DVDVR Message Board

UFC 203: Miočić vs. Overeem (9/10/2016) - Cleveland, OH (Quicken Loans Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_203_Miocic_vs._Overeem_Poster.jpg?14

UFC 203: Miočić vs. Overeem 
September 10, 2016
Cleveland, OH (Quicken Loans Arena)

UFC Heavyweight Championship: Stipe Miočić © (246) vs. Alistair Overeem (248.5) (first defense) - Miočić, KO (punches), R1 (4:27)
Fabrício Werdum (239.5) vs. Travis Browne (241) - Werdum, DEC (unanimous)
Phil Brooks (170) vs. Mickey Gall (170.5) - Gall, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (2:14)
Urijah Faber (136) vs. Jimmie Rivera (135.5) - Rivera, DEC (unanimous)
Jéssica Andrade (115.5) vs. Joanne Calderwood (116) - Andrade, SUB (guillotine choke), R1 (4:38)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:
Jessica Eye (135) vs. Bethe Correia (135) - Correia, DEC (split)
Caio Magalhães (185.5) vs. Brad Tavares (186) - Tavares, DEC (split)
Nik Lentz (156) vs. Michael McBride (158)* - Lentz, TKO (punches), R2 (4:17)
Drew Dober (155) vs. Jason Gonzalez (156) - Dober, KO (punches), R1 (1:45)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Yancy Medeiros (171) vs. Sean Spencer (170) - Medeiros, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (0:49)

*Forfeits 20% of the purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: Yancy Medeiros
Performance of the Night: Jéssica Andrade
Fight of the Night: Stipe Miočić vs. Alistair Overeem

Attendance: 18,875
Gate: $2.6 million 
Buyrate: 475,000

Cancelled Bouts:
Fabrício Werdum vs. Ben Rothwell - Injury to Rothwell (Knee)
Erik Koch vs. Drew Dober - Injury to Koch
Nik Lentz vs. Mairbek Taisumov - Taisumov Visa Issues
Damir Hadžović vs. Yusuke Kasuya - Hadžović Visa Issues; Bout Moved to Another Card
Ian McCall vs. Ray Borg - Borg Removed Due to Illness
C.B. Dollaway vs. Francimar Barroso - Injury to Dollaway (Back Strain)

Stipe is hilarious. The joy he got from simply hanging up on people was absurdly childish and I fully support it.

Man, Punk sounds like a guy still talking himself into something. I hope he does well and is healthy after the fight.

Elsalvajeloco, you've got Joanna fighting twice in that fight card. BETHE is making her return against Jessica Eye, which should be a fun, sloppy stand-up fight. 

There are interesting fights throughout that line-up. Rivera/Faber  and Uncle Creepy/Borg are the ones I'm particularly excited for outside of the top 3 headliner fights. Should be a good show. 

7 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Stipe is hilarious. The joy he got from simply hanging up on people was absurdly childish and I fully support it.

Man, Punk sounds like a guy still talking himself into something. I hope he does well and is healthy after the fight.

Elsalvajeloco, you've got Joanna fighting twice in that fight card. BETHE is making her return against Jessica Eye, which should be a fun, sloppy stand-up fight. 

There are interesting fights throughout that line-up. Rivera/Faber  and Uncle Creepy/Borg are the ones I'm particularly excited for outside of the top 3 headliner fights. Should be a good show. 

At first, I thought no way did I have Joanna Champion listed twice on a show that she isn't fighting on.

I made a mistake and wasn't paying attention doing the non-PPV portions because I was making sure the Hadzovic/Kasuya fight was actually off.

• Like 1

Sparring footage from August closes out the video. It's against a schlub by the looks of it, but he looked competent. Huge improvement since the clips shown in the first video. Punk can be proud of how far he's come in the year and a half and Roufusport have done well by him. I agree with Peterien, in that so long as he looks like a fighter, even in a loss, it's mission accomplished. Good for him.

• Like 1

i watched all of the "Evolution of Punk" episodes, and, while CM Punk has come miles in his training, it has really made me think that he is losing this fight. i know that's opposite of what these things are made for, but to me it just didn't look like he was ready for this.

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

So according to video the "open mat workout" with CM Punk turned into a 2 minute photo/autograph opportunity.  Hopefully he actually did do something off camera because if not it sure seems suspicious.

Unless it's like Ronda Rousey or a select few people, open workouts aren't exactly going to be the best demonstrations. Most of the time, it's people fucking around for like 5-10 minutes on pads or rolling and then taking pictures and doing a scrum. I am not expecting a lot out of Punk, but MMA open workouts are mere photo/interview ops anyway. 

Before I forget, Ian McCall's fight with Ray Borg has been called off due to Borg becoming ill. 

For reference, Ian McCall hasn't fought since UFC 183 against John Lineker, which itself was a makeup of a fight that was cancelled two months earlier.

Clarence Byron Dollaway vs. Francimar Bodao has been moved to the TV portion.

I am hoping to see this live but don't know if I'll be able to due to prior commitments.  I can order the PPV and watch it when I get home, but just me watching it at $60-$70 is not something I'd like to do.  Does UFC Fight Pass have the shows?  I'm not expecting them to air it live, but if I wanted to watch it Sunday would it be On-Demand by then?  If so I can see at least doing the trial period to check it out.  Thanks in advance.

Damn, sucks for McCall. At least last time he received his show and win purse, right?

As for Punk, watching these videos, I'm thinking the same as Naimark. Punk's hands and his timing look slow. In any event, I want to see the guy win, but I'm even happier that he's getting the chance to fulfill a dream.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NickMD said:

I am hoping to see this live but don't know if I'll be able to due to prior commitments.  I can order the PPV and watch it when I get home, but just me watching it at $60-$70 is not something I'd like to do.  Does UFC Fight Pass have the shows?  I'm not expecting them to air it live, but if I wanted to watch it Sunday would it be On-Demand by then?  If so I can see at least doing the trial period to check it out.  Thanks in advance.

The actual PPVs don't appear on Fight Pass until a month after the PPV (i.e. UFC 202 on August 20th will be available on Fight Pass on September 20th). I believe only the Fight Pass portion is only portion you can access on Fight Pass after the fact. If you order the PPV online through UFC.tv/Fight Pass, you can probably access it for a certain period of time. I'm not sure since I watch the PPV all the way through so I don't have a ton of use for any replay. So someone can probably answer that better.

You have to remember that the UFC has contracts in place with the PPV providers. Having it available for Fight Pass only members would undercut them.

• Like 1

That makes sense.  I don't see myself waiting a month for it to appear on there, and definitely not going the illegal route.  Looking at the site it's either $50 for SD or $60 for SD.  I'm better off just reading results and that's it.