DVDVR Message Board

Random stuff you remember that hardly anybody else does

BrianS81177

9 hours ago, Mike Campbell said:

Ranger Danger wasn't associated with the WWF. He was a TV personality on the Albany, NY FOX Affiliate, if you look closely you'll see the microphone says FOX 23 on it. He did a ton of dumb skits like that in the early to mid 1990s in the mornings and afternoons, when Fox was showing kid programming. He was a radio DJ who was charged with DWI, and doing Ranger Danger was his community service.

Wait, I thought community service was supposed to be a good thing for society.  Because that video was more like cruel and unusual punishment for those watching.

• Haha 1

On 2/16/2020 at 1:31 PM, For Great Justice said:

This is one of the best thread bumps on record if only for the 2001 Earthquake squash and finding out that Del Ray was Jimmy Graffiti.

My contribution is Glacier's debut happening on Pro rather than Nitro. Always thought that was weird.

Jimmy Graffiti had a really good match with Dean Malenko on a Nitro from 1996. I wanna say it was Nov or Dec 1996. I know people say it a lot but that was one of the best things about Nitro. You never knew when you were going to get some random pairing like that which would produce a decent match.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I haven’t seen any of Marty’s ECW matches but he was still good in WCW so they’re probably worth checking out if he ever wrestled anybody any good. ECW in 1995 hadn’t quite shifted toward better wrestling just yet. Lots of hardcore and brawling which was fun but probably nothing Marty went out and was great in.

I also remember a good Dean Malenko vs Brad Armstrong match from Nitro in 1997 that was a good mat wrestling match. Obviously Brad was always good but I would have guessed that he would have moved as crisply on the mat as Dean for 10 whole minutes.

Nitro is also loaded fun inside gems that I probably haven’t discovered. 1 example is Nash’s Master Blaster’s reference during a Goldberg squash vs Al Green. I was to say the Texas Hangmen wrestled 3 times in 1 night but I can’t find verification anywhere. They wrestled as the Hangmen, some other thrown together tag team with masks, and as each other in squashes. And somewhere in the middle Bobby Heenan was making jokes about it.

3 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Jimmy Graffiti had a really good match with Dean Malenko on a Nitro from 1996. I wanna say it was Nov or Dec 1996. I know people say it a lot but that was one of the best things about Nitro. You never knew when you were going to get some random pairing like that which would produce a decent match.

My favorite thing about Jimmy Graffiti is they spell his names 3 different ways on his gear and THEY'RE ALL WRONG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Does anyone remember Steve Armstrong's brief WWF run as Lance Cassidy?

He beat Brooklyn Brawler to open the last live wrestling show I ever saw with my dad. Same show had Backlund's return so it was the biggest Garden crowd in years (over 12,000).

• Like 2

I don’t remember the other name but I know that happened. The singles matches in squashes part I might have dreamed up. 

https://youtu.be/gX2enodtI2Q

Came along a little to late. They would have been gold in the old days. I used to have the bad assest pic of them in an old magazine whose name escapes me. It was the coolest pic right up there with the Freebirds painted up pic, Savage elbow pic etc.

Edited by BloodyChamp
  • Like 1

On 2/16/2020 at 9:28 PM, BloodyChamp said:

Basically any good WCW theme was stock music from somewhere. Jimmy Hart’s were terrible lol! I’d heard Goldberg’s theme here and there over the years. It’s another 1 of the little reasons I was never on his bandwagon. It wasn’t the main reason or anything, but it sure didn’t help.

Sting's late 80's/early 90s theme bizarrely can be heard in "Rita, Sue and Bob Too", a British film from 1987.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Another factoid about that theme is that it’s...I don’t know the word but I bet there’s a word that means what this was...recorded into the VHS version of GAB 90 like music on a music video tape. Most of WCW’s themes were just there however loud they happened to be on camera. 

I should add that when I said “WCW” I was referring to the time Jimmy Hart was doing themes. The mid90s stuff with the house band wasn’t to bad (Steiner Line, The Man Called Sting, etc). And WCW from 88-90 was the GOAT theme music. It stinks that they had to scrap name brand music because they had a bunch of good themes nailed down character wise.