DVDVR Message Board

NFL OFF FIELD ISSUES

RIPPA

1 minute ago, Lawful Metal said:

I figure Deshaun gets a 6 game suspension.  How he's still like can't wait to pick out what team I'm going to get traded to instead of being like, I'm ready to redeem myself, beg for forgiveness etc. really sucks.  I mean, throw the city a bone even if we're gonna trade you anyway. 

Where does everyone think he ends up?  The cynic in me says he's still on the Texans roster when the season starts. 

Isn't he 40 million against the cap this year?

6 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

I figure Deshaun gets a 6 game suspension.  How he's still like can't wait to pick out what team I'm going to get traded to instead of being like, I'm ready to redeem myself, beg for forgiveness etc. really sucks.  I mean, throw the city a bone even if we're gonna trade you anyway. 

Where does everyone think he ends up?  The cynic in me says he's still on the Texans roster when the season starts. 

Honestly, I don't expect him to miss another game.  He's literally already missed a year and he hasn't been charged with anything, I don't see what else they could honestly punish him for more than he's already been punished. Based on some of the questions asked in some of the depositions that became public there are a lot of questions about how all of this went down.  Of course they could still punish him, because there are literally no rules guiding how the NFL punishes people, but I don't know how they would justify it based on what we know.

His cap number is going to be a problem. Colts, Jets, Bears, Steelers, Panthers are my top five. The only teams with either the cap space available or minimal restructuring necessary to afford him. Also taking teams that could afford him out that are set at QB.

So his likely landing spot taking the cap hit into account and the fit for the team would probably be... The Panthers. They just seem like the team that needs a radical reboot. They have Darnold they could trade back in return as well as a bunch of picks. They're already teasing a McCaffre trade. That would free up the necessary cap space and get them some pick capitol back. Not sure it would be a greeeeattttt fit. But from Houston's perspective probably the best bang for their buck.

42 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Of course they could still punish him, because there are literally no rules guiding how the NFL punishes people, but I don't know how they would justify it based on what we know.

The first part of this statement answers the second

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The first part of this statement answers the second

Yeah, I know.  Based on some of the reports of the preliminary depositions that came out this really feels like he was trying to make a fantasy come true and trusted his assistant to vet these women on the front end.  The problem is that you can't really do that.  I don't care how good your assistant is, having him or her ask a complete stranger if she'd be down to play with a stranger's butthole is not something you should trust them with.  Even if you could trust them to ask these questions, you can't trust the women who agreed over the phone to not get cold feet and back out when the time comes.  At the absolute best, this is a terrible look for Watson, even if what he did was not enough to charge him.  I just feel like suspending him in addition to him missing all of last season is going to lead to some questions that the NFL really doesn't want to answer.  

• Like 1

Here is the difference

The choice to miss the season was Houston's - Watson got paid the entire year so it wasn't a "punishment"

Remember the NFL still suspended Ezekiel Elliott for 6 games despite him not being charged either

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Here is the difference

The choice to miss the season was Houston's - Watson got paid the entire year so it wasn't a "punishment"

Remember the NFL still suspended Ezekiel Elliott for 6 games despite him not being charged either

4 hours ago, DEAN said:

Isn't he 40 million against the cap this year?

The choice was Watson's.

2 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Apparently the Carolina deal is a go ... except Watson won't waive NTC unless Matt Ruhle gets fired and he gets to pick the next head coach.  Allegedly.

That's... excessive... right? If true, that's some drama queen shit. $40 million isn't enough. I also want to be the GM, get to design the logo, and pick the flavor of soft drinks we sell to the fans. Idk who is in his ear telling him these demands are reasonable. He should be thankful he's escaping (mostly) consequence free from this whole ordeal. In his shoes I'd be chomping at the bit to just get on the field somewhere and get all of this stuff behind me.

• Like 1

Wait, you think that someone who negotiated a no trade clause should waive it based on the opinions of people on the internet?  Fuck that.  If you have the leverage, use it.  None of these people have his best interest at heart, so if he has the opportunity to have a say in how he spends the next few years of his career, he should exercise that ability to it's fullest extent.  That's not just for him, but for everybody on fucking earth.  Use everything you have to get the best situation for yourself, 100% of the time.  You are the only one looking out for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

Wait, you think that someone who negotiated a no trade clause should waive it based on the opinions of people on the internet?  Fuck that.  If you have the leverage, use it.  None of these people have his best interest at heart, so if he has the opportunity to have a say in how he spends the next few years of his career, he should exercise that ability to it's fullest extent.  That's not just for him, but for everybody on fucking earth.  Use everything you have to get the best situation for yourself, 100% of the time.  You are the only one looking out for you.

Yeah. This is all Bill O’Brien and Jack Easterby’s fault. But it’s also a duck move to get a no trade clause and then demand a trade 6 months later.

Edited by Lawful Metal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

I hear ya man, but there's also taking that shit too far. *If* what was posted is true (he will only go to The Panthers if they fire their head coach), that's taking it too far.

He has the trade clause but at a certain point if he doesn't like the situation he should just say no to The Panthers. Even if only for the optics. It makes him look bad to start demanding an organization to fire someone they are happy with just to placate his wants and needs. Does Matt Ruhle deserve to lose his job based on the wants and needs Watson and not the merit of his work? If The Panthers are happy with his work thus far, Watson demanding that paints him in a bad light. Which should impact other teams being interested. Should. But won't.

I'm starting to get all kinds of Antonio Brown vibes from what's being reported on Watson.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I hear ya man, but there's also taking that shit too far. *If* what was posted is true (he will only go to The Panthers if they fire their head coach), that's taking it too far.

He has the trade clause but at a certain point if he doesn't like the situation he should just say no to The Panthers. Even if only for the optics. It makes him look bad to start demanding an organization to fire someone they are happy with just to placate his wants and needs. Does Matt Ruhle deserve to lose his job based on the wants and needs Watson and not the merit of his work? If The Panthers are happy with his work thus far, Watson demanding that paints him in a bad light. Which should impact other teams being interested. Should. But won't.

I'm starting to get all kinds of Antonio Brown vibes from what's being reported on Watson.

I'm sorry, but if my future was as questionable as Watson's is right now, I wouldn't want to put my future in the hands of Matt Ruhle.  I don't care how bad of a look it is, he has no obligation to go to a team that he doesn't want to play for.  The Texans gave him that ability and it would be incredibly stupid not to use the no-trade clause that he negotiated.

I just disagree. This isn't me siding with "the machine" or anything. It's me seeing one player abusing his power. Sure he has a no trade clause. He should 100% use it to his advantage and only go where he thinks it would be a good fit. But there's a line that can be crossed where you go from this under appreciated player that wants to prove you are a great player in a great system, to an over reaching prima donna just trying to control every little thing because you can.

Even the best QB of this generation (Brady) didn't demand to pick the coach of the team his signed with. Sure he wouldn't have gone somewhere with a coach he thought was bad, but he didn't demand anyone get fired to get his guy in there or anything. Watson is coming off a scandal. And a whole year of sitting at home. He's not this all time legend. He won one playoff game. So I just don't think he should be demanding to move all these parts around. Find a good situation. Find a good fit. Have a say in future hires. But don't just say you can't have me unless you fire X, Y, Z. That's bush league.

• Like 2

Gotta side with Watson on this one. The balance of power is so in favor of management (ex. Non guaranteed contracts), when situations arise where the player has the upper hand, they need to use it to the fullest. 

@Lawful Metalif the Eagles offered their 3 first rounders  this year plus Jalen Hurts for Watson, would you take it?

On 3/12/2022 at 4:46 PM, Lawful Metal said:

Apparently the Carolina deal is a go ... except Watson won't waive NTC unless Matt Ruhle gets fired and he gets to pick the next head coach.  Allegedly.

I swear to Christ Almighty...  if Brian Flores hired, it's going to be the funniest god damned thing ever. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Brett Favre is in hot water again.  He invested in a drug company, contacted the governor to help out the company, then the company gave the governor a job and stock as soon as he left office.  And more.

https://abovethelaw.com/2022/04/brett-favre-and-former-ms-gov-phil-bryant-never-heard-of-the-stringer-bell-rule-and-it-shows/

26 minutes ago, Travis Sheldon said:

Who would have guessed that  Cam Newton is a meathead?

Perhaps the reporter he laughed at when she asked him about route running? ?