DVDVR Message Board

Random stuff you remember that hardly anybody else does

BrianS81177

7 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Did one of the Headbangers actually wrestle as Beaver Cleavage?  All I remember about that angle was him breaking character during one of the promos and saying he couldn't do it anymore.  That was one of the earliest on air kayfabe breakings I can remember.

Mosh was Beaver Cleavage. There was a rumor Thrasher was going to be repackaged as an evil clown and paired with the Insane Clown Posse.

How about Terry Taylor returning to the WWF in late 92 as Terrific Terry Taylor? No mention was ever made of Taylor being the Red Rooster. IIRC, he jobbed to Randy Savage on an episode of All American Wrestling. He was also in the 1993 Royal Rumble.  

Im sure there are some other examples of it, but ignomious exits?

I remember Justin Hawk Bradshaw beating down Hakushi and branding him, and then a quick mention on Superstars about him quitting out of shame and going back to Japan.

WCW buried the shit out of the Honky Tonk Man after he got fired (refused to put Alex Wright or Johnny B Badd over I think?).

56 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Im sure there are some other examples of it, but ignomious exits?

I remember Justin Hawk Bradshaw beating down Hakushi and branding him, and then a quick mention on Superstars about him quitting out of shame and going back to Japan.

WCW buried the shit out of the Honky Tonk Man after he got fired (refused to put Alex Wright or Johnny B Badd over I think?).

I remember WCW buried the shit out of Vader when he left. 

All this talk about random tag teams reminds me of the Great Hacksaw Jim Duggan/Super crazy tag team from I think 2008 on Sunday Night Heat.  They might have had a Raw match that I don't remember. Speaking of Heat, when it became internet exclusive just before it got cancelled, it had some random matches. Like Rob Conway's feud with WWE legends and having matches with guys like Greg Valentine and Koko B Ware.

• Like 1

Speaking of that era, I remember being so HYPED to see Sting/Bulldog vs. Vader/Sid at Beach Blast but then circumstances and I never ended up seeing the event and to this day even though it's up on the network I still haven't seen the event. It was the commercial..  Sting, Bulldog, Sid, Vader, and the Colonel all meeting up on the beach that had a young me wanting to see them clash well on the beach. I think I was expecting them to be fighting in sand and water.

So whenever someone says "ugh these kids and Cena" I'm reminded of how much I felt I needed to see Sting/Bulldog/Sid/Vader battle it out on the beach.

The deadpan delivery of the absurd PMS storyline had me laughing out loud by point no.2.

I suspect Chaz had just signed a lengthy contract and someone wanted him gone. Russo outdid himself with the humiliating gimmick on this one. Russo can embarrass a midcarder like some kind of genius savant playing chess. His gift for humiliation by gimmick should be analyzed by the top scientists in the country.

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

1. They made Stasiak buy their tampons at a store.

2. Someone spiked Stasiak's drink so he wrestled with a boner.

The deadpan delivery of the absurd PMS storyline had me laughing out loud by point no.2.

I suspect Chaz had just signed a lengthy contract and someone wanted him gone. Russo outdid himself with the humiliating gimmick on this one. Russo can embarrass a midcarder like some kind of genius savant playing chess. His gift for humiliation by gimmick should be analyzed by the top scientists in the country.

14 hours ago, odessasteps said:

1. They made Stasiak buy their tampons at a store.

2. Someone spiked Stasiak's drink so he wrestled with a boner.

IIRC, Stasiak lost the subsequent match b/c he got hit in his boner. I wanna say he was wrestling Bossman who hit him in the crotch with a nightstick which Stasiak sold as death.

12 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Honky came into WCW in 1994 and feuded with Badd over the TV title and was set to face Badd at Starrcade '94.  Apparently Honky was working on a per-appearance deal and wanted a full-time deal before he'd work the show (Honky says he was promised he wouldn't lose on TV until he had a full deal).  He and Bischoff had words at the show, it went nowhere, Honky went home and they replaced him with Arn Anderson, who lost to Badd at Starrcade but won the TV title from him shortly after (in January, as was usual for Arn's TV title wins).

2 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Honky came into WCW in 1994 and feuded with Badd over the TV title and was set to face Badd at Starrcade '94.  Apparently Honky was working on a per-appearance deal and wanted a full-time deal before he'd work the show (Honky says he was promised he wouldn't lose on TV until he had a full deal).  He and Bischoff had words at the show, it went nowhere, Honky went home and they replaced him with Arn Anderson, who lost to Badd at Starrcade but won the TV title from him shortly after (in January, as was usual for Arn's TV title wins).

I remember Bischoff said that Honky was his favorite firing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

I remember Bischoff said that Honky was his favorite firing.

I remember that too - Bischoff said he only hired Honky as a favor to Jimmy Hart.  As I read somewhere else, you know Bischoff had to not like you when he had second thoughts about bringing in an ex-WWF guy in the Hogan wave of 1994.

Berserker really didn't job that much other than to the upper guys, come to think of it.  

That shot of the sword sticking out of the ring as Superstars ended was pretty memorable.

My first house show ever in June 1992 in Spokane featured Berserker vs. Undertaker as the last match (Savage v. Flair for the World title was the main event, but was on before intermission - presumably, they wanted to get the fuck out of Spokane as fast as they could)  Three piledrivers from Berserker with situps after each one, then a Tombstone by Undertaker for the win.  After the match, Mr. Fuji ate a Tombstone as well.

You can pick almost any match from 91-92 with him  (I always point to the Valentine one but that may not be online) and he's going to be bumping like a maniac with pretty much the best offense in the entire roster. He's a far, far better Brody than Brody in that run. 

This is a pretty good example though. You can see immediately from the opening exchange what he brought to the table.:

• Like 1