DVDVR Message Board

RAW 9/5 is The Kevin Owens Show!

Dolfan in NYC

I think Sasha works better as a face right now. Normally the blue-chipper "just happy to be here" gimmick is shitty, but it's so true-to-life for her that it actually works this time. In NXT, she always undermined her own heel character when she got sucked in by the emotional gravity of her work. She clearly wears her heart on her sleeve, so she's better off working as an extension of herself, even if her real self is a cliche babyface trope right now. There will probably be a time somewhere down the road where she can pull off an organic heel run, but it's not until she wins a big Mania match and/or has ppv main as a face most likely. Most crowds cheered for her when she was a heel anyway, so why fight it?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

The issue Sasha's "happy to be here" gimmick has is there's a certain hugger who can and does that same gimmick with much better results.

That tension was what made their rivalry in NXT so captivating. Sasha was initially just happy to be there, and got nowhere. The Boss was always a construct, kayfabe even in kayfabe, but it's one that she grew into, until it became her truth. Bayley made it without that compromise, such as it was, and so Sasha resented her for it. (I feel like Graves and Saxton did a really good job summarizing this during their Brooklyn match.)

I think you could do an updated version of that on the main roster. It's not a drastic leap from "happy to be here" to "I deserve to be here" to "I made this scene what it is, and it belongs to me". So, put me down on team "she'll be better off as a heel". If some segment of the crowd cheers her regardless, that doesn't bother me. I'd prefer to watch the best performances possible. 

You can have two strong faces at the same time. Just because Bayley's around doesn't mean that it's automatically better to force the square peg in the round hole when it comes to Sasha. Like I said, there will be a time and place for an organic turn, but it ain't now.

• Like 3

You can certainly have two faces, but I don't think you can have two faces with similar approaches when one is nearly flawless at said gimmick.

But I'll acknowledge not knowing much about Sasha's turn into The Boss.  I watch Takeovers, but rarely weekly NXT.  So the nuances of the Sasha/Bayley saga doesn't completely resonate with me. 

And for the record, Rachety Ann and Abby Cadabby were much better quips than Miss Piggy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

You can certainly have two faces, but I don't think you can have two faces with similar approaches when one is nearly flawless at said gimmick.

Isn't that kind of for the crowds to determine, though? I'd agree if Sasha's reactions start dropping off, but if they both maintain strong face reactions, it doesn't really matter that they have the same gimmick.

1 hour ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

But I'll acknowledge not knowing much about Sasha's turn into The Boss.  I watch Takeovers, but rarely weekly NXT.  So the nuances of the Sasha/Bayley saga doesn't completely resonate with me. 

And for the record, Rachety Ann and Abby Cadabby were much better quips than Miss Piggy.

One of the main things that led to Sasha's turn in NXT was Summer Rae getting in her ear.  Summer kept saying how the "happy to be here" approach got Sasha nowhere and that she needs to take control.  After enough convincing Sasha was able to go heel and embrace that Boss aspect of her.  But she was at the time a lovable loser and it made sense.  That was pretty much the narrative on the regular shows.

As for her going heel now, I don't think it's that time yet.  I feel that Nia being built up is partly so they do Nia/Bayley and do the rubber match.  After that then they can transition that to Bayley/Sasha if they want.

• Like 1

The problem with turning Sasha heel is Charlotte is a terrible babyface that tanked at it on the MR. So the sides become very unbalanced. I do think that we'll eventually get the turn and a tremendous Sasha/Bayley program(if they can get Charlotte out of the main events long enough). Sasha's run of Takeover matches working as a heel was just so great they have to let her work heel again at some point.

• Like 1

Dude, anyone who says Sasha was terrible last night I dont know what they were watching. She sold that shit perfectly, I thought she was going to cry multiple times. I do agree that she's s better heel but she's one of the most over babyfaces on the roster and isn't that what WWE has struggled with recently? Getting the crowd behind their babyfaces?

MR = Main Roster, right?  In my line of work, it means something else, and bahahaha, lemme tell you, reading that post as "Bayley's mentally retarded run" is the point you hit when you just wanna make sure. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChrisM said:

Aside from the clumsy execution of the "Old Day" thing, I liked the show. And I laughed my ass off when Sasha called Dana "Miss Piggy". Sue me. 

It's sentiments like that, that some on here could then use to accuse you of hating women.  Happened to me once.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, nate said:

It's sentiments like that, that some on here could then use to accuse you of hating women.  Happened to me once.

I know I don't hate women, so I don't care what some social justice warrior neckbeard thinks about me. 

• Like 2

If I ran a territory, the SJW neckbeard faction would have a vicious feud with the Pepe meme neckbeard faction.  They'd have names like 'Woke Cis' and 'The Ally Boys' against people like  'Milo Yabbadabbadoopolis' and 'I don't care what some social justice warrior neckbeard thinks about me'. The winners would be everyone who didn't watch, just like how it is on Twitter.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, bink_winkleman said:

If I ran a territory, the SJW neckbeard faction would have a vicious feud with the Pepe meme neckbeard faction.  They'd have names like 'Woke Cis' and 'The Ally Boys' against people like  'Milo Yabbadabbadoopolis' and 'I don't care what some social justice warrior neckbeard thinks about me'. The winners would be everyone who didn't watch, just like how it is on Twitter.

Social Justice Neckbeards sounds suspiciously like the name of one of those college alternative bands that I wouldn't have listened to even when I was in college.

I really don't want to be Nick Negative here, because I've really liked what they've done lately and their recent updates to the network and all. But two things bothered me about this Raw. 

First was the Miss Piggy thing, which has been done to fucking earth, I get it. She can't go Miss Piggy on the non-traditional "Diva" after THAT promo. 

And you finally have a compelling one on one feud at the top of the card, with two great wrestlers that can talk and carry the shit themselves. So here's an idea, let's add HHH, Stephanie, Cactus Jack and Roman fucking Reigns to the program to muck it up. You've got your two most-over guys. They're fighting for a reason. Why inject all these other assholes into it?

9 minutes ago, Mick32 said:

And you finally have a compelling one on one feud at the top of the card, with two great wrestlers that can talk and carry the shit themselves. So here's an idea, let's add HHH, Stephanie, Cactus Jack and Roman fucking Reigns to the program to muck it up. You've got your two most-over guys. They're fighting for a reason. Why inject all these other assholes into it?

because WWE?