DVDVR Message Board

Random stuff you remember that hardly anybody else does

BrianS81177

Headhunters were in 1996 Rumble, then came back for a one shot in the summer of 1997.  They tried to attack Bulldog & Owen & The Headbangers only for Bulldog to slam one of them with ease.  The other almost fell off the top rope moments later.

Speaking of which...Vic Grimes' infamous WWF run that was over just as it started.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

Headhunters were in 1996 Rumble, then came back for a one shot in the summer of 1997.  They tried to attack Bulldog & Owen & The Headbangers only for Bulldog to slam one of them with ease.  The other almost fell off the top rope moments later.

Speaking of which...Vic Grimes' infamous WWF run that was over just as it started.

Even during the Attitude Era, I don't see how anyone expected a drug dealer character called Key to end up anywhere other than the awful, quickly forgotten gimmick category. 

58 minutes ago, paul sosnowski said:

Wow, I definitely don't remember this guy at all...  (Tyson Kidd's bodyguard)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_Andrews

Oh shit, he's also the guy who beat up Rosa Mendes.... Slocum was engaged to fellow wrestler Milena Roucka in 2012. On August 5, 2012, Roucka filed battery charges against Slocum with the San Antonio Police Department, over an earlier incident at their Las Vegashome.[22][23] Roucka stated that she was afraid Slocum would kill her, and that abuse was an ongoing problem.[22] Police photographed scratches and bruises on her body.[22] It was then revealed that Slocum was also engaged to another woman, Amber Stoval, who he had been dating for 4 years prior.[24]

IIRC they wrote the guy off TV by having Mark Henry absolutely decimate him. 

WWF brought in Spellbinder from USWA and called him Phantasmo? Phantasio? He appeared on one episode of Superstars.  I told my Dad about it and when he never showed up on WWF tv again my Dad was sure I made it up.

Those WCW all nighters were great.  They were my first exposure to lots of great matches I'd missed as a young fan.  Had those on VHS up until a few years ago when I finally did a tape purge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

90s on TBS,  maybe 1994.. WCW did a show called "All Nighter" or something like that which showed some of WCW's best matches over the last few years but in between the matches it was Heenan and I think Tony, maybe Gene and it was like a sleepover, they were all in pajamas and the interactions between them were hilarious, It was probably on from maybe 11 at night or so to 5 in the morning. Something like that. I was a kid so naturally I passed out, not used to staying up that late but I did have the whole thing recorded.  No idea what happened to the tape though.

I have never heard of this show until today.  But it sure sounded interesting.  Doing a quick Youtube search I found this.  Can't play audio because I'm at work, but seeing the announcers hang around in casual gear and who knows what else is a sight to behold.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

IIRC, the relative rating success of that led to a remewed push for Flair, since they showed the 89 Steamboat stuff and 91 Sting Bash match, amongst others. 

I think Tenay and maybe Hudson or Cruise were also there. 

My absolute favorite all-nighter moment was them throwing to a match, while Cruise was behind a chair in a Vader mask doing the Vader shuffle.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

90s on TBS,  maybe 1994.. WCW did a show called "All Nighter" or something like that which showed some of WCW's best matches over the last few years but in between the matches it was Heenan and I think Tony, maybe Gene and it was like a sleepover, they were all in pajamas and the interactions between them were hilarious, It was probably on from maybe 11 at night or so to 5 in the morning. Something like that. I was a kid so naturally I passed out, not used to staying up that late but I did have the whole thing recorded.  No idea what happened to the tape though.

I have this one tape too somewhere. You know they all had to be drinking. I would love it if the WWE put that up on the Network. I think my tape is broke somewhere in the 3/4th's position. Best part is them all reliving The Mulkey's win on Saturday Night.

On an episode of Action Zone, probably in 95 or 96, Michael Hayes said something I couldn't believe made air on a taped show pre-Attitude Era. He and Todd Pettingill were talking about tattoos, and Todd goes "Do you have any tattoos?" And Hayes goes "Yeah, I've got a tattoo! Sometimes it says WWF and sometimes it says World Wre-" and Todd cuts him off and goes to break.

• Like 3

The WCW all-nighters were great. IIRC, they were always on a Friday night, so it was great trying to stay up to watch the whole thing. I don't think I ever made it through one. Years later, Key would take care of that problem for me, but create a world of new problems. 

• Like 1

WCW Worldwide / Pro and All Nighters was the only way I could watch NWA back in the day. I didn't have cable until the mid 90s, but every now and then I'd be able to find some late night NWA action. I remember that being the first time I ever saw Flair vs Steamboat'so Chi-Town Rumble 

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yup. Key=Kilo. white suit= white powder. It wasn't exactly subtle.

I hate to admit it, but I didn't get the drug reference at the time.  Not even a little.  And I was nearly 30 when the Attitude Era rolled around, so I can't even blame being young and naive.

Years later, after I had acquired WWF/E TV and put them on DVD, I rewatched the Key appearances and went "Holy Crap!  He's their drug dealer.  It's sooooo obvious.  How did I not get that the first time?"

This thread made me wonder if I could name every gimmick Mike Shaw ever had.  Sadly, I can.  Trucker Norm.  What were they thinking?

Speaking of Mike Shaw, remember when the Varsity Club broke up and they repacked "Captain" Mike Rotunda as a yacht captain?  Complete with blue blazer and white cap?  Lol.  Lol lol lol lol.  That was unmemorable. 

40 minutes ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

This thread made me wonder if I could name every gimmick Mike Shaw ever had.  Sadly, I can.  Trucker Norm.  What were they thinking?

Speaking of Mike Shaw, remember when the Varsity Club broke up and they repacked "Captain" Mike Rotunda as a yacht captain?  Complete with blue blazer and white cap?  Lol.  Lol lol lol lol.  That was unmemorable. 

WCW's roster was so depleted in the spring of 1990 due to injuries and guys leaving that Norman and Mike Rotunda were for a couple months the #2 and #3 singles babyfaces on the roster (Luger being #1).

Dennis Knight doing a heel chef gimmick on Florida indies feuding with Headbanger Mosh. I think this was around 2002. The promotion used to air on Sunshine Network.

Speaking of Sunshine Network, I remember when they used to run a late Friday night wrestling block of MLW and WEW. You had Joey Styles doing commentary in a Hawaiian shirt on Nosawa and Vampiro matches. WEW had such gems like GI Ho and Tai Killer Weed. GI Ho once teamed with Norman Smiley vs Francine and Michael Shane, HBK's nephew.

• Like 1