DVDVR Message Board

RAW 9/5 is The Kevin Owens Show!

Dolfan in NYC

I don't know if I should comment about them giving away a future PPV main event on a meaningless Raw.  But then I remember it's not 2002 any more and I shouldn't care. 

(That being said, still the same great match between these two.) 

The Club segment with The Old Day... Oh dear god, let's just pretend that never happened. 

And hooray for fake retirements... I only forgive it because it's Sasha. 

I loved the opening segment. I thought Owens was PERFECT shutting down the "you deserve it chants" and everything. Perfect heel shit from him.  Seth Rollins as a face is a good thing.  Jericho was on fire. "The longest reigning WWE Universal champion of all time.. "  :lol:

The rest of the show dragged for me.  I did enjoy the Sasha Mark Henry fake retirement speech. She sold it very well. I was fooled. She showed great emotion.   I didn't get anything out of the rest of the show.  I hated the New Day segment.  Way too long.

Way to really make Kevin Owens look strong, guys.  Make his first RAW as champion the most pointless one-thing-that-leads-nowhere-after-another show I can remember in, like, my entire life.

I was so bored during this show I tried to find another episode of RAW that might have matched it for sheer pointlessness.  This is the best I could come up with:

November 8, 1993 Monday Night RAW results
 Fernwood Resort in Bushkill, Pennsylvania.

- Ludvig Borga and Scott Steiner fought to a Double disqualification.
 - Men on a Mission defeated Corey Student and Steve Smyth.
 - Rick Martel defeated John Paul.
 - Crush and Dan Dubiel fought to a no-contest.
 - Bob Backlund and Barry Horowitz fought to a no-contest.

Now imagine that went on for another full hour and add horrible comedy segments and a maudlin fake retirement that tried to milk all the worst chant-tendencies from today's crowds and couldn't even do that pulled off with no style or flair by someone I used to think had style and flair...and then add a crowd who literally hated everyone an everything in front of them and make every single match the same one-person-is-injured-and-can't-keep-up thing...and you've got tonight.

WCW can't come along soon enough.

• Like 5

That Old Day shit was the worst thing that I've seen on WWE television in awhile. Yeah, let's have two dudes who are bad at comedy recite the words of awful comedy writers. Not even Big E trying to check if the guy impersonating him was actually his gout-ridden granddad was enough to save that skit, even if it did crack me up. 

The only interesting thing about all the executive intrigue is that Stephanie is being blamed for her husband's actions as if she should somehow be responsible for everything she does and everything HHH does as well. 

Color me surprised that Rollins and Jericho of all people had a nice little match against one another.

I don't know what it says about Reigns that I did not notice at all that he wasn't really mentioned on the show until he showed up at the end, and I actually like the guy. 

Really wish they committed to keeping Zayn and Owens apart for much, much longer. Zayn really should be on Smackdown. 

I liked Mick showing he can still cut a promo when he isn't doing an overly scripted corporate back and forth. Not saying his part wasn't scripted but it came across more like 'him' then something someone else wrote.

I also continue to think Jericho is great. So those were my positives from the show. I didn't buy the Sasha Banks "retirement" and I don't think the crowd did either.

Just now, Mike Zeidler said:

I want Stephanie to punish Sasha for wasting such a prime slot with a fake retirement angle.  Maybe have another wrestler upset they weren't on the show because Sasha took their time.

At some point today, Vince decided that segment was so hot he would build the entire show around it.

We got the post-draft debuts of Sin Cara and Bo Dallas (in a squash match none the less!), and non-squash Braun match. On the plus side we got to see the return of Crazy Foxy. The rest.....eh. The Club segments are getting really, really painful to watch. No Rusev or Neville this week, and we almost made it through a whole episode without Roman.

The Sasha stuff was easy to see coming from a mile away. 

Owens kinda shut down the audience, but he still got a few cheers because people were like, "See, that sort of heeling is why Owens deserves it!"

Charlotte and Bayley had a really good match, but maybe they should have saved it for CoC. 

Bayley and Charlotte had a very good TV match. They worked smart and didn't give anything away that they can use for a big PPV encounter.

The rest of the show was just fucking awful. It's fine, though, it's not like they have some big competition starting next week or anything. Nope.

Just now, The Green Meanie said:

We got the post-draft debuts of Sin Cara and Bo Dallas (in a squash match none the less!), and non-squash Braun match. On the plus side we got to see the return of Crazy Foxy. The rest.....eh. The Club segments are getting really, really painful to watch. No Rusev or Neville this week, and we almost made it through a whole episode without Roman.

The return of crazy Fox is also the return of women's angles based on "You're a loser reality show not a wrestler." 'You're just jealous."  And that was soooooo fun the first nineteen or so times.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

You could see a split second where Alicia dropped character after that, so I'm guessing the face hit was unintentional.

Guys, you need to adapt your fantasies to accept that life with Alicia Fox involves a lot of your face bleeding followed by "OH MY GOOD BOO I"M SO SORRY"

It also involves a 50% of you getting in a fight every goddamn time you are in line for ice cream or movie tickets or anything.

Let the dream die.

• Like 1

Being squashed by Sheamus is the best WWE can come up with for Cesaro? Sad, sad, sad.

I can picture Vince watching the Old Day segment from the gorilla position laughing hysterically while those around him just stare at him blankly. 

• Like 3

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Being squashed by Sheamus is the best WWE can come up with for Cesaro? Sad, sad, sad.

I'm sure this is building to a big comeback and Cesaro fighting through injury to "do the impossible" and win 4 in a row. But I would argue that spending a month fighting Sheamus and only coming out of it 4-3 doesn't help him one bit either.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, piranesi said:

I'm sure this is building to a big comeback and Cesaro fighting through injury to "do the impossible" and win 4 in a row. But I would argue that spending a month fighting Sheamus and only coming out of it 4-3 doesn't help him one bit either.

He and Sami were probably the two guys that needed to be on Smackdown more than anyone. They feel really lost in the shuffle on Raw. 

I'm guessing next week's Reigns/Owens match ends in interference from HHH which starts a permanent feedback loop of: HHH pedigrees Roman, Owens wins match, next week Roman walks out and says nothing and Foley books a rematch with Owens, HHH pedigree, rinse repeat until Foley realizes he isn't in some kind of Groundhog day living nightmare, it's just all the concussions.

I doubt that anyone backstage was trying to send Dana a message with the Miss Piggy taunt, which means Sasha probably ad-libbed it. Yeesh.

And why are they tempting fate with fake retirement speeches after Bryan had to do a tease and an actual one within nearly a year of each other? 

• Like 1