DVDVR Message Board

ANNOUNCING THE BEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME POLL~!

RIPPA

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to try to get into this. I always enjoy reading through the result threads of "the best of..." threads but have never made an effort to compile a list for them. I will this time and have started a preliminary list that's at 126 right now, I'm sure it will grow as i put more thought into it and then it will be time to whittle it down. I know what my top 5 looks like and probably top ten after I know its gonna get trickier and that's where the fun will be to decide what i think of the films I chose.

I really enjoy that there are so many different tastes and perspectives on the board so the lists are usually nicely varied.

• 3 weeks later...

So any updates on this? I thought it'd be kinda cool to even have a subforum to talk about individual films like PWO did with wrestlers for the GWE project.  I'm starting to really type out arguments for films and will share if we have pimping threads.

• 2 weeks later...

I created a sub forum for all of this.

I am leaving this thread here as - in theory - to get more eyeballs on the project

But I think it is going to require lots of shaming of other board memembers

• 1 month later...

Shit... this goes down in a month.  I am nowhere near ready.  I am still getting my Best of 2010-2016 ballot together.

I may do this like Curt.  Take a sick day, drink beer, put a list together.

WITHOUT THE AID OF IMDB~!!!

Their list is shit.  How the fuck did Ikuru not crack the Top 10?

I am no movie snob but I know that Citizen Kane should be ranked far above Return of the fucking Jedi.

My list is bound to have My Favorite Year in there somewhere.

I was talking about your Flickchart rating based on your rankings - not their list.

Like how your submitted your IMDB list based on your ratings.

Like if I did my ballot via Flickchart - my Top 20 would be

The Empire Strikes Back
The Shawshank Redemption
Ocean's Eleven
Die Hard
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Back to the Future
Jerry Maguire
Scrooged
Groundhog Day
Bad Boys
Star Wars
Return of the Jedi
Clerks.
The Princess Bride
Shrek
Stand by Me
Lethal Weapon
A League of Their Own
Little Giants

Boy - I was really nostalgic when I ranked Stand By Me

This is hard, the bottom of the list is the hardest part, I'm pretty happy with my top 85 or so, the order still needs to shake out for them. But the last 15ish are so hard to decide what gets in and what gets left out.

I will announce it clearer once I 100% figure it out myself but remember there are "Honorable Mention" spots too.

I mean you will still agonize over what to leave out but yeah

I'm gonna love when me & Rippa carry Little Giants to a ridiculously high spot in the final results. 

It's fun looking through my Flickchart at just the amount of movies on there that I have zero memory of actually seeing (including Batman: The Movie somehow being my #1 even though I'm almost positive I've never ranked it and haven't seen it since I was a kid).

On 08 December 2016 at 2:00 PM, RIPPA said:

I will announce it clearer once I 100% figure it out myself but remember there are "Honorable Mention" spots too.

I mean you will still agonize over what to leave out but yeah

Please let us know when you do.

My ballot update: Coming up with a 100 from 137 was a challenge. Content with the top ten I did a while ago. Ranking the films is also a challenge. My ballot is a mix of best vs. favourite, if I had to watch a film, which would I choose and some films getting bonus marks for historical significance.

I’m interested in seeing the countdown and where movie genres I have interest in (comic book, horror and animation) wind up. I’m also curious to see how people handle trilogies, do you vote for all three or just the one to represent it and free up ballot spaces? Right now I have a number of complete trilogies on it.

EDIT: Opened up a document with my film reviews. Glad I did as I missed an absolute lock for this and some films for considerations.

• RIPPA unpinned this topic