DVDVR Message Board

2016 NFL: WEEK ONE

Dolfan in NYC

7 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

If JJ takes a knee during the national anthem on Sunday, do we start acknowledging the underlying problem or is Watt suddenly a traitor?

If Paul Finebaum is getting the "you shouldn't back down" tweets, JJ Watt may have to leave the planet for about a month. 

The last hit on Cam was the biggest bunch of bullshit. Dude left his feet and lead with his helmet.

Between that and the non-call on Torii Hunter Jr. last Sunday, did refs just decide to stop calling obvious headhunting?

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

The last hit on Cam was the biggest bunch of bullshit. Dude left his feet and lead with his helmet.

Between that and the non-call on Torii Hunter Jr. last Sunday, did refs just decide to stop calling obvious headhunting?

Funny how Cris Collinsworth was talking about the helmet technology around the time Brandon Marshall went out of the game for a little bit. Where the fuck is the non-ref cam game official technology? I think that would help the safety issue on the other end.

If the ghost of Peyton Manning or Sir Tom had been playing for Carolina there would have been 8 million flags and possibly an ejection or two.

Is it worth taking a few penalties (if they're called) to get your opponent's QB taken out of the game due to the concussion protocol?

• Like 3

Man, I don't wanna go full LeBatard... but, it's really hard to watch stuff like that and not feel bad about myself for continuing to watch.

EDIT: And yet, I'm sure I'll watch on Sunday. So, add hypocrisy to things my conscience will nag me about.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Vincey Greene said:

Maybe if my team headhunted all game and never got called for it, we would have won by now. Or innovated cut blocking. Fuck Denver. Three doesn't put you on the level of the Pats, Steelers or Niners last I checked.

I thought the 49ers innovated cut blocking back in the 80s with Bob McKittrick?

If the "concussion spotters" did their jobs and stopped the game to have a star player pulled (with the game on the line) for evaluation, it would be a disaster.  One, because fans would be pissed and two, because it would call even more attention to how dangerous the game is.  So somehow they've gotten the message loud and clear that they shouldn't do their jobs.  I wonder how that happens.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

If the "concussion spotters" did their jobs and stopped the game to have a star player pulled (with the game on the line) for evaluation, it would be a disaster.  One, because fans would be pissed and two, because it would call even more attention to how dangerous the game is.  So somehow they've gotten the message loud and clear that they shouldn't do their jobs.  I wonder how that happens.

The other issue is the level of scrutiny they would be under to do an impossible job fairly, the potential exploitation of the system at opportune times. I know there is an unspoken code or whatever about not trying to injure guys (hahahahah) but you can't convince me that players would not use helmet to helmet contact to remove star players from the game in high leverage situations. Implementing a system like this would run the risk of incentivizing more dangerous play. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JRGoldman said:

The other issue is the level of scrutiny they would be under to do an impossible job fairly, the potential exploitation of the system at opportune times. I know there is an unspoken code or whatever about not trying to injure guys (hahahahah) but you can't convince me that players would not use helmet to helmet contact to remove star players from the game in high leverage situations. Implementing a system like this would run the risk of incentivizing more dangerous play. 

True.  So crack down even harder.  Multi-game suspensions for anyone that injures a guy with an illegal hit, even if the hit wasn't called as such on-field.  There would be some growing pains and the game would be an absolute mess for a while, but it might work -- if the NFL really gave a shit.  The NFLPA already gave Goodell carte blanche to issue any kind of suspension he feels is right, so it's not like this kind of enforcement wouldn't be possible.

The truth is the NFL wants to pay lip service by putting money into research for safer helmets (which is laughable) and "heads-up tackling" programs in youth ball (also a joke) to give the illusion of action.  They just won't take any real steps to fix the problem if there's a chance those steps may turn off some fans.

2 hours ago, steve said:

Man, I don't wanna go full LeBatard... but, it's really hard to watch stuff like that and not feel bad about myself for continuing to watch.

EDIT: And yet, I'm sure I'll watch on Sunday. So, add hypocrisy to things my conscience will nag me about.

For whatever it's worth, I made the jump to "no football" last year, and it might literally be one of the 10 best decisions I've made in my life, and I highly recommend it to anyone that is having moral problems with this sport.

DirecTV just gave me free Sunday Ticket so I get to see every Bengals game in a season for the first time in my life #WhoDey #pleasewinagoddamnedplayoffgamethisseason

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El Dragon said:

For whatever it's worth, I made the jump to "no football" last year, and it might literally be one of the 10 best decisions I've made in my life, and I highly recommend it to anyone that is having moral problems with this sport.

I don't have a moral problem with the sport.  I just cannot stand the announcers telling me how I should feel instead of discussing the game.

When the new helmets were being tested one of the defensive guys asked if this meant he could hit guys harder.  You just shake your head at that level of stupidity.  Five minutes later you realize the only way they fix this is go the other way and take all the padding away.  Force players to get back to fundamentals.

As someone who now sells and has always been interested in cars, I find it interesting how much the NFL reminds me of the American car companies circa 1970. Instead of going through the growing pains of trying to make the game safer/taking less profits on smaller, more fuel efficient cars, they're going full speed ahead with the status quo so as not to disturb the current financial gains, even though there are clear storm clouds (smaller more efficient Japanese/European cars gaining a foothold/people increasingly being hesitant to let their kids play). Just a weird thing I kind of noticed. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Craig H said:

Conversely, the Golden Gophers had three defensive players ejected for targeting last week against Oregon State.

So some of the officials are seeing something, at least.

23 hours ago, CSC said:

if I learned anything from the game last night, it's that this boing.gif apparently is as bad as hitting an unprotected Quarterback and will get you closer to being kicked out of a game.

Kick him out for being stupid. Dont know what fat ass was trying to do there other than provoke a response