DVDVR Message Board

Analysing the DVDVR sleaze thread, a decade later...

Liam O'Rourke

36 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

Random old school DVDVR question: Whatever happened to the dude who had the Morrissey avatar? Can't remember his SN, but he was a fairly prominent board member at the time. I wanna say he was also the guy who had a sig that was a parody of the DeBeers ads with the tag line "Because your p̶r̶o̶s̶t̶i̶t̶u̶t̶e̶ wife demands sparklies"...

Winnipagan. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, J.T. said:

His tag line was "When it comes to materialistic hoes, nothing says 'love' like pressurized carbon ripped from the earth by wage slaves in Angola!"

I miss that guy.

He's on my Facebook. Seek him out and say hi.

13 hours ago, Ramsey said:

Ah yes, that brings back memories. Not great memories. Just memories.

Johnny Valentine and bedposts seems like it could be legit. The lighter fluid in the inhaler could be too.He was a legendary (and some say cruel) ribber.

Hogan vs. Zeus being considered for WM 6 seems possible too. It seems like something a coked up late 80's/early 90's Vince would think makes great sense.

Mae Young and Moolah being a couple seems to have been pretty much confirmed.

Tammy Sytch having phone sexy with indy guys? Hell, Tammy will have phone sex with YOU!

I doubt NOTHING said about the Von Erich boys. Lots of coke, lots of looking the other way from a powerful daddy, and, at least in Kerry's case, not a lot of IQ make a hell of a toxic mess.

I'll skim through more of it later. I'm "working." 

Anything involving Johnny Valentine is likely legit. The guy was a serious sociopath. All-time great wrestler to be sure, but sick, sick, sick.

449. Hugh Morris once broke Matthew Lesko's jaw in a barfight over the question marks on their outfits.

I think this might be my favorite story from the entire list because of how absurd it is. A lot of these seem plausible because wrestling is a fucked up business with a lot of fucked up people, but the idea of two grown men fighting in a bar over outfits with question marks is so ludicrous it's great.

Image result for matthew lesko

For some reason this thread gives me a feeling of impending doom. I can't help but feel that somewhere the Jersey Kid, Waru, Blackjack Parsons, FSW, and Hollywood Cibernetico are watching and plotting...something...

Rippa, please be vigilant!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, OSJ said:

For some reason this thread gives me a feeling of impending doom. I can't help but feel that somewhere the Jersey Kid, Waru, Blackjack Parsons, FSW, and Hollywood Cibernetico are watching and plotting...something...

Let's not forget Eviliraqi once described on a rival wrestling board as 'perhaps the single greatest retard of our generation."

I still refer to the act of surgically trimming flavor text and then pasting it into a quote box as "ripclawing."

14 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

Ughhhhhhhhh I was only like 26 what the fuck man

We were all young and stupid and from the looks of the Sleeze thread, I spent way too much time talking to North Carolina indie workers at 3 in the morning at the Waffle House closest to the National Guard armory or High School where the card went down..

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Just watched a thing on Viceland about Lesko today. If DeMott really did punch that guy (which I highly doubt, this reeks of a fake entry), he deserves to burn in the deepest pits of hell.

Well, not like he hasn't done worse that we already know of I guess

I saw this this morning as well before heading to work.  The guy's wacky, but Matt seemed like a pretty quality guy.  Fuck Bill for doing that to him.

18 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Let's not forget Eviliraqi once described on a rival wrestling board as 'perhaps the single greatest retard of our generation."

I still refer to the act of surgically trimming flavor text and then pasting it into a quote box as "ripclawing."

Jersey Kidd ("laughs for other reasons"), ripclawe.  Man, this is taking me back. I'm trying to resist the temptation to change my avatar to an Alizee gif.

• Like 2

My favorite story will always be the one about Sid's pet squirrel biting him in the dick, Sid falling over in pain, and Sid crushing the squirrel on accident. All because someone bet him he couldn't keep the squirrel in his pants for a full minute. 

7 minutes ago, JRGoldman said:

My favorite story will always be the one about Sid's pet squirrel biting him in the dick, Sid falling over in pain, and Sid crushing the squirrel on accident. All because someone bet him he couldn't keep the squirrel in his pants for a full minute. 

For accepting that bet, I'd say Sid had half the brain of the squirrel.

• Like 3

I always meant to post this in the original sleaze thread, but in a world filled with glass tables, dildo-blenders, $500 sneezes and the like, it just sort of seemed pretty minor... However, it does have the advantage of being 100% true. As related to me by the late, great 1950s luchador, hooker, and flagpole sitter, the one and only Vic Short.. Seems that "Pitty City" was a thing long before the Nasty Boyz were even a twinkle in their respective fore-bearers eyes. Back in the day if one was thought to be "getting too big for their britches", one could be assured of getting the Mexico City variant of "Pitty City". This would involve either Limburger or an equally vile Mexican goat-cheese with a headlock applied until the hapless victim was literally dislocating their nose in a futile attempt to escape the torment. 

I've absolutely no reason to doubt the story, as everything Vic ever told me about 1950s lucha and Southwest territories checked out 100%. He did express regret that he never tried the stunt with durian, which he thought would be pretty funny... For those unfamiliar with durian and the rather unique olfactory properties of same, "funny" isn't necessarily the adjective that would first come to mind...

Reminds me, I've got a bunch of programs and handbills that he gave me, circa 1952-1958 that I need to scan and upload here for those interested in the historical stuff... Vic got to work with some pretty big names, although he was usually featured in the #2 or #3 spot.. Of the familiar names he did programs with:

Black Shadow: Very nice man, was booked far beyond his capabilities and knew it. If he hadn't been programmed with El Santo no one would remember him at all.

Gori Guerrero: If anything, better than he's remembered for being. One of those guys who just by being in the building made everyone else seem better.

Sugi Sato: Best guy he ever worked with. If he'd been from anywhere other than Japan he'd have been a HUGE star. 

• Like 1

On 9/22/2016 at 9:32 AM, J.T. said:

We were all young and stupid and from the looks of the Sleeze thread, I spent way too much time talking to North Carolina indie workers at 3 in the morning at the Waffle House closest to the National Guard armory or High School where the card went down..

It'd seem like everyone matured since the Sleaze thread...but then, considering most of the September Wrestling thread was dedicated to Del Rio/Paige (even if it's modern-day stuff..come on, we ALL KNOW half of that stuff would have been in the Sleaze Thread if it started now), it becomes a question mark.

• Like 1

The rise of social media also has an effect. A lot of stuff that would qualify as sleaze thread material today would be substantiated by tweets, hacked cell phone pics, leaked video, etc. The ADR/Paige stuff referenced above was all based on info that was publicly available. There's so much at least partially, if not fully, verifiable sleaze these days (Rollins' neo-nazi gf, Hogan's sex tape/racist tirade, Melina/Mundo fallout, etc) that there isn't really a void that needs to filled by word-of-mouth sleaze like there was in 2005.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Go2Sleep said:

The rise of social media also has an effect. A lot of stuff that would qualify as sleaze thread material today would be substantiated by tweets, hacked cell phone pics, leaked video, etc. The ADR/Paige stuff referenced above was all based on info that was publicly available. There's so much at least partially, if not fully, verifiable sleaze these days (Rollins' neo-nazi gf, Hogan's sex tape/racist tirade, Melina/Mundo fallout, etc) that there isn't really a void that needs to filled by word-of-mouth sleaze like there was in 2005.

This would be a reason why the forum should consider having an all-purpose "Confirmed Sleaze" thread- less like the old-time sleaze thread and more like the "Stupid crap Pro Wrestlers Say or Do" like the sports forums have (which again, is just a modernized version of a sleaze thread for those sports.) 

• Like 2

I actually like that idea. It would keep the monthly omnibus threads clean and avoid the need for multiple spin-off "dumpster fire" threads for scandals too big to ignore. Plus there's always a market for tabloid gossip, and let's face it, tabloid gossip and pro wrestling are meant for each other.

• Like 1