DVDVR Message Board

NFL OFF FIELD ISSUES

RIPPA

10 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Josh Huff charged with some gun and drug offenses. He isn't denying it, really. Course the Eagles are supporting him because its that must-win time of the year, if he does end up getting a couple games suspension (two games sounds about right based off past suspensions) it probably won't be til next September.

I take back the "the Eagles are supporting him" part. Looks like his post-incident interview didn't do him any favors.

There is one thing that I'll never understand...if you have some weed and an illegal gun in your car, why the fuck are you speeding?  Honestly, I want to know how many gun and drug charges begin with being pulled over for speeding.  I imagine it is well over 50%.  I was listening to an interview with the rapper Schoolboy Q, and he was talking about how he doesn't have a drivers license.  The interviewer asked him why and he was like, "I grew up in South Central L.A., I joined the Crips when I was 12, I like to smoke weed, and I'm black.  If I get pulled over when driving, I'm going to get searched every single time."  If you want to smoke weed and tote guns, two crimes that are only crimes sometimes, you'd probably be OK if you don't speed while doing it.  The only reason the cops knew he had a gun is because they pulled him over for speeding.  

This has been a public service announcement for how not to get arrested for gun and/or weed possession.  

• Like 3

Also the small issue that he may have had the gun at the Eagles facility. He denied it, but he was caught speeding after he was at the facility and it takes a bit of a leap to think he left the facility, went to pick up his gun at a random place, then was on his way home.

I'll give him some credit for not trying to say none of it was his or that he didn't know he had the gun, in his case it was probably just a legitimate lack of knowledge about the laws since he has a permit for it in Texas. But I think his comments got him in more trouble with the Eagles than the charges (or the potential gun-at-facility-issue) since generally players aren't cut for issues related to having guns or having a personal-use amount of weed. Something happened to change their mind since yesterday they said he'd still play this Sunday then *poof* cut.

22 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Also the small issue that he may have had the gun at the Eagles facility. He denied it, but he was caught speeding after he was at the facility and it takes a bit of a leap to think he left the facility, went to pick up his gun at a random place, then was on his way home.

I'll give him some credit for not trying to say none of it was his or that he didn't know he had the gun, in his case it was probably just a legitimate lack of knowledge about the laws since he has a permit for it in Texas. But I think his comments got him in more trouble with the Eagles than the charges (or the potential gun-at-facility-issue) since generally players aren't cut for issues related to having guns or having a personal-use amount of weed. Something happened to change their mind since yesterday they said he'd still play this Sunday then *poof* cut.

I love that every city, state, whatever has a different gun law, and we expect people from all over the country to know when they get wherever it is they go.  If he was in some other place it wouldn't even be a crime.  If he played for the Broncos, would we care?

• Like 1

I only blame him for that because it wasn't a short term move, it was where he lived 9 months of the year (at least) and worked. I feel bad for people that are just traveling through states and don't know the laws, it would be nice if it was more uniform across the board. But he had plenty of time to know the laws.

But just for that he probably would have gotten a slap on the wrist legally and maybe a two game suspension tops. Bradham made a similar 'mistake' in bringing a gun where he shouldn't and he is still playing. So I just have to assume the Eagles found out more in regards to where he had the gun or really really didn't like his interview.

2 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I only blame him for that because it wasn't a short term move, it was where he lived 9 months of the year (at least) and worked. I feel bad for people that are just traveling through states and don't know the laws, it would be nice if it was more uniform across the board. But he had plenty of time to know the laws.

But just for that he probably would have gotten a slap on the wrist legally and maybe a two game suspension tops. Bradham made a similar 'mistake' in bringing a gun where he shouldn't and he is still playing. So I just have to assume the Eagles found out more in regards to where he had the gun or really really didn't like his interview.

If he's going to carry a gun, he should know the laws.  His gun wasn't loaded, he only had a small amount of weed, and for most of the country he would have been let go scott free.  I'm just saying it is a completely ridiculous system when you can go to prison if you have a gun in some places, but you can't even get a ticket in others.  I honestly don't think you should be able to catch a charge for having a gun that is registered in a different state.  Sure he acted like an asshole during the interview, but he's out of a job because of something that is only illegal in every other city/state.  It just strikes me as a fairly ridiculous reason to lose your job.  

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

I love that every city, state, whatever has a different gun law, and we expect people from all over the country to know when they get wherever it is they go.  If he was in some other place it wouldn't even be a crime.  If he played for the Broncos, would we care?

I don't think it's unreasonable that one of the responsibilities of owning a firearm is having to know where you can carry it. Google that shit. Not that difficult.

• Like 1

Different companies will always have different standards, what may get me fired from my job may not get my friend fired from his. The Eagles I don't think were pressured into cutting him, it was likely just the whole PR vs. Field Skills issue. I am sure many teams wouldn't have cut him, for whatever reasons the Eagles thought it was the best way to go. Probably just not worth the headache while Bradham was (I use them as examples as they were on the same team and had similar type charges). Huff only had 13 catches all year and was only a very small hit on their cap, while Bradham would have been a much bigger dead money cap hit. He won't be missed on the field, with the Eagles going for the Playoffs they probably just felt they didn't need any outside distractions.

11 hours ago, supremebve said:

If he's going to carry a gun, he should know the laws.  His gun wasn't loaded, he only had a small amount of weed, and for most of the country he would have been let go scott free.  I'm just saying it is a completely ridiculous system when you can go to prison if you have a gun in some places, but you can't even get a ticket in others.  I honestly don't think you should be able to catch a charge for having a gun that is registered in a different state.  Sure he acted like an asshole during the interview, but he's out of a job because of something that is only illegal in every other city/state.  It just strikes me as a fairly ridiculous reason to lose your job.  

The gun was loaded with six hollow point bullets

6 hours ago, Omega said:

The gun was loaded with six hollow point bullets

The gun was not loaded.  They clip, which was not in the gun, was loaded with six hollow point bullets.  Practically that means next to nothing, but legally it means a lot.  Having a loaded gun is a much more serious charge than having an unloaded gun in most instances.  

• Like 1

The Chargers bid to have their new stadium publicly funded was rejected.

San Diego still has until Jan 15 to tell the NFL if they want to move to LA or not.

The story I read did note that since the Raiders appear to want to move to Vegas and not LA - that would keep the 2nd LA spot open longer as they try to work out a deal with San Diego (if they wanted to do so)

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18009671/san-francisco-49ers-quarterback-colin-kaepernick-pay-attention-tuesday-election-results

Kaepernick, who did not vote Tuesday, said during a conference call Wednesday with media in Arizona that he "really didn't pay too close of attention" to the election, which was decided close to midnight on the West Coast.

"I've been very disconnected from the systematic oppression as a whole," Kaepernick said. "So, for me, it's another face that's going to be the face of that system of oppression.

"And to me, it didn't really matter who went in there. The system still remains intact that oppresses people of color."

Dear Colin,

While I do not agree personally with your decision to kneel during National Anthem, I acknowledge your right to exercise your Freedom of Speech.

My issue with you continues to remain the fact that you should be doing more to fight for racial equality, instead of just kneeling.  You should be using your millions of dollars to establish civic action groups who will lead voter registration drives, recruit minority candidates to run for political office, and recruit more blacks, Hispanics, and Asians to join law enforcement.

In the grand scheme of things, simply taking a knee during the National Anthem ultimately isn't going to inspire racist New York cops to not racial profile black motorists, isn't going to inspire a racist waitress at an IHOP in Bumfuck, Alabama to be polite and considerate to the group of Pakistani customers that just walked in, and it isn't going to inspire people to not vote for Trump.

This is the problem with Millennials, they think that simply Tweeting about something will bring about radical social change.  You have to take physical action to change the system itself to make things better.  Martin Luther King gave many speeches, but he also staged sit-ins and worked within the legal system to force change.

Simply sitting on your ass and not voting, or taking a knee during what was originally a British drinking song, does nothing.

On 05/11/2016 at 8:07 AM, Ryan said:

Also, the legality of owning hollow points depending on location I assume is still a thing. What armored people was he planning on shooting?

Hollow points are actually intended for unarmored people.  The hollow point bullet "opens up" inside the victim and rips apart the guts and bones.

16 hours ago, Jerome Miller said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18009671/san-francisco-49ers-quarterback-colin-kaepernick-pay-attention-tuesday-election-results

Dear Colin,

While I do not agree personally with your decision to kneel during National Anthem, I acknowledge your right to exercise your Freedom of Speech.

My issue with you continues to remain the fact that you should be doing more to fight for racial equality, instead of just kneeling.  You should be using your millions of dollars to establish civic action groups who will lead voter registration drives, recruit minority candidates to run for political office, and recruit more blacks, Hispanics, and Asians to join law enforcement.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2016/09/20/colin-kaepernick-to-donate-100k-per-month.html?via=desktop&source=copyurl

17 hours ago, Jerome Miller said:

Dear Colin,

In the grand scheme of things, simply taking a knee during the National Anthem ultimately isn't going to inspire racist New York cops to not racial profile black motorists, isn't going to inspire a racist waitress at an IHOP in Bumfuck, Alabama to be polite and considerate to the group of Pakistani customers that just walked in, and it isn't going to inspire people to not vote for Trump.

This is the problem with Millennials, they think that simply Tweeting about something will bring about radical social change.  You have to take physical action to change the system itself to make things better.  Martin Luther King gave many speeches, but he also staged sit-ins and worked within the legal system to force change.

Simply sitting on your ass and not voting, or taking a knee during what was originally a British drinking song, does nothing.

You should probably do some research about all of the many things he's doing outside of kneeling, because he's legitimately doing everything that you just said he's not.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

You should probably do some research about all of the many things he's doing outside of kneeling, because he's legitimately doing everything that you just said he's not.  

And in truth, a Democrat and a Black Democrat at that has been in office as all the police on citizen violence he's protesting occurred so if he felt like the vote didn't matter... I don't agree but I understand.

2 hours ago, Vincey Greene said:

And in truth, a Democrat and a Black Democrat at that has been in office as all the police on citizen violence he's protesting occurred so if he felt like the vote didn't matter... I don't agree but I understand.

Months ago he said publicly that he didn't like either candidate.  Why are people mad at him for not voting for someone he doesn't like.  Not only that he is in a state that was going to be for Hilary whether he voted or not.  He isn't in a battleground state, he isn't someone who liked any of the candidates, and having the right to vote means you have the right not to vote.  There is not a single contradiction in his message for making the decision to not vote.