DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers 9/13/13

Overly Critical Man

The guy Ryback beats up is none other than Archibald Peck!

It's the start of a Chikara invasion of WWE!
I just hope this invasion won't require us to travel to Canada to retrieve a secret VHS tape in order to understand what the hell's going on.
Nah, just download my 142-page PDF.
You joke, but we all know this appearance is being added to the PDF.

I'm guessing Ryback is actually a reincarnated Buford Tannen.

Both of those guys got there push to the moon / are still in the middle of their push to the moon and eventually had "title runs."

Does Sandow's booking really feel like he's on the verge of championship greatness?  My Magic 8 Ball says "Signs point to No."

I don't buy Sandow ever being a main eventer.  Entertaining guy on the card?  Sure.  I think he'd be great as an eventual replacement to Lawler or JBL on commentary. 

Then again, Del Rio's big gold belt is a borderline World Television Title at this point so sure Sandow can win it.

• Like 1

Sandow feels like the most worthless MITB winner ever. I think it's a combination of him not really being main event material to begin with and the fact that everyone knows the drill by now where he'll job for months, get a heatless title win, then the writers scratch their heads and ask each other why he isn't getting over before they pull the plug on him a couple months later.

If the brand split is over, this should be the last year of two MITB cases.

I think that is my problem.  Sandow is solidly mid-card and running around with the gimmick that guarantees you main event.

I could see him constantly contesting for the IC or the US belt but a World title?  Nah.  Besides that, who could he really challenge?  Orton is a superheel right now and even a marginally booked Del Rio should wrestle the laces off of Sandow's boots.

I suppose the most obvious path to the title is to pick off RVD via chicken shit chicanery should RVD beat Del Rio this weekend at NoC.

I almost wonder if the MitB booking as of late hasn't been about proving whether these people can handle the spot.

Bryan went on a big losing streak when he had the briefcase. Orton wasn't winning a ton of matches before his heel turn.

To me, it's laziness. The writers see it as a crutch. So long as a guy has the briefcase they are on some level bulletproof, so they can use them to get other guys over.

I really wish that Ryback had given Archie a spinning backfist just so Quack would have to work Ryback in to Chikara canon. 

I still maintain the best thing to do with Sandow and the briefcase is have him cut promos for months about how he has a fool proof plan for cashing in due to his superior intelligence, and then have the plan blow up in his face. It's not like it really hurts him, everyone knows that he is going back down to the mid card once the token reign is over. 

I think you start down the slippery slope if you start booking the MITB as a hit or miss deal.  Taking the rub away from the briefcase by not allowing Sandow to have at least a token run for a month sets a bad standard. 

If I were Sandow, I'd be pretty pissed off if I ended up being the answer to that "Who is the only guy to win MITB and not win a title?" trivia question at WWE.com.

I think you start down the slippery slope if you start booking the MITB as a hit or miss deal.  Taking the rub away from the briefcase by not allowing Sandow to have at least a token run for a month sets a bad standard. 

If I were Sandow, I'd be pretty pissed off if I ended up being the answer to that "Who is the only guy to win MITB and not win a title?" trivia question at WWE.com.

The answer is John Cena already.

Like Morganti said, if John Cena can fail, I don't see why its a big deal that Sandow did. Also, we need to get away from MitB being an assured title win. I don't think it would devalue winning it all that much, to be honest. It's still a big deal to win the Rumble, even though not everyone who does goes on to win the belt (or even main event Wrestlemania for that matter). 

The WWE line of thinking bugs the hell out of me.  They always say that Cena was the only one who didn't cash in MITB for a title win and blame it on giving Punk a week's notice.  Cena had the match won when Big Show interfered for the DQ so it was hardly Cena's fault that the cash-in wasn't successful.  As for the other part of it, RVD gave Cena about a MONTH'S notice on his cash-in and still won.

Thus is wrestling, though:  History only matters when it's relevant.

• Like 1

I love Sandow. He's a super-serious blowhard. A dude like that winning the title via a cheap cash-in and thinking he's a world-beater as a result makes perfect sense.

I'm a big Damien Sandow fan as well. Sandow wins with the World Heavyweight Championship with the Elbow of Disdain and brings back the cartwheel celebration.