DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 95: Cyborg vs. Länsberg (9/24/2016) - Brasília, Brazil (Ginásio Nilson Nelson)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_Fight_Night_Brasilia_Cyborg_vs._Lans

UFC Fight Night 95: Cyborg vs. Länsberg
September 24, 2016
Brasília, Brazil (Ginásio Nilson Nelson)

Cristiane Justino (141) vs. Lina Länsberg (140) - Justino, TKO (punches), R2 (2:29)
Renan Barão (146) vs. Phillipe Nover (146) - Barão, DEC (unanimous)
Roy Nelson (258) vs. Antônio Silva (265) - Nelson, KO (punches), R2 (4:10)
Francisco Trinaldo (155) vs. Paul Felder (155) - Trinaldo, TKO (doctor stoppage), R3 (2:25)
Thiago Santos (186) vs. Eric Spicely (185) - Spicely, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (2:58)
Godofredo Castro (146) vs. Mike De La Torre (146) - Castro, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (3:03)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:
Gilbert Burns (156) vs. Michel Prazeres (158)* - Prazeres, DEC (unanimous)
Rani Yahya (136) vs. Michinori Tanaka (135) - Yahya, DEC (unanimous)
Jussier Formiga (126) vs. Dustin Ortiz (124) - Formiga, DEC (unanimous)
Erick Silva (171) vs. Luan Chagas (171) - Silva, SUB (rear naked choke), R3 (3:57)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Alan Patrick (156) vs. Stevie Ray (156) - Patrick, DEC (unanimous)
Vicente Luque (171) vs. Héctor Urbina (170) - Luque, KO (punch), R1 (1:00)
Glaico França (156) vs. Gregor Gillespie (156) - Gillespie, DEC (unanimous)

*Forfeits 20% of the purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000?
Performance of the Night: Vicente Luque
Performance of the Night: Eric Spicely
Fight of the Night: Erick Silva vs. Luan Chagas

Attendance: 8,410
Rating: 1.109 million

Cancelled Fights:
Erick Silva vs. Brandon Thatch - Injury to Thatch (Hand)
Shinsho Anzai vs. Luan Chagas - Injury to Anzai (Back)
Joaquim Silva vs. Gregor Gillespie - Injury to Silva
Renato Carneiro vs. Mike De La Torre - Injury to Carneiro

42 minutes ago, jstout said:

I thought fighters had to be a certain amount away from making weight a few days before a fight. 24 pounds, even with water weight loss, seems crazy for someone in the 150-160 range.

Well it's a rule but it's only really enforced if a fighter shows clear signs of dehydration. So far, I don't think anyone has been pulled specifically because of that rule. We've had a couple fighters get pulled because of illness prior to a fight, but I haven't seen anything tied to that. Even if the fight was at 145, I doubt Cyborg could get to 156.6 to actually be within the limit of the 8%. At 165 and having to make 140, she's flirting with a 20% purse hit or Barao/Nover being our new main event.

22 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Why are they trying to get her to die on a scale?  Are they still trying to get her to move down to 135, because that seems irresponsible.  

They seemed very much opposed to doing a featherweight division. Their philosophy has always been that they needed 15 or 16 people to start an active division. Once you get past three or four girls not named Cristiane Justino, it gets really sketchy. Plus, that would pretty much outright end Invicta having that division.

Second, I think one of the UFC's goals was always to have bantamweights to move up to fight her at a catchweight. I think her reason for signing a contract specifically was money plus superfights (obviously the main one being a Rousey fight). The problem with that is everyone says they want to face her, but yeah no, they don't want to face her. The main reason she still seems willing to do this cut is a Rousey fight is still guaranteed millions in her bank account. She makes decent money based on what she has got already but Rousey is the biggest catch possible. Hence, why she has turned the corner and wants Rousey to come back so bad.

Lastly, and this is just my opinion but I feel confident there is truth to it, they want to send a message to her that they call the shots. As I said in the MMA talk thread, the Lansberg bout is something that would have happened in Invicta. Cris thought they would let her do one fight in UFC, one fight in Invicta, one fight in the UFC, etc. They're making it loud and clear that they run this whole deal. She fights on their terms and that's how it will be. I can see why people believe this 140 thing is ridiculous but on the other hand, some of this is kinda on her. She had other options on the table (the 145 division in Bellator was going to be built solely around her when Carano didn't jump back on the Coker bandwagon), but she signed the UFC deal. In addition, that whole presser thing with Tito veered so much into freakshow carny status that I felt they were going to have it out for her no matter what. They felt she was a thorn in their side for so long that they feel validated to be petty as fuck. I have no idea why her management believed the UFC would not harbor any ill will towards them when they signed that deal. But hey, I'm just a spectator.

This entire "24 hours X fighter weighs 12+ lbs over the established weight limit" is getting tiresome and it seems like it's being used to create unnecessary drama.

They said the same thing with Punk and now with Cyborg. I wouldn't be surprised if it's truth, but it just seems like they're doing it for the sake of creating more drama for an upcoming event. Unfortunately every upcoming show has been built around some kind of drama for the last couple of months and it's pretty shameful imo.

27 minutes ago, Edwin said:

This entire "24 hours X fighter weighs 12+ lbs over the established weight limit" is getting tiresome and it seems like it's being used to create unnecessary drama.

They said the same thing with Punk and now with Cyborg. I wouldn't be surprised if it's truth, but it just seems like they're doing it for the sake of creating more drama for an upcoming event. Unfortunately every upcoming show has been built around some kind of drama for the last couple of months and it's pretty shameful imo.

Are you talking about the media or someone else? Because Punk making weight seemed to be pretty insignificant either way. I think people were looking for a different angle on the Punk thing other than him losing quickly. There is only so much you can write about for 6-8 weeks on a 0-0 fighter going against a prospect with a 2-0 record. Ain't that much to go on unless you followed pro wrestling.

However, on this one, it's pretty much because people really don't have anything to talk about. Cyborg's last fight was pretty much the same thing. You can also add the one before that. Listening to the Press Row on Sherdog, it seems pretty unanimous that Cyborg's weight is always going to take priority (especially with people covering the events she fights on) just because you don't have much to work with in terms of opponent or opponents. Who doesn't know Leslie Smith isn't going to get smashed with the quickness in Curitiba? Same applies here even though I doubt people are tracking down Lina Akhtar Lansberg fights just to see if she can be competitive one way or the other. What I find fascinating is that it does resemble the Punk thing in that people know with George Lockhart (or any respected person in that field), Cris is most likely going to make weight. Moreover, with the opponent, it isn't going to ultimately matter how the weight cut went since Cyborg is considered so above her opponent (it was vice versa for Punk). So in the end, all that anyone got out of this leading up to the fight is some photos of Cyborg looking dehydrated. That's about it.

I'm talking about the media. They've been doing the same thing with X o Y fighter in a main fight being 12 lbs+ overweight 24 ahead of weigh-ins and then the fighter comes in and weighs-in just fine hitting the limit easily.

For people who consistently missed the mark, it's always going to be a storyline. For example, you know that's going to be the biggest headline surrounding a Johny Hendricks fight without fail.

With Tate at UFC 200, I think that did make sense because that was bordering on disastrous on all fronts.

I wonder if another win or two gets Formiga a title shot. He's only lost to Cejudo and Benavidez. Should Demetrious get past the TUF winner and the winner of Cejudo/Benavidez, it's only Formiga, Smolka, and I guess Wilson Reis out there.

Formiga vs. Smolka is more intriguing than Smolka vs. Reis just because Smolka has improved from fight to fight and Formiga is so good on the ground. Reis is a good BJJ black belt, but Formiga is just on a different level and that's what keeps him at the top of the flyweight ranks.