DVDVR Message Board

Clash of the Champions XXXVI

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Brysynner said:

So the ending of the main event is going to be Hunter hitting the Pedigree on Rollins while Stephanie yells at Hunter and the show will go off the air with more of Stephanie angrily yelling at her husband.

sounds about right

14 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Yeah, Jericho's character work has been off the charts lately, but I wouldn't count on any match of his to steal any show, even opposite Sami.

I think the darkhorse candidate is Cesaro/Sheamus, which has quietly been a pretty good feud.

Yeah, I always thought that the Sheamus/Cesaro series would be great, given that you've got 2 of the 5 best workers on the main roster together, but it's been even more interesting than I guessed. They've had a really fun narrative throughout, and assuming Cesaro wins on Raw next week, I think the final could be a MOTYC

• Like 1

Actually - Kendrick is the person to use

Since in theory - 80% of a RAW crowd is going to have followed the CWC, using someone who (in theory) is known would help to get the title (and TJP) over

I was thinking someone who would work a faster pace match to establish the division as something "new and different."

Kendrick's character only works when you know what the style is that he can't keep up with. He does have the name value, but I suspect whoever the challenger is will get that spot by winning a showcase fatal 4-way, since that is Raw's preferred method of establishing contenders.

Edit:

With the season premiere of the last season of Family Guy, the return of Last Week Tonight, special sunday edition of Hardball, and various other TV specials and things going on Sunday night, I'm just going to skip Clash. If it gets rave reviews here on DVDR I'll watch it later in the week. WWE puts out so much content that I don't feel it's a big deal to skip a PPV.

I don't know if it would be a stretch to say this is the best-looking main roster card all year. The Women's, US, and CW titles all look like plus matches. Match 7 should be good too, and the only thing holding back the universal match is the obvious shit finish.

SNF is Bears/Cowboys, so WWE gets the big screen/sound on Sunday for sure.

• Like 1

Predictions...

TJ Perkins retains over Brian Kendrick. I hope Kendrick goes full batshit insane heel, though. 

Cesaro over Sheamus, although I won't be surprised by the opposite result. 

Nia destroys Alicia, who aligns herself with her new guru Jinder Mahal. 

Jericho probably beats Zayn, and moves on to a mini-feud with KO, eventually. 

Sasha wins the Raw Women's Championship, and holds it until Bayley beats her at Mania. 

Gallows/Anderson beat New Day for the tag titles.

Reigns wins the US Title from Rusev, obviously.

KO retains over Rollins, with papa Trips assistance. 

I dug Perkins's 8-bit Mega Man-style entrance theme. 

That match didn't really do what it needed to do, by the way. I think it was laid out a bit incorrectly. First off, Perkins's most engaging stuff is his flippy stuff, but this match started on the mat. It needed Perkins to hit some high-end stuff through the air to get the crowd into him before Kendrick worked him to the mat to avoid that stuff. That way, Perkins coming up and hitting high-end stuff to break through Kendrick's mat assault would have meant something to the crowd. When Perkins started going to the air, it was a bit too late and not really enough for what he needed.

Also, Perkins teasing the legbar early didn't work to pop the crowd since it seemed like the crowd didn't really recognize it as the death submission that it had been built as in the CWC. At this point, NXT's top stars are clearly recognized by main show fans, but I don't know if those fans kept up with the CWC. 

It didn't help that Perkins and Kendrick had a few timing issues with one another. Not good that Perkins was getting audibly booed after winning - he's supposed to be the face centerpiece of the division, but they didn't really lay out the match to present him in a way that the crowd would latch on. 

The rest of the show was what it was.

• There was no need to stretch out this cold best-of-seven with a screwjob finish.
  • Tag match was fine. Jericho/Zayn was fine.
  • Jericho didn't need that win, plus I thought I caught him telling Sami that the finish was coming right before he did it, so it didn't exactly catch me off-guard. 
  • Women's match started slow, picked up into a really fun match, and then had a deflating ending. I think Charlotte was the right winner, as it's too soon for Bayley and Sasha needs to figure out how to pick her spots to avoid injury, but the finish was just sort of shitty. 
  • Reigns/Rusev was surprisingly not great. It was fine, but I expected more. I wish the dudes in the crowd would get over their stiffy for hating on Reigns. Dude, Vince McMahon okayed a Kevin Owens title run, and that was right after okaying a Finn Bálor title run! You guys won! The indie-fication of the WWE is in full effect! We can let it go and actually cheer Reigns for being good at pro wrestling now. 
  • The main was overbooked garbage. Didn't enjoy it at all, don't care about palace intrigue. 

I would rate that new 2K17 commercial as one of my top four most enjoyable events on this show, which is partially a shot at the show itself. This was no Backlash, which was just pure fun. 

Also, maybe someone has said this before, but I wish Owens would bring back the Quebecers as his aged flunky bodyguards who get beat up a lot. It's 2016, and I'm interested in the Amazing French Canadiens on my screen in that role. 

• Like 4

Cross=posting what I said on PWO about the women's match:

Women's match was absurd. Charlotte was the heel in that situation. Moreover, she was going over. And on top of that, she had Dana out there. They had her no sell all sorts of things, like the Bayley to Belly, or recover super quickly from a long Bank Statement with no ill effects. They had her outwrestle Bayley and Sasha in almost every 2 on 1 situation. It wasn't miscommunication from the faces or Dana interfering (She interfered what, twice in the whole match?) It was the heel outwrestling the babyfaces against the odds. It was brutal and blatant. Just totally backwards. Dana should have been evening the odds at every point or Bayley and Sasha should have been tripping over each other as they realized that they wanted to win. Etc. Instead it was Charlotte just being a superior wrestler than the other two, even the two combined. I was gawking every other minute in that match when they had Charlotte look way too strong. 

Well that was a show that happened.

There were some good matches killed by bad booking decisions, there were some extended TV matches killed by bad booking decisions, there were some not-so-good matches killed by bad booking decisions, and there was Rusev/Reigns, which was good and had good booking.  

Smackdown blows the doors off Raw so bad it's not even funny.

I'll also say, as big of a fan of Sasha I am, the Women's Three way made it pretty damn apparent that the best of the Horsewomen works Tuesdays.

Underwhelming show. Not bad just didn't have too much fun watching it.

Cesaro and Sheamus were on their way to a MOTYC but that finish was lame. I'm sure they'll do something like put them in a Hell In A Cell match because of it but you could have gotten there without burning through all seven matches first. Hopefully Cesaro's neck is ok.

• Like 1

Reigns vs. Rusev: Ref throws out Lana for getting involved, as an established manager, instead of calling for a DQ, so Roman can look super impressive and beat Rusev clean twice, cause Roman has to look fucking amazing.

Rollins vs. Owens: Ref doesn't throw out Jericho who just randomly runs out, even after he clearly was distracting the opponent, then gets taken out and stays dead forever because we really need Rollins to be sympathetic even though he's still an annoying whiny dick.

The booking is just so ham fisted that it kills any and all interest i have in this show. Cesaro/Sheamus double count out, but not on Cesaro god damned dying on his suicide dive, but instead on a weak clothesline. The Triple Threat was booked by an idiot, because the heel constantly was winning 2 on 1 versus the faces, and Dana not interfering literally all the time was dumb as shit. 

• Like 3

Just now, El Dragon said:

Reigns vs. Rusev: Ref throws out Lana for getting involved, as an established manager, instead of calling for a DQ, so Roman can look super impressive and beat Rusev clean twice, cause Roman has to look fucking amazing.

Rollins vs. Owens: Ref doesn't throw out Jericho who just randomly runs out, even after he clearly was distracting the opponent, then gets taken out and stays dead forever because we really need Rollins to be sympathetic even though he's still an annoying whiny dick.

In this case, it made sense because they were teasing that the ref was in HHH/Stephanie's (???) pocket and was allowing the interference. Commentary was pretty clear that the ref was missing interference that he shouldn't have. 

The ref letting Dana stick around the triple threat, on the other hand...

• Like 1

So weird that Smackdown has a PPV with so many guys low or middle of the the WWE totem pole that was 15 minutes early and it was miles better than a RAW PPV that went 5 minutes over time and has almost all of the biggest stars in the company except Cena and Orton who worked maybe 2 minutes combined in the Smackdown PPV.