DVDVR Message Board

NFL OFF FIELD ISSUES

RIPPA

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

My biggest struggle with all of this is that part of me thinks that Watson should be thrown out of the league and another part thinks that the NFL doesn't have a leg to stand on with any of this shit. I don't want the NFL being some sort of moral arbiter,  because they are about a amoral as any institution I can think of. I don't think there is anything that could have happened that would have felt right to me, it all feels wrong and will always feel wrong. 

I'm right there with you. I'm not crazy about punishing guys for accusations or arrests instead of convictions. 

But I'm also certain Watson deserved a long punishment. 

50 minutes ago, Tabe said:

I'm right there with you. I'm not crazy about punishing guys for accusations or arrests instead of convictions. 

But I'm also certain Watson deserved a long punishment. 

I get it,  honestly I do, but at the same time we're talking about football which ain't that important. We just had a president with more sexual assault allegations than Watson and ain't shit going to happen with that either. We're at the point where no matter where you look your going to be looking at someone who is openly despicable, and they're just going to keep going to be brazenly immoral because no one is really interested in doing anything to stop them. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

NFLPA is is said to be preparing a lawsuit.  

Cool!  Put him on the Exempt list until the law suit is resolved. 

Then suspend him when that's over. 

Maybe he can play in 2025.

• Like 5

I know the NFL has adjusted their discipline policy, but has anything changed enough that a lawsuit would have any different outcome than the Brady one that was basically "yeah, the NFL's whole case is bullshit, there's no clear evidence balls were even deflated much less that you had anything to do with it, but your collective bargaining agreement says that it's all up to the commissioner, so fuck off"

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

I know the NFL has adjusted their discipline policy, but has anything changed enough that a lawsuit would have any different outcome than the Brady one that was basically "yeah, the NFL's whole case is bullshit, there's no clear evidence balls were even deflated much less that you had anything to do with it, but your collective bargaining agreement says that it's all up to the commissioner, so fuck off"

There's one difference in that the NFL's case is not bullshit this time around.

NFL Discipline is a complete mess. The ruling accepts pretty much the entire facts of the case as presented by the league and all but laughs out Watson's defence. However, the suspension is pegged to as similar cases as they could find and also notes "the NFL’s post-hoc definitions of the prohibited conduct at issue." The NFL likes to make rules up after a massive outrage instead of trying to get them sorted in advance; and I would have thought that maybe they would have sorted this shit out once their pants were pulled down by the whole Ray Rice thing, but clearly not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DangerMark said:

NFL Discipline is a complete mess. The ruling accepts pretty much the entire facts of the case as presented by the league and all but laughs out Watson's defence. However, the suspension is pegged to as similar cases as they could find and also notes "the NFL’s post-hoc definitions of the prohibited conduct at issue." The NFL likes to make rules up after a massive outrage instead of trying to get them sorted in advance; and I would have thought that maybe they would have sorted this shit out once their pants were pulled down by the whole Ray Rice thing, but clearly not.

Here's the thing,  their case was heard by a party that was collectively agreed upon by both the league and the players,  and they gave their verdict. They don't like the verdict,  so they decide to use a party only agreed upon by one side to try to get a verdict that they like. That's fucking bullshit. This just further illustrates my point that the NFL shouldn't be the arbiter of morality. They just make all this shit up and if they don't like what they made up,  they'll make up something else. At the same time they have an owner in Washington who has some pretty bad allegations and they aren't holding him accountable at all. Six games sounds pretty lenient until you realize that the personal conduct policy is supposed to apply to everyone associated with the league from owners down to the mail guy at NFL films. Daniel Snyder was having naked pictures of cheerleaders taken without their consent and sent around the office.  Jerry Jones just covered up someone sexually harassing his own daughter. I get that Watson is a scumbag,  but why do the rest of these scumbags get to decide how he's punished after the people they put in charge have spoken. I don't get how anyone is ok with any of this. If there are rules enforce the rules. If there aren't rules,  don't just make up rules. They're actually living the third option,  have rules,  don't enforce them equally,  then make up rules when you don't like how the rules you have turn out. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, DangerMark said:

My point, though, is that courts have already ruled that the CBA basically means the NFL can do whatever the fuck they want with discipline.

• Like 1

As someone who both thinks the NFL is way too trigger-happy and inconsistent in the way it levies discipline, and wouldn’t be too upset if Goodell and co. straight up deleted Watson’s career, all I can think about is when Ray Rice got two games for being caught on tape (though he was released in the aftermath and I think never played again) and how Goodell wants to put his big boy pants on and show he’s not a punk.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Super Ape said:

As someone who both thinks the NFL is way too trigger-happy and inconsistent in the way it levies discipline, and wouldn’t be too upset if Goodell and co. straight up deleted Watson’s career, all I can think about is when Ray Rice got two games for being caught on tape (though he was released in the aftermath and I think never played again) and how Goodell wants to put his big boy pants on and show he’s not a punk.

That's the issue though. You can't have a disciplinary policy based on the commissioner trying to show people he's not a punk. There is no perfect system,  so no matter what you do,  someone is going to have an issue with it. They either need to have a policy (which they do)  and hold everyone accountable to it (which they don't),  and stick to it... or just stop pretending like they care about the actions and not the reactions. The court shouldn't be able to keep trying you until they get the results they want. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Marshawn Lynch was arrested for DUI yesterday.   His car:

FZxA1i9VQAAfrTR?format=jpg&name=900x900

And yes, that back wheel is running on the rim, while the front wheel is completely gone.  

That car could still knock over a New Orleans defender in that condition. 

15 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Next time I make this thread, I'll give it an appropriate name.

Mike Tomlin is a hall of fame coach, the top line of his resume should be, "We didn't know Antonio Brown was a crazy person until he stopped playing for Mike Tomlin."

• Like 8

I used to not be able to believe that someone as good as AB played college football here in Mount Pleasant.

Now I can't believe somebody as crazy as AB used to play football right here in Mount Pleasant.

Just now, Tabe said:

Rickey Henderson loves this tweet. 

As someone who just read Rickey Henderson's biography, I think we owe Rickey an apology.  Rickey was the best baseball player in the world for over a decade and for his entire career nobody had anything positive to say about him.  

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I used to not be able to believe that someone as good as AB played college football here in Mount Pleasant.

Now I can't believe somebody as crazy as AB used to play football right here in Mount Pleasant.

J.J. Watt and Antonio Brown were there at the same time.  I have no idea how J.J. Watt ended up there.  AB played quarterback in high school, went to Alcorn State, wasn't academically eligible, went to a prep school, went to FIU, got kicked out for fighting a security guard, and then ended up walking on a Central Michigan as a wide receiver.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

J.J. Watt and Antonio Brown were there at the same time.  I have no idea how J.J. Watt ended up there.  

Butch Jones convinced him (Watt) that if he played Tight End, he would score all these TDs so Watt believe him and went there as a TE.

He had a whopping 8 catches and then Jones and staff told him they would convert him to O-Line.

So Watt told them to go fuck themselves and he walked on at Wisconsin