DVDVR Message Board

Random stuff you remember that hardly anybody else does

BrianS81177

9 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

Something I just remembered when watching some old Coliseum Videos: Lord Alfred Hayes: dirty old man. One of the better comedy bits would be when Lord Alfred kept trying to peak in on Sherri changing various clothing articles several different times.

This reminds me of the first WWF: The Music CD commercial where they had little boys dressed up/acting like various wrestlers (including Goldust and Shawn Michaels) in between cuts Lord Alfred creepily laughing and clapping along. It had pedo vibes all the way. Can't find the commercial by itself, but it was on some late 96/early 97 Raws for sure.

• Like 2

On 9/19/2016 at 1:31 PM, Go2Sleep said:

This reminds me of the first WWF: The Music CD commercial where they had little boys dressed up/acting like various wrestlers (including Goldust and Shawn Michaels) in between cuts Lord Alfred creepily laughing and clapping along. It had pedo vibes all the way. Can't find the commercial by itself, but it was on some late 96/early 97 Raws for sure.

It was Freddie Blassie being the creeper.

• Like 1

I fell down a YouTube rabbit hole one day and ended up on a bunch of Lana Star promos from one of the WOW "relaunches".  She was WOW Champion which I didn't remember so I went to the Wikipedia.  She gets it in 2002 (probably a phantom change), loses it in 2013, wins it again in 2014 and still holds it today.  So Lana Star's like the modern day Moolah just without all the exploiting of young girls or the enslavement of a midget.  Presumably.

Also, her new sidekick is the the chick with Famous B. in Lucha Underground now.

This was probably more 'random stuff nobody cared about' than 'random stuff nobody remembers' though.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

It was Freddie Blassie being the creeper.

Yeah, I believe it was, now that you mention it. Somehow there's no video I can find of it on the internet.

Random thing: Remember when Kurt Angle tranquilized Big Show and shaved his head? That was a pretty big deal, but how about Michael Cole running the phrase "raped of his dignity" into the ground? He must have said that at least 3 times per segment for the duration of that feud.

6 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Yeah, I believe it was, now that you mention it. Somehow there's no video I can find of it on the internet.

Random thing: Remember when Kurt Angle tranquilized Big Show and shaved his head? That was a pretty big deal, but how about Michael Cole running the phrase "raped of his dignity" into the ground? He must have said that at least 3 times per segment for the duration of that feud.

Cole watched the Andre angle from 1985 and repeated it verbatim.

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Cesaro was one of the security guards that ran in to save somebody from something in some angle before he ever had a match in WWE. RANDOM THING I REMEMBERED~! (kinda)

Claudio was a security guard in DX backstage segment in 2006. 

I just went back and watched it again and noticed the other security guard was EC3.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

On 9/18/2016 at 8:39 PM, RolandTHTG said:

Remember that Kid/Razor vs Gunns match on a PPV say maybe 95 or so? 

I don't think they've ever used that finish of Razor getting disqualified for breaking up the pin attempt too many times again? Told a pretty good story and advanced things well.

Yes, now that you mention it.

Must've been In Your House #3 or #4 because it was the start of Kid's heel turn, complete by Survivor Series 95.

[The Random Thing I Remember is Candido's top rope powerbomb bump from the opening Survivor Series match, which came down to Janetty vs the newly turned Kid.  Survivor Series 95 occupies more space in my memory than it probably deserves.]

And no, I don't recall ever seeing that finish reused.

4 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

Man, now I'm picturing healthy Earthquake hooking on for one last run, long enough to be the first big man that Brock Lesnar puts in the F5.

If you're going to picture Earthquake getting one last run, there's gotta be something better for him to do at the end than be the first sacrificial lamb on the Altar of Brock.

Now I'm gonna go watch some Earthquake/Boss Man matches.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Yes, now that you mention it.

Must've been In Your House #3 or #4 because it was the start of Kid's heel turn, complete by Survivor Series 95.

[The Random Thing I Remember is Candido's top rope powerbomb bump from the opening Survivor Series match, which came down to Janetty vs the newly turned Kid.  Survivor Series 95 occupies more space in my memory than it probably deserves.]

And no, I don't recall ever seeing that finish reused.

The Underdogs vs. Bodydonnas SS tag match is easily the best match on a very lackluster card. That match would probably make my top 5 of best Survivor Series tag matches. 

5 hours ago, kafkonia said:

If you're going to picture Earthquake getting one last run, there's gotta be something better for him to do at the end than be the first sacrificial lamb on the Altar of Brock.

Now I'm gonna go watch some Earthquake/Boss Man matches.

Do yourself one better and go watch some Tenta matches out of WWF. There's a pile of them over in the MISC MATCHES thread. 

• Like 1

I remember seeing an episode of WWF Tuesday Night Titans, featuring an interview with a very soft-spoken Curtis Iaukea, narrating some video footage about Hawaii. This was a good year or so before he adopted "The Wizard" gimmick, managing Kamala and Sika. 

I had totally forgotten about this episode until it showed up on the Network. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisM said:

I remember seeing an episode of WWF Tuesday Night Titans, featuring an interview with a very soft-spoken Curtis Iaukea, narrating some video footage about Hawaii. This was a good year or so before he adopted "The Wizard" gimmick, managing Kamala and Sika. 

I had totally forgotten about this episode until it showed up on the Network. 

Just watched this the other night. Was surreal seeing Curtis out of character, being presented as just another retired wrestler.

Also made me wonder again just how much Philadelphia Arena film from the early 70s they are sitting on that hasn't been converted or is too expensive to convert, that stuff was a staple of those early TNT shows.

Just now, Log said:

This comes up a lot, but The Undertaker was billed as Cain The Undertaker in his first appearance at Survivor Series 90.

Actually he wasn't.  He was just The Undertaker. The confusion was in that they had already taped the syndicated shows ahead of time talking about the amazing Survivor Series debut of "Cain."  (I assume the original name.) So for one set of TV tapings, he was "Cain the Undertaker." Then they went right back to being called The Undertaker.