DVDVR Message Board

Random stuff you remember that hardly anybody else does

BrianS81177

Just now, J.H. said:

I vaguely recall Tito Santana and Al Perez working as a pseudo Strike Force 2.0 for like a month and thne suddenly Perez was kinda sorta feuding with Tito for some reason after that... did I imagine this?

James

Al Perez and Tito had a match on Prime Time once but that's as far as their interaction ever went.  Perez was pretty much a jobber to the stars in the WWF and I don't think he made any appearances outside of PTW.

7 hours ago, colonial said:

The Commandant was a professional actor from South Africa named Robin Smith. He had apparently befriended Bret Hart, who recommended him to Vince.

AFAIK, he didn't last long because he couldn't take bumps/get physical in matches. He went back to acting and still works in TV and movies -- had a part in "Invictus", IIRC.

Until reading this I had always remembered The Commandant as Col. DeBeers. Like I never considered for a moment that it was not Col. DeBeers. 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2016 at 9:25 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I love the big red Censored X being used when Ron Bass attacked Beefcake with the spurs. That red X across the screen made 7 year old me think that was the most vicious thing ever. 

I remember them doing that in 81-82 with Blackjack Mulligan's clawhold.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2016 at 10:42 AM, cwoy2j said:

IIRC, Stasiak lost the subsequent match b/c he got hit in his boner. I wanna say he was wrestling Bossman who hit him in the crotch with a nightstick which Stasiak sold as death.

Indeed he did.  Funny watching Bossman freak out when Stasiak did a go behind and the fake boner brushed against him. 

11 minutes ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Indeed he did.  Funny watching Bossman freak out when Stasiak did a go behind and the fake boner brushed against him. 

At least he knew how the Mountie felt after their match at The SummerSlam. 

And that, was certainly hard times. 

• Like 8

Smith was wrestling someone with a Valet, so the crowd starting chanting "JT's got a woody". So he grabbed the house mic and said "Pretty spectacular, ain't it?"

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Ask Feinstein. 

Fun game, ask Feinstein a question  that would be answered by a number (How many shoot interviews has Necro done?) on Facebook or Twitter.  Whatever his reply say "Haha I'll pretend you said 18" and see how quickly he blocks you.  Never gets old.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Does anybody remember Steve Williams showing up in a robe and Kabuki mask on Raw and attacking someone?

Yup!  It was supposed to be Dr. Death's "Japanese" gimmick to feud with Steve Austin.  There was an article in WWF Magazine or in Raw magazine talking about how Williams had "forsaken his heritage" or somesuch.  It all got torn apart by the Brawl for All.

8 minutes ago, (BP) said:

@Technico Support Dr. Death shows up just after the 2:00 mark. I think they were trying to do something with him and Gunn after Brawl for All and then changed their minds. 

That's the one, thanks!  @Michael Sweetser was almost right, except this was apparently after Williams returned from his BFA injury.  No idea why they needed a dumb gimmick like the "heritage" thing or him being managed by JR.  I guess just letting a guy go kick some ass was too "rasslin."

7 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

The best part of Dr. Death's return (if I'm remembering correctly), was when JR had his own announce table. 

That reminds me of the Funk/Foley match with Austin on commentary when the audio would randomly turn to static and Austin accused JR of pushing buttons to make that happen. Didn't that happen at other times? (and if anyone had buttons it was Russo)

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

That reminds me of the Funk/Foley match with Austin on commentary when the audio would randomly turn to static and Austin accused JR of pushing buttons to make that happen. Didn't that happen at other times? (and if anyone had buttons it was Russo)

I remember on IYH: Buried Alive JR was having headset problems, and him getting pissed at Vince. 

Thanks, all those In Your House PPVs blur together in my head.  I think they had started the whole "Ross is unhappy" angle before then and it just sorta culminated with the fake Razor and Diesel.

I also remember reading rumors that they were considering bringing in Steve Corino as a fake 1-2-3 Kid at the same time.

Has Glenn Jacobs ever done an interview re: being the fake Diesel, and have they ever acknowledged it on TV while he was Kane?  It's actually pretty amazing that he was able to conquer that shitty gimmick and get repackaged again - although it does show that if WWE believes in you, they will keep trying until they get it right (sometimes). 

I just watched the Undertaker v. Unabomb match from SMW that's in the Hidden Gems section on the Network, and man, he was so obviously going to be SOMETHING good if he could get the right experience and seasoning.  He was like the best possible version of Sid.  I also remember reading that that match was what got him signed with the WWF, as Undertaker and Paul Bearer put in a good word for him.  Any truth to that?

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 3:23 PM, jstout said:

LeDuc was a Tennessee territories legend - when some heel manager type brought him in, you knew it was trouble for the local top babyface. Kinda of a bounty hunter vibe, even if there wasn't a bounty on someone's head, per se. He was kinda used the way territories used Abdullah the Butcher. LeDuc's, of course, most remembered for the "ax slicing" promo, but was a really good promo to have such a thick accent (character or real, I dunno).

He was also a babyface in the South as well. He always wasn't just a heel.