DVDVR Message Board

Random stuff you remember that hardly anybody else does

BrianS81177

52 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

as the last match (Savage v. Flair for the World title was the main event, but was on before intermission - presumably, they wanted to get the fuck out of Spokane as fast as they could) 

I think that was a typical thing for WWF house shows back then. They'd run the main and then a "special extra match". It could have to do with getting the guys back on the road and to the next location ASAP though.

13 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I think that was a typical thing for WWF house shows back then. They'd run the main and then a "special extra match". It could have to do with getting the guys back on the road and to the next location ASAP though.

Ohyeah, no, I understood that.  Confusing when you're 13 years old, less so now.  

Personally, as a worker, I preferred being on *first*.  Not because of laziness but because it's actually an honor to be the ones to set the tone for the show and get things off on the right foot.  Quick story: in my later days in DOA, I was managing ECCW's Scotty Mac against Ravenous Randy.  We were scheduled as the semi-main, but a number of workers were unable to get to the show by belltime due to heavy traffic, and we were asked very nicely if we could go on first.  The promoter on record was actually worried we'd be insulted.  No fucking way.  We went out there, did our thing and had a blast.  (We lost, of course, because that's what good heels do.)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jerome Miller said:

How is Shawn Michaels, in his "Selfish Backstage Prima Donna Prick" phase, winning the tag titles, a good thing?

Not so much Michaels winning another belt as the fact the match was really, really good, as was the following Michaels-Austin match (before the dumb finish)

• Like 2

Does anybody else remember the gauntlet WCW ran for a few months during fall 1990? The deal was that a wrestler had to win matches on all three consecutive weekend shows (NWA Pro, Saturday Night, Sunday Main Event) to win the cash prize of $10,000. The main guy I remember successfully completing it was Scott Steiner. I specifically remember this match being part of it although skimming through it the announcer doesn't make any mention of it. I know they often taped things before pulling angles out of their ass to spice up things so this may have very well been one of those deals but I definitely remember being shocked not only that Steiner went over Flair but that he got put down by a single clothesline from the Dogfaced Gremlin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Berserker impaling his sword in the ring while trying to kill off The Undertaker is up there with Roberts sic'ing Lucifer on Savage.

Lucifer was Damien's big brother after Damien was made into Quakeburgers. The cobras never had any names. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Ultimate Warrior suffocating in the casket was another thing that scared me lol.

That's still one of my favorite early childhood memories of wrestling, along with Roddy Piper on crutches getting nuked by Ted DiBiase which I think was the first time I remember watching wrestling period.

I think Warrior being locked in the casket was the moment I realized my purpose in life was to be a funeral director and help grieving families. I was kind of a strange kid.

How about the short lived team of Bad News Brown and the Brooklyn Brawler in 1989? First, they beat the Blue Blazer and Hillbilly Jim. Let that sink in, Owen Hart teaming with Hillbilly Jim. The next week, they lose to the Bushwhackers. Bad News turns on the Brawler after the match, and beats him the following week.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Tim Evans said:

All this talk about random tag teams reminds me of the Great Hacksaw Jim Duggan/Super crazy tag team from I think 2008 on Sunday Night Heat.  They might have had a Raw match that I don't remember. Speaking of Heat, when it became internet exclusive just before it got cancelled, it had some random matches. Like Rob Conway's feud with WWE legends and having matches with guys like Greg Valentine and Koko B Ware.

Speaking of random tag teams, I remember Eddy and Cobra (that guy who would go on to be the fake Sting in Japan) teaming up and beating two jobbers.

Scott or Steve Armstrong wrestling as Lance Cassidy or something like that and beating jobbers regularly on Superstars/Challenge before vanishing.

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

That's still one of my favorite early childhood memories of wrestling, along with Roddy Piper on crutches getting nuked by Ted DiBiase which I think was the first time I remember watching wrestling period.

The Savage snakebite was that for me, especially with that big red "CENSORED" X the WWF used on syndicated shows.  I remember Superstars going off the air with Vince saying it was chaos, and just staring at the TV for a while.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Michael Sweetser said:

The Savage snakebite was that for me, especially with that big red "CENSORED" X the WWF used on syndicated shows.  I remember Superstars going off the air with Vince saying it was chaos, and just staring at the TV for a while.

I love the big red Censored X being used when Ron Bass attacked Beefcake with the spurs. That red X across the screen made 7 year old me think that was the most vicious thing ever. 

• Like 4

Bull Buchanon slamming a car door on John Cena after he got sick of being B Squared. Bull Buchanon, Tomko, Manu, Ricky Ortiz and Jackson Andrews were so forgettable in WWE. Ortiz could walk by a hundred Raw fans on the street and no one would recognize him.