DVDVR Message Board

Analysing the DVDVR sleaze thread, a decade later...

Liam O'Rourke

So, for this week's podcast we're taking a look at the infamous "Sleaze Thread", a list of questionable tales from inside the world of wrestling put together on this very message board over a decade ago that attracted a lot of attention, and we'll be speculating on some of the "urban legends" mentioned with an extra ten years of knowledge, debating their validity.

Our question for you is - which of these elaborate (and sometimes absurd) tales was/is your favourite and why? Do you think said rumour is true? Why do you think it is or isn't? And how do you feel looking back on this list now yourselves, if you contributed to it at the time?

As always the best contributions will be read on the show and you'll be credited accordingly. So which of these urban legends was the one that amused or shocked you enough to make it your favourite, and why?

EDIT - Our show discussing Wrestling Urban Legends and the Sleaze Thread, featuring many of your contributions, is now online and available to listen to at the following link: http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/web/nds8ee/SCG_Radio_98_-_Wrestling_Urban_Legends_and_The_Sleaze_Thread.mp3

Ah yes, that brings back memories. Not great memories. Just memories.

Johnny Valentine and bedposts seems like it could be legit. The lighter fluid in the inhaler could be too.He was a legendary (and some say cruel) ribber.

Hogan vs. Zeus being considered for WM 6 seems possible too. It seems like something a coked up late 80's/early 90's Vince would think makes great sense.

Mae Young and Moolah being a couple seems to have been pretty much confirmed.

Tammy Sytch having phone sexy with indy guys? Hell, Tammy will have phone sex with YOU!

I doubt NOTHING said about the Von Erich boys. Lots of coke, lots of looking the other way from a powerful daddy, and, at least in Kerry's case, not a lot of IQ make a hell of a toxic mess.

I'll skim through more of it later. I'm "working." 

Gangrel & Luna are swingers and love to swap out with other couples.

This one is hilarious to me.  Can you imagine these two weirdos approaching you and your significant other and proposing a swap?  If your significant other says yes, how many questions would you have on the car ride home?  

• Like 1

It is hard to believe that thread of "urban legends" has become and urban legend.  It is a bittersweet thing that the old Sleaze Thread refuses to die.

The only thing that makes me wistful about that time in the board's history is the old regulars.. 

I miss Rob Naylor attempting to convince me that Dustin Rhodes was a better hot tag than Robert Gibson and I miss calling Blackjack Parsons an asshole.

• Like 1

I said it over there, but the "Do you remember when..." thread really feels like this generation's version of the sleaze thread. There's a lack of that 360 knowledge (heck, someone today saw Tully vs Magnum for the first time, which isn't a knock on him. Good for for him for doing it!) and more of a sense of buzzfeed to all of it. 

• Like 1

There are so many things in this thread that have been confirmed as true that it adds credibility to some of the most outrageous things on the list.  It also has made me aware of the people that I'll believe any story about.  You tell me a New Jack story, I believe it.  If you tell me a story about anyone with the last name Von Erich, I believe it.  Heyman being cheap?  I believe it.  Dusty being drunk and/or irresponsible?  

• Like 1

I think a lot of the Raven sexual stories have all been pretty much confirmed true as well. 

I completely buy the story of Brody's legs being broken to fit in a cheap Puerto Rican casket. It's not unheard of, and is pretty much a last resort for a funeral director. 

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

I said it over there, but the "Do you remember when..." thread really feels like this generation's version of the sleaze thread. There's a lack of that 360 knowledge (heck, someone today saw Tully vs Magnum for the first time, which isn't a knock on him. Good for for him for doing it!) and more of a sense of buzzfeed to all of it. 

I don't know, most of that thread is things that happened on tv. The modern sleaze thread would be things like Seth Rollins having a neo-nazi girlfriend, Daniel Bryan working through blackout-inducing head trauma, Punk/Cena/Batista sexcapades, and god knows how many Benoit stories.

Come to think of it, wasn't Ring of Hell pretty much just Sleaze Thread: The Book?

• Like 1

332. Vince McMahon vs. Kurt Angle
Not really a fight, but yet another Angle skirmish. On an airplane, Vince jokingly reminded Angle that he was the only person to take him down. Angle decided to have a little fun, and promptly took Vince down in the aisle. For the rest of the flight, Vince would try to take Angle down at any opportunity he had. During one altercation, the noise woke up a sleeping Undertaker, who either not knowing who was wrestling with Vince, or not realizing that they were just messing around, grabbed Angle from behind, and choked him out. WINNER: Angle, who now has a good reason to kick Undertaker's ass if he ever decides to. (thanks to Justin Newbould and Kurt Angle's book)

Miss ya, Newb. 

• Like 9

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

It is hard to believe that thread of "urban legends" has become and urban legend.  It is a bittersweet thing that the old Sleaze Thread refuses to die.

The only thing that makes me wistful about that time in the board's history is the old regulars.. 

I miss Rob Naylor attempting to convince me that Dustin Rhodes was a better hot tag than Robert Gibson and I miss calling Blackjack Parsons an asshole.

Random old school DVDVR question: Whatever happened to the dude who had the Morrissey avatar? Can't remember his SN, but he was a fairly prominent board member at the time. I wanna say he was also the guy who had a sig that was a parody of the DeBeers ads with the tag line "Because your p̶r̶o̶s̶t̶i̶t̶u̶t̶e̶ wife demands sparklies"...

Hearing Raven going down the list commenting on it when Raven's interview first came out was absolutely surreal, especially my contributions. I guess someone had to have asked Meltzer about it at some point. Imagine the reaction in this day of Twitter ...

4 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

I don't know, most of that thread is things that happened on tv. The modern sleaze thread would be things like Seth Rollins having a neo-nazi girlfriend, Daniel Bryan working through blackout-inducing head trauma, Punk/Cena/Batista sexcapades, and god knows how many Benoit stories.

Come to think of it, wasn't Ring of Hell pretty much just Sleaze Thread: The Book?

You're making me explain myself. The first was a collection of smark conventional wisdom and whispers, of things heard third-hand by people with one toe in the business, of dots connected and thoughts twisted. That newer thread was one generation down the chain with another degree of separation. It's also a statement on how one generation leaned towards gossip and forbidden truth and the other for barely remembered storyline ephemera.

One generation's "So Jimmy Valiant and a glass table" is the next's "Hey, does anyone remember Just Joe?"

7 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

Random old school DVDVR question: Whatever happened to the dude who had the Morrissey avatar? Can't remember his SN, but he was a fairly prominent board member at the time. I wanna say he was also the guy who had a sig that was a parody of the DeBeers ads with the tag line "Because your p̶r̶o̶s̶t̶i̶t̶u̶t̶e̶ wife demands sparklies"...

His tag line was "When it comes to materialistic hoes, nothing says 'love' like pressurized carbon ripped from the earth by wage slaves in Angola!"

I miss that guy.

• Like 1