DVDVR Message Board

NFL OFF FIELD ISSUES

RIPPA

5 hours ago, supremebve said:

At this point,  I'd say hiring Urban Meyer is a better choice than,  whoever will keep the racist fight song. They decided they'd rather have a racist fight song than a quality football team,  which is one hell of a hill to die on. 

Since Urban made hiring Chris Doyle his first task at Jacksonville, a noted racist, I don't think he would have been pushing for a fight song change either.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, supremebve said:

At this point,  I'd say hiring Urban Meyer is a better choice than,  whoever will keep the racist fight song. They decided they'd rather have a racist fight song than a quality football team,  which is one hell of a hill to die on. 

I mean UT is 4-1 right now, and ironically if the boosters had their way we would have both the problematic fight song and Urban Meyer, so giphy.gif

Texas has a many natural advantages as any other college football team and they haven't been a contender since Vince Young left. They could create an environment where recruits could go and feel welcome, but they'd rather uphold their "history," and lose.  I'm an Ohio State fan and the one thing I learned about Urban Meyer is that,  if it gets in the way of recruiting, he's not going to do it... even if he has to look the other way on various felonies, misdemeanors, or other morally questionable transgressions.  Either way,  college football is vaguely evil at best and completely and totally morally reprehensible at worst. 

• Like 4

I am gonna put this here

Dee Smith's time as Executive Director of the NFLPA might be over

The executive committee took a vote to see if he should stay. Smith needed the vote to be unanimous. It was 7-7 (Unanimous vote would have meant he would serve another 3 years)

Now all the player reps will vote (that is scheduled for Friday evening). Smith needs 22 of the 32 votes to stay. If he doesn't get 22, the job becomes open and candidates would be presented in March. If Smith gets at least 16 votes, he can at least run again for the position (though he most likely wouldn't).

Basically it is the same top tier folks (Aaron Rodgers, Richard Sherman, etc...) who were pissed at Smith prior to the last CBA being passed who are leading the charge.

This could probably go into the WFT thread too:

Report: Jon Gruden used racist comment in referring to NFLPA head DeMaurice Smith in 2011 email

Las Vegas Raiders coach Jon Gruden used a racist comment in referring to NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith in an email 10 years ago, the Wall Street Journal reported Friday.

The email, sent to the president of the Washington Football Team in July 2011 as the NFL and its players were in the midst of trying to resolve a lockout, said Smith had "lips the size of michellin tires," the Journal reported, saying it has reviewed the email.

Gruden, who was employed at the time as the lead analyst for "Monday Night Football," told ESPN he did not recall writing the email but apologized for the fallout.

He said he has routinely used the term "rubber lips" to "refer to a guy I catch as lying ... he can't spit it out."

"I'm ashamed I insulted De Smith," Gruden told ESPN, adding, "I never had a racial thought when I used it. ... I'm embarrassed by what's out there. I certainly never meant for it to sound that bad."

That whole thing just makes no sense to me - why was Gruden, an ESPN analyst at the time, sending an email to the WFT President about the NFLPA President?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tabe said:

That whole thing just makes no sense to me - why was Gruden, an ESPN analyst at the time, sending an email to the WFT President about the NFLPA President?

Well, remember that Bruce Allen was the Raiders' GM during Gruden's first stint as head coach, so they obviously get along well.  As for why would they talk about Dee Smith?  Only thing I can think of is that it's related to when WFT got fined for restructuring contracts to take advantage of that uncapped year.

Edited by dogwelder
  • Like 1

Definitely puts the NFL in a pickle. Obviously an inappropriate and racist thing to say, but how far will they go when it happened ten years ago in a private email, when Gruden wasn't a NFL employee? Can't punish the Raiders since he wasn't on the team then. You can't just ignore something like that like they probably would have ten years ago, but I am not sure if there is any precedence in the NFL for fining someone for something they did/said when they weren't in the league.

On 9/22/2021 at 1:42 PM, supremebve said:

That's one of the easier 1st year classes in a while. The only one I think is a certified 1st ballot type of player is Wilfork, and a run stopping DT isn't a glory position, so that's not guaranteed. 

Absolutely would not be surprised if Hester got in on the first ballot, just because he. . .even though I hated the sumbitch because he played for a division rival. . .was the best in the history of the league at what he did, and by a ridiculous margin over everyone else.

Edited by Gonzo

Gonzo only said that to see if Tabe was paying attention, I guess Hester is going to be the hotly debated nominee this year. I can see the argument either way. I will say his TD return record will never be touched, not just because he scored a lot, but the way that offense has changed (less punts) and kickoffs has changed (less chance of returns) makes it almost impossible.

• Like 2

On 10/9/2021 at 11:27 AM, Kuetsar said:

That hasn't helped Steve Tasker at all. . .

Steve Tasker was great, but I think he's a bit overrated.  In 169 games he accumulated 111 special teams tackles.  Josh Cribbs played 110 games and accumulated 131 tackles...on top of being one of the best return men of all time.  Brendon Ayanbadejo and Larry Izzo were both incredibly good speical teams players who you could argue were as good as Steve Tasker.  Tasker blocked more kicks than any of these guys, but he wasn't an all-time great when compared to the great kick/punt blockers of all time.  He had 6,which is tied for 23rd all time.  Alan Page had 27 and Ted Hendricks had 24.  Tasker was great when the Bills were great, and I think that is why he's as highly regarded as he is.

On 10/8/2021 at 7:57 PM, dogwelder said:

Well, remember that Bruce Allen was the Raiders' GM during Gruden's first stint as head coach, so they obviously get along well.  As for why would they talk about Dee Smith?  Only thing I can think of is that it's related to when WFT got fined for restructuring contracts to take advantage of that uncapped year.

Not important to this... But Christ almighty that was absurd when the NFL cracked down on teams for the uncapped year, and still feels like it should've given the players a slam dunk collusion case. 30 teams acted like there was a cap when there wasn't and the other two got punished for it. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Infinit said:

Based on your expertise, on a scale of 1-10, how fucked is he?

Without knowing the facts, it's hard to say.  Did he consent to blood?  Did they draft a warrant?  Did the cops fuck up the warrant (they usually do)?  Was it really his fault (probably, but maybe she stopped suddenly and he had no way to stop).  How'd he look on field sobriety tests?  How'd he look considering he was in a major accident and possibly concussed?  What's his concussion history (you know he's had a few just playing football -- they can affect performance on the  SFSTs). 

All those factor into guilt / innocence, but it's also not unheard of judges giving probation on these.  I'd assume he's insured, and he'd probably pay out a good settlement, probably has good mitigating factors.  Of course, he's also black, so that might also factor in. 

I'd say not fucked, but there's risk if he hires a shit lawyer.

• Thanks 2