay a huge fine from that incident and all of the blame went to her, while Justin Timberlake was treated like an innocent bystander.  She was banned from The Grammys that year, while Justin was allowed to perform.  All of her music was banned from all Clear Channel television and radio stations, which pretty much ended her career. Janet Jackson has hits on top of hits, but you can't hear them on MTV, BET, or the largest radio conglomerate in the country.  Seriously, can you remember the last time you heard a Janet Jackson song on the radio?  Her quality new music doesn't exist, because it hasn't been allowed to exist (by the way she has 2 platinum albums in the 21st century, including one after she was banned from radio and television).  She received 100% of the backlash, while Justin Timberlake was able to walk away from the incident with no repercussions.  

• Like 7

For the record, CBS was owned at the time by Viacom, not Clear Channel.  It is now operated by the CBS Corporation. 

Also, Janet has done fine since her blackballing from the NFL, she has released 4 albums, two of which peaked at #2, the other two peaked at #1.  She also has toured very successfully. 

Also, as for DFA's comment that she was blackballed because she hasn't put out good new music since 2004: Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, Prince, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, The Who, Madonna, Usher, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Missy Elliott all say Hi. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

For the record, CBS was owned at the time by Viacom, not Clear Channel.  It is now operated by the CBS Corporation. 

Also, Janet has done fine since her blackballing from the NFL, she has released 4 albums, two of which peaked at #2, the other two peaked at #1.  She also has toured very successfully. 

I didn't realize the CBS/Clear Channel merger was after the ban, but both companies banned her.  Being banned by Clear Channel and Viacom is essentially blackballing someone from the music industry.  She has done fine, because she's one of the most beloved singers of her time.  The fact that those albums did so well with essentially no American radio play is amazing, but those albums did far worse than any of her other work.  All of this is not really addressing my point which was her punishment for the incident was extreme, while Justin Timberlake's punishment was completely non-existent, when they committed the crime together.  People are acting like Justin Timberlake being invited to the Super Bowl is a sign that all is forgiven, when he never paid a price for the original act.  She was repeatedly publicly shamed and lost millions of dollars in royalties, and is never going to be invited back.  I'm not OK with how she was treated.  I'm not OK with the discrepancy between their punishments.  I'm not OK with him not having her back while going through all of this.  All of this rubs me the wrong way, and that is all before going into the racial/gender issues that allow a black woman to be discarded while a white man gets to continue on unscathed for the same exact incident.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Death From Above said:

No, Janet Jackson was blackballed from performing her non-existent quality new music she's been churning out in the 21st century, dummy.

How much new music has Tom Petty, The Rolling Stones and Paul McCartney churned out in the 21st Century?? Lol

55 minutes ago, Infinit said:

How much new music has Tom Petty, The Rolling Stones and Paul McCartney churned out in the 21st Century?? Lol

Not only that, her career is comparable to those artists, despite never getting that kind of credit.  Does anyone look at any of the below artists and criticize them for not having any hits this decade?  Janet Jackson is legitimately an all-time great pop artist.

Janet Jackson

She had seven #1 albums including five in a row and the two that didn't reach #1 in that span peaked at #2.  She also had ten #1 singles.

Tom Petty

He had one #1 album and zero #1 singles.

The Rolling Stones had ten #1 albums including four in a row and six that peaked at #2.  The Stones had seven #1 singles.

Paul McCartney (As a solo artist, because The Beatles aren't walking through that door)

He had six #1 albums and 9 #1 singles.  

This is about to turn into a Janet Jackson appreciation thread in the Music Folder.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, supremebve said:

This is about to turn into a Janet Jackson appreciation thread in the Music Folder.

I honestly hope you do this.  She's been under-appreciated in recent years and it'd be nice to show her some love (was thinking about her songs this morning actually).  Plus it'd be nice to appreciate somebody online that's still living and not just when they pass on.

• 2 months later...

As someone not biased at all in this discussion, I always assume corners, lineman, etc. say all kinds of awful shit to each other to try to get under their opponent's skin, and there is a reason they don't have live mics down on the field any more than necessary. So sounds like a whole lot of nothin', even if Incognito said something 'offensive' I'm sure he wouldn't be the first nor the last. And as Dawkins pointed out, if he said something over the top I am sure Mills, Miller, Dawkins, etc. would have told him to knock it off.

Yeah, back when Manon Rheaume had those exhibition games with the Lightning back in the day, she said she heard the worst stuff you could possibly imagine.  

On point, Warren Sapp has said Incognito called him the N word during a game, but knew he was doing it to draw Sapp into getting a penalty, so he laughed it off. 

On 1/8/2018 at 10:26 AM, odessasteps said:

I’ve always heard from hockey folks that the banter is horrible on the ice and players would never be live miked. 

the "your wife's a lesbian" scene in Slapshot has been described to me as "basically accurate" as well.

I assume linemen (who already effectively admit to hitting each other in the genitals to get an advantage in fumble scrums) use every applicable slur on each other during a game in much the same way.

On 1/8/2018 at 12:27 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Yeah, back when Manon Rheaume had those exhibition games with the Lightning back in the day, she said she heard the worst stuff you could possibly imagine.  

On point, Warren Sapp has said Incognito called him the N word during a game, but knew he was doing it to draw Sapp into getting a penalty, so he laughed it off. 

I would bet a really nice steak dinner that Sapp said equivalent stuff himself. 

• Like 1

Ngakoue says he doesn't remember if Incognito dropped the N-bomb him or not but "he knows what he said"

And the Bills management is indeed using the "Eh - it's on the field they say terrible things to each other all the time" defense