DVDVR Message Board

Random stuff you remember that hardly anybody else does

BrianS81177

Bam Neely had a cup of coffee in WWE but I remember virtually nothing about him. Ron Waterman was a Heat jobber who was supposed to go places but never did. Sakoda was Yang's extremely injury prone partner. Tiger Ali Sing was supposedly hated by other wrestlers and shitcanned quickly. The Maestro was hated by WCW and shitcanned as well. Jesus Aguilera was a talented man with an unescapable bad gimmick. Joy Giovanni was Big Show's hot platonic friend.

I heard they all got jobs at the Olive Garden and Shane Douglas is their manager.

9 minutes ago, Matt788 said:

Bam Neely had a cup of coffee in WWE but I remember virtually nothing about him. Ron Waterman was a Heat jobber who was supposed to go places but never did. Sakoda was Yang's extremely injury prone partner. Tiger Ali Sing was supposedly hated by other wrestlers and shitcanned quickly. The Maestro was hated by WCW and shitcanned as well. Jesus Aguilera was a talented man with an unescapable bad gimmick. Joy Giovanni was Big Show's hot platonic friend.

I heard they all got jobs at the Olive Garden and Shane Douglas is their manager.

And they all have better insurance than a current WWE wrestler.

• Like 5

I was thinking about a particular botch today for some reason, but couldn't quite remember the details. Jeff Hardy and Rico were the principal actors, but I think it was a 6-man table match, so probably Rico/3MW vs. the Hardys and somebody... Anyway, Rico was supposed to tease a top rope moonsault to one of the babyfaces, but Jeff would break it up. Jeff was way out of position and/or didn't know the spot was on, though, because he was laying outside the ring far from the action. Rico had to stall by posing for no reason and acting like he couldn't keep his balance. Eventually he looked over his shoulder and yelled "Come on Jeff God damnit!" and the camera clearly picked it up. Jeff got up and shook the ropes on the opposite side of the ring and Rico sold it by crotching himself.

• Like 1

The original MVP, Abe "Knuckleball" Schwartz. I believe it was Lombardi in the gimmick. I only actually remember him from a WWF Magazine hyping him up, but I'm not sure he ever made it to TV. Did he?

I originally thought this thread was gonna be less about short lived gimmicks, and more about moments that became in-jokes for you and your buddies and that nobody else would remember.

So, on that theme... as kids, we owned this video - http://www.wrestlecrap.com/inductions/induction-fighting-fit-with-roddy-piper-just-so-you-know-he-is-not-your-dad-be-thankful/

It's Roddy Piper teaching kids how to deal with bullies. At one point he teaches them that if a bully comes looking for a fight, they should say "I don't want any trouble!" and has the kids all say it along with him. It sounded so ridiculous that it became a sort of sing songy catchphrase for me and my brothers.

Another couple of random, obscure moments both came from the 2000 Royal Rumble. The Mean Street Posse do run-ins during the Rumble, and Pete Gas completely misjudges the ropes as he's sliding in and takes the rope full force to the neck and bounces back on his ass. Great replay value. The other moment is when Taka gets thrown out and lands on his head, and for some reason Lawler finds this hilarious. Someone in the back does too, because I think they do a backwards/forwards replay of it. Anyway, Lawler being his hilarious self keeps referring to Taka as Chinese. JR goes to correct him but ends up saying "He's Chapanese!"

41 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

I was thinking about a particular botch today for some reason, but couldn't quite remember the details. Jeff Hardy and Rico were the principal actors, but I think it was a 6-man table match, so probably Rico/3MW vs. the Hardys and somebody... Anyway, Rico was supposed to tease a top rope moonsault to one of the babyfaces, but Jeff would break it up. Jeff was way out of position and/or didn't know the spot was on, though, because he was laying outside the ring far from the action. Rico had to stall by posing for no reason and acting like he couldn't keep his balance. Eventually he looked over his shoulder and yelled "Come on Jeff God damnit!" and the camera clearly picked it up. Jeff got up and shook the ropes on the opposite side of the ring and Rico sold it by crotching himself.

Survivor Series '02. 

Out of everything they've left intact on WWEN, Rico's line is now muted during that spot. 

55 minutes ago, Bald Henry said:

The original MVP, Abe "Knuckleball" Schwartz. I believe it was Lombardi in the gimmick. I only actually remember him from a WWF Magazine hyping him up, but I'm not sure he ever made it to TV. Did he?

I remember his gimmick debuted the same time as a baseball strike.  He showed up in the crowds holding up an "I'm on strike" sign, IIRC.

Speaking of Lombardi gimmicks, I remember watching Superstars one afternoon and seeing Kim Che actually wrestling a match against a jobber.  I think it was right after Kamala had turned face and ditched Wippleman and Kim Che to be managed by Slick and I guess they were giving him a match to show he was coming to get revenge on Kamala or something.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I love the big red Censored X being used when Ron Bass attacked Beefcake with the spurs. That red X across the screen made 7 year old me think that was the most vicious thing ever. 

I am pretty sure that "X" returned when someone beat the shit out of Duke the Dumpster but I do not recall who or what happened exactly.

8 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I am pretty sure that "X" returned when someone beat the shit out of Duke the Dumpster but I do not recall who or what happened exactly.

It was Jerry Lawler attacking him with a trashcan.  It wasn't an X, the camera just went REALLY wide as if to say that what was happening was just too brutal to show up close.  Unless the other shows put an X on it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bald Henry said:

He originally debuted in the fall of '93 as MVP.  He wrestled one match on Superstars and was in a Battle Royal on Raw, and the gimmick was dropped.  Then in the fall of '94, during the baseball strike, they brought the gimmick back under the Abe "Knuckleball" Schwartz name.  This time the concept was he was a current MLB player who turned to wrestling because he was out of work.  He showed up a ton of times in the crowd with an "I'm on strike!" sign and eventually wrestled a couple matches on Superstars and Challenge before the gimmick was dropped again.  Here's a match from Superstars where Vince and Lawler try to figure out which MLB player is under the makeup, and Vince makes sure to get in one "Not sure if he's a pitcher or catcher" joke:

11 hours ago, Matt788 said:

Bam Neely had a cup of coffee in WWE but I remember virtually nothing about him.

I remember he was Chavo's bodyguard during Chavo's La Familia/ECW heel champ run, and they eventually split him off and made him a singles wrestler, at which point his WWE career died quickly.  I can't recall a single match of Neely's, or anything he did while paired with Chavo, or even what his finisher was, or what he wore to the ring.  So... yeah.

I might recognize Ricky Ortiz if I passed him.  Or I might think he was Carlito/Carly Colon with bad tats (he's a wrestler; what are the odds?).  It'd help if he carried his rally towel around and waved it as he passed.  Only things I really remember about Ortiz are afro, rally towel, big splash finisher even though he really wasn't big enough to make that work for him.

• Like 1

Ortiz is now married to Layla so I think he won.

Anyone remember when Cena turned on Bull Buchanan then known as B-2, when Redd Dogg attacked B-2 becoming Cena's new muscle before reappearing on Raw a week or so later billed as Rodney Mack?

17 hours ago, Matt788 said:

Anyone remember BA Brad Armstrong as the only wrestler in No Limit soldiers who could wrestle?

Didn't Armstrong also show up on the early days of ECW on the Sci Fi channel? I seem to remember him coming out to commentate, arguing with Taz and leaving. 

24 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

Didn't Armstrong also show up on the early days of ECW on the Sci Fi channel? I seem to remember him coming out to commentate, arguing with Taz and leaving. 

Yep. I'll just copy and paste this from Wiki... 

On September 12, 2006, Armstrong signed a contract with World Wrestling Entertainment and began wrestling at ECW brand house shows and acting as a trainer to the younger members of the roster. In December, around the time rumors of ECW color commentator Tazz leaving the company began to circulate, Armstrong began to make sporadic appearances as a "guest commentator" on the brand. The three-man booth, originally for a single match on the December 19 episode before expanding to a full show on January 9, did not last and Armstrong resumed his role as a producer.

Anyone remember that 5 or 6 week period where every week on Raw you would see Michael Tarver in the background of a backstage segment texting on his phone?

Or how about Jamie Noble bringing in his cousin Nunzio? and then it was never mentioned again that they were related.

Also the time Kane dragged Daivari by his foot all the way up the ramp and stage. His entire back was sickeningly bruised up in pics on the internet the next day. As well as the time Daivari told the internet that he tried to do as many hindu squats as Benoit and he was so exhausted he peed blood for a day.

WWE was a little abusive to Daivari, and they never let him do his babyface character after the Hassan debacle. Good thing there is another Daivari that hopefully gets less abused and miscast.