DVDVR Message Board

UFC 203: Miočić vs. Overeem (9/10/2016) - Cleveland, OH (Quicken Loans Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

1 minute ago, Hail Sabin said:

Overeem should have claimed verbal submission then videotape wouldn't make you look like a dumbass.

To be fair, he was just knocked out only five or six minutes prior. Maybe he dreamt that?

Just now, Niners Fan in CT said:

Joe throwing some real shade at Punk now.  Come on. He had Punk in the octagon and could have said these same things to his face, this is kinda weak.

This is nothing new. Joe has said all of these things. Many times in fact. Punk has heard all of this, so what does busting him out in the post-fight interview do? That's just dumb.

3 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Joe throwing some real shade at Punk now.  Come on. He had Punk in the octagon and could have said these same things to his face, this is kinda weak.

Well Rogan's job isn't really to give advice in the cage. The production people give him a cue and he asks the loser two or three questions, tells them he hopes to see them in the Octagon again, and gets the fuck outta there. That's like every PPV. 

• Like 2

Just now, Craig H said:

This is nothing new. Joe has said all of these things. Many times in fact. Punk has heard all of this, so what does busting him out in the post-fight interview do? That's just dumb.

then what point does it serve to reiterate them now?  Felt weak to me. It didn't really need any further analysis. We all saw what happened and it's not really solely up to Punk, it's up to Dana if he wants to send Punk back out there.

If Punk doesn't care about who thinks about him, why should anyone care about him? If a tree falls in the woods does anyone hear it? If so, why should anyone care aside from morbid curiosity?

EDIT: I do realize I'm defeating myself just by posting this. Basically though -- let him go back to whatever he does in his spare time

So as someone who stopped following UFC around the time Frank Shamrock came and went (he and Matt Hughes were my boys)- does anyone these days practice catch wrestling, or is everything essentially BJJ with striking?

I ask, because I would think that even with a pro wrestling background, using a catch wrestling discipline as a base would be more natural for CM Punk as he'd have something to go off of. 

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

then what point does it serve to reiterate them now?  Felt weak to me. It didn't really need any further analysis. We all saw what happened and it's not really solely up to Punk, it's up to Dana if he wants to send Punk back out there.

Except...they provide further analysis after the fights are done. That's what they do. The studio crew do that on the FS1/FS2 post fight shows as well. Pretty sure you're probably going to get a harsher tone on those shows. If Bisping was there instead of Hardy and DC, he would have had a field day.

But yeah, Rogan is pretty much saying the honest truth although TBH no way is Punk going to find good money fighting in a MMA system that's kinda been ultra corrupt in lots of ways. Amateur MMA promotions go out there way to make sure fighters aren't compensated. They get tickets to sell and like t-shirts. Legacy and RFA really can't afford him. Bellator would have probably been a better fit because they have short order cooks on deck to fight, but Bellator is Bellator to say the least. Even though the shows with freak show fights do decent ratings (although the numbers in the post Kimbo world ain't been that great), their visibility ain't that big. Plus, Punk is probably getting a cut of the PPV which is why the Gall fight was on PPV from the beginning and not big Fox.

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Except...they provide further analysis after the fights are done. That's what they do. The studio crew do that on the FS1/FS2 post fight shows as well.

No issue there..  but this didn't feel like that. It felt like shots thrown. I'm pretty sure he called Punk "delusional" which is a pretty strong term to be throwing around.  I don't believe Punk is delusional. I think he was well aware of how this would probably play it.

5 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

So as someone who stopped following UFC around the time Frank Shamrock came and went (he and Matt Hughes were my boys)- does anyone these days practice catch wrestling, or is everything essentially BJJ with striking?

I ask, because I would think that even with a pro wrestling background, using a catch wrestling discipline as a base would be more natural for CM Punk as he'd have something to go off of. 

Josh Barnett but I mean it's not like he is going to be hitting suplexes on like top level fighters even at the heavyweight level. Even the Arlovski fight that just happened, he basically boxed and did some slick BJJ at the end with maybe a little catch wrestling thrown in.

At welterweight or middleweight? That's not going to go well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Yeah. Werdum is the one that's a dickhead.

http://data.whicdn.com/images/76308150/large.gif

EDIT: Weird. Mocking the crowd didn't show up the first time through. So I guess my gif is for Edmond being a dick.

They're all dicks. But watching the Embedded episodes leading up to tonight... yeah, Werdum is definitely a dickhead. That barbershop scene made me hate the guy.

To be fair, I didn't see that.

In any event, I'm hoping this raises Stipe's profile a bit. He should be one of the faces of the UFC. He's a good dude, charismatic, he's the champion, has insane KO power, etc.

I find it funny that people are calling Punk's performance embarrassing.  Yes he was destroyed in that fight.  HE HASN'T HAD ONE REAL FIGHT EVER.  You can include the 3000 matches he has had in ROH, IWA-MS, and the WWE and it doesn't equal the 2 real fights that Mickey Gall has had.   My biggest issue is whether Punk is actually serious about MMA fighting after this performance.  If he just gives up and works against guys like Matt Riddle in EVOLVE than yeah he is full of shit and deserves to be mocked.  But if he keeps trying then I will give him his respect.

The highlight for me was a bunch of guys at the bar I was watching at going "Who the fuck names themselves CM Punk at 37 years old"  :lol:

If Mickey Gall can beat CM Punk & Sage Northcutt back to back, he may my favorite fighter ever.  

13 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

No issue there..  but this didn't feel like that. It felt like shots thrown. I'm pretty sure he called Punk "delusional" which is a pretty strong term to be throwing around.  I don't believe Punk is delusional. I think he was well aware of how this would probably play it.

Except people were saying this from the beginning though. Gall was someone who was maybe 9 months to a year away from being the UFC. If you pick any person on the WWE roster now who can cut to 170 or 185, they can't beat anyone like that save for maybe those who have legitimate amateur wrestling experience. Even then...it's dicey because they haven't grappled against someone who is legitimately a great submission grappler. To accept a fight with no prior martials arts experience (whether it's BJJ, muay thai, folkstyle wrestling, boxing, judo or TMA) with someone like that is extremely crazy especially at 37 years old. It would be like the guy who lives next door challenging a young kid who is on the USA Boxing team to a professional four rounder. Unless your neighbor is a boxer with good amateur or pro boxing experience, he is going to get fucked up. That's what's going to happen. Everyone knows that. Now if he wanted to fight some scrub on the same level physically, that would be fine. That's basically what Rogan said. I mean it would be putrid to watch, but hey, it's CM Punk. That didn't stop people from watching Kimbo, Dada 5000, Ken Shamrock, and 7 thousand year old Royce Gracie. Batista did it so people would be fine with Punk doing it. Against Gall? Yeah, that went 100% how it was going to go.

• Like 1

As bad as it was with him getting taken down real quick, at least he was defending the fuck out of that choke for as long as he could. It took Gall a good minute or so to get it on so it wasn't at least a quick tap. Also I was impressed that those huge elbows and hammer fists didn't KO him. Either way the fight should have been shorter and he lasted longer then most expected.

Personally when Gall dove I would have kneed him right in the face.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I find it funny that people are calling Punk's performance embarrassing.  Yes he was destroyed in that fight.  HE HASN'T HAD ONE REAL FIGHT EVER.  You can include the 3000 matches he has had in ROH, IWA-MS, and the WWE and it doesn't equal the 2 real fights that Mickey Gall has had.   My biggest issue is whether Punk is actually serious about MMA fighting after this performance.  If he just gives up and works against guys like Matt Riddle in EVOLVE than yeah he is full of shit and deserves to be mocked.  But if he keeps trying then I will give him his respect.

The highlight for me was a bunch of guys at the bar I was watching at going "Who the fuck names themselves CM Punk at 37 years old"  :lol:

If Mickey Gall can beat CM Punk & Sage Northcutt back to back, he may my favorite fighter ever.  

I have no doubt that he took it seriously but have enough respect for the sport to know that it's not for you at this stage of your life.

• Like 2