DVDVR Message Board

Random stuff you remember that hardly anybody else does

BrianS81177

26 minutes ago, nofuture said:

What was up with the Headhunters showing up on Raw in '97 and attacking Owen Hart, The British Bulldog & The Headbangers?  They were billed as the The Arabian Butchers managed by Jim Cornette and after that, never showed up again.

I remember them briefly being in the Rumble in 96.

5 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

Actually he wasn't.  He was just The Undertaker. The confusion was in that they had already taped the syndicated shows ahead of time talking about the amazing Survivor Series debut of "Cain."  (I assume the original name.) So for one set of TV tapings, he was "Cain the Undertaker." Then they went right back to being called The Undertaker.

I swear I have a vivid memory of seeing him come out as Cain The Undertaker at Survivor Series.  Checked youtube, and I'm wrong.  I can't think of any tapings around that time that I would have seen.  Weird. 

I guess that fits with the theme of this thread!

So here's the timeline for Undertaker:

10/29/90 Superstars taping (airs 11/24 two days after Survivor Series):  Vince announces that Brother Love is on hiatus because he is busy with his new protege "Cain."

Somewhere in there they decided on a name change because:

11/19 & 11/20 tapings (airs 12/9 & 12/15):  Undertaker debuts on TV as Cain the Undertaker (the only times he was ever called Cain.)

11/22 Survivor Series:  Actual live debut as The Undertaker.

2 hours ago, Log said:

I swear I have a vivid memory of seeing him come out as Cain The Undertaker at Survivor Series.  Checked youtube, and I'm wrong.  I can't think of any tapings around that time that I would have seen.  Weird. 

I guess that fits with the theme of this thread!

I would have sworn the same thing.

My No-Prize explanation is that "Cain"/"Kane" is the surname. This explains why Stephanie called him "Mark" during the Ministry abduction angle, and why his brother also goes by Kane.

Remember when Scott Hall would wear his Razor gear underneath his Outsiders gear, and the spandex sleeve over his elbow or knee pad would "slip", leaving the bright RR colors showing? I thought it was pretty crazy at the time. 

Let me see if I've got this correct: When Michinoku Pro started, Sasuke was top face, Delfin was top heel, Kaientai (Shiryu, Sato and Terry Boy) were underneath faces, TAKA was a young boy, and Funaki was a Battlarts wrestler who guested in MPro a lot.

Then Kaientai turned heel and became Kaientai DX (meaning deluxe), with Sato becoming Dick TOGO,Terry Boy becoming Men's TEIOH, and Shiryu not having fur on his mask any more, and TAKA and Funaki joining. But a bit after that, TAKA moved to New York, with TOGO, TEIOH and Funaki soon to follow, whilst Shiryu stuck around for a little while and then moved to Atlanta and became Kaz Hayashi, in the Young Dragons with Jamie Noble (get well soon) and Yung Yang.

Then WCW goes out of business, and Noble & Yang winding up in WWE eventually (after Togo and Teioh had gone)... but what happened to Kaz Hayashi? I know there was a Shiryu II in MPro for a while, was that him?

Yep, Kaz went back to Japan after WCW folded and joined AJPW.  He was their cruiserweight ace for most of the decade.  He made one appearance in the WWE after Vince bought them out.

Shiryu II wasn't Kaz.  Shiryu II was a fairly unknown luchador named Fantastik who bopped around both Mexico and Japan in a variety of gimmicks during the 1980's-2000's.  He also went by La Mascara in Big Japan, irrc.

Kaz actually went to Mexico for a bit between his departure from MPro and joining WCW.

On September 26, 2016 at 2:26 PM, cwoy2j said:

Anybody else remember Vic Grimes as a coke dealer named Key in WWF?

I remember him showing up on raw(so much white on that big ol boy) and I have vague memories of a shotgun match. Remember it coming out after the fact he was going to be a dealer, but did they actually say that on tv?

1 hour ago, MisterPhil21 said:

I remember him showing up on raw(so much white on that big ol boy) and I have vague memories of a shotgun match. Remember it coming out after the fact he was going to be a dealer, but did they actually say that on tv?

I can't remember if they actually said it but I remember his name was Key which was supposed to be kind of a wink wink nudge nudge at "Kilo".

having just watched that entire stretch of tv in the past couple months, there was zero mention of any of that. he was called the "man in white" for his first two appearances, and named Key in his match. there wasn't ANY mention of drugs whatsoever (implied of explicit). i dunno if the angle would have played out later, but i doubt it because Droz and Albert (without Key) were used very sparingly for the next two months until Droz's injury.  

On 10/3/2016 at 10:09 PM, twiztor said:

having just watched that entire stretch of tv in the past couple months, there was zero mention of any of that. he was called the "man in white" for his first two appearances, and named Key in his match. there wasn't ANY mention of drugs whatsoever (implied of explicit). i dunno if the angle would have played out later, but i doubt it because Droz and Albert (without Key) were used very sparingly for the next two months until Droz's injury.  

From what I remember reading, they were going to have him be their dealer but Grimes got injured/fired/whatever before they could get the angle going. Droz and Albert were doing their forced piercing/tattoo gimmick at the time. Also,Russo wanted to reveal that it was Droz who was supplying Hawk with drugs during the "Hawk is an addict" storyline that culminated with Droz "pushing" Hawk off the Titantron. IIRC, Hawk would've gone to (storyline) rehab and then reveal that Droz was a pusher in more ways than one. See, he pushed Hawk off the Titantron and was also pushing drugs on him. Get it? God bless Vince Russo.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, twiztor said:

Hawk DID actually say that he got the stuff from Droz. i believe that happened on Raw, it got referenced on Shotgun and maybe Heat, and then never mentioned again.

I was actually at the Raw where that promo happened.  "You're the PUSHERMAN.  You're the enabler!"

I was also at the SmackDown where Heidenreich raped Michael Cole.