DVDVR Message Board

NFL OFF FIELD ISSUES

RIPPA

If I'm understanding correctly, if the NFL decides to appeal, the appeal will be decided by Goodell?

Look, I'm on record that if it was my call, Watson would never play another snap in the NFL, but is that seriously the policy the two sides agreed on to take power our of the commissioner's hands? Where the league can just appeal and he still has final say?

Watson gets six games. Compared to "being generally aware" (that balls deflate in cold weather) being four games (I'm never letting that grudge go), and a whole season for putting a $1500 bet down on the NFL's official gambling partner's site.

The Internet (and me) are not happy.

And Hooboy, the Browns statement is going to make it WORSE.

"We respect Judge Robinson's decision, and at the same time, empathize and understand that there have been many individuals triggered throughout this process."

edit: that statement deserves the Booker T "Tell me you didn't just say that." face and gif, but eh.

edit 2:

https://tenor.com/bDGeS.gif

Damnit, why ain't image imbeds workin no more?

Edited by SirFozzie
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, hammerva said:

It really seems that the 6 games was decided because while it may have been offensive it wasn't "violent".   Even though the fact that it may not have been completely consensual makes it mildly violent to begin with

The arbitrator ruled the NFL carried their burden of proving he committed sexual assault. But she gave consideration to Watson because he's a "first-time offender". So, apparently, the key is to commit a ton of violations before getting caught so that they all count together as your first offense. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

The arbitrator ruled the NFL carried their burden of proving he committed sexual assault. But she gave consideration to Watson because he's a "first-time offender". So, apparently, the key is to commit a ton of violations before getting caught so that they all count together as your first offense. 

Every serial killer that died in prison: "What the fuck"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Needless to say I don't agree with the punishment given and I am the last person in the world that would normally defend the NFL... 

BUT

I don't think we can really compare this to past suspensions, for example saying "Why did Zeke get this" or "Why did Big Ben get that" because its a totally different process. I have no doubt that if it was up to Goodell he would have been suspended Watson for the season, what I wonder is if Sue Robinson was around then is if Ben would have gotten one game and Zeke two or something. All suspensions going forward, as long as she is the one deciding them, may be less than what we have seen in the past and what the NFL would have done if it was up to them.

Unfortunately, the NFL's past suspensions is what got us to the point of needing a "neutral" third party, as many many people complained about the suspensions that Ben, Brady, and Zeke got. Its just that no one expected the new decider of punishments to go so easy on Watson so fans went from "thank goodness its not up to Goodell" to "I miss Goodell's punishments" just due to how much worse what Watson did compares to the other examples given.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Needless to say I don't agree with the punishment given and I am the last person in the world that would normally defend the NFL... 

BUT

I don't think we can really compare this to past suspensions, for example saying "Why did Zeke get this" or "Why did Big Ben get that" because its a totally different process. I have no doubt that if it was up to Goodell he would have been suspended Watson for the season, what I wonder is if Sue Robinson was around then is if Ben would have gotten one game and Zeke two or something. All suspensions going forward, as long as she is the one deciding them, may be less than what we have seen in the past and what the NFL would have done if it was up to them.

Unfortunately, the NFL's past suspensions is what got us to the point of needing a "neutral" third party, as many many people complained about the suspensions that Ben, Brady, and Zeke got. Its just that no one expected the new decider of punishments to go so easy on Watson so fans went from "thank goodness its not up to Goodell" to "I miss Goodell's punishments" just due to how much worse what Watson did compares to the other examples given.

All this, but I also have a sneaking suspicion that the NFL didn't present the strongest case possible in order to stir up public opinion against the NFLPA and the new process.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

All this, but I also have a sneaking suspicion that the NFL didn't present the strongest case possible in order to stir up public opinion against the NFLPA and the new process.

Not sure about that. Certainly possible. But the arbitrator did say that the NFL had proven their case. 

My biggest struggle with all of this is that part of me thinks that Watson should be thrown out of the league and another part thinks that the NFL doesn't have a leg to stand on with any of this shit. I don't want the NFL being some sort of moral arbiter,  because they are about a amoral as any institution I can think of. I don't think there is anything that could have happened that would have felt right to me, it all feels wrong and will always feel wrong. 

Edited by supremebve
My phone just types anything it wants
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Not sure about that. Certainly possible. But the arbitrator did say that the NFL had proven their case. 

They only presented testimony from 4 of the accusers. Defector has a good article on this.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I changed my mind since the Fins are getting slammed for far more than asking Flores to lose games

NFL apparently stated that the Dolphins were not found to have intentionally lost games in 2019 which the only evidence that could be found for that would be the month of September with some ugly blowouts.

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

NFL apparently stated that the Dolphins were not found to have intentionally lost games in 2019 which the only evidence that could be found for that would be the month of September with some ugly blowouts.

The theory that most people are working on is that Ross did ask Flores to tank but the NFL doesn't want that officially out there so they are nailing Miami for all the tampering charges

• Like 3

Also - Ross was technically suspended longer than Watson and Miami received a harsher punishment than what Washington got for all of Daniel Snyder's bullshit

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Also - Ross was technically suspended longer than Watson and Miami received a harsher punishment than what Washington got for all of Daniel Snyder's bullshit

but the InTeGriTy!~!~ of the game must be protected at all costs. Only the NFL thinks the NFL has any integrity left.

Honestly, I just want the Watson saga to end.  The League should just admit they lost this round, nix the appeal and let him serve his suspension and move on.  If they suspended him for two seasons, you’d still have people complaining it wasn’t enough.  If the case is triggering people, that’s their problem, not the Browns’ or the League.

Personally, I don’t believe that the NFL intentionally sabotaged their own case.  They were always on shaky footing, given the lack of criminal charges, the reluctance of most women to talk to the NFL and the inconsistent penalties handed out in the past.

On 8/1/2022 at 12:48 PM, hammerva said:

The pot is fucking huge on this one talking about this kettle

Really? I would assume that was a very very small pot, so small that Jimmy Garoppolo could knock up his girlfriend...

Burn it all down.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Haha 1