DVDVR Message Board

The Saturday Night Live thread

ChesterCopperpot

On 12/16/2016 at 11:30 PM, Victator said:

Just please stop the Trump sketches. Its not been funny in over a month, let it go.  Plus they wimped out on making Steve Bannon a real Nazi.

Shit like that is low-hanging fruit. Subtlety is far more effective.

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 1:37 PM, Edwin said:

So just because I stated her skin color while describing her, it's a racial thing?

Oh, Smurfs, they're blue and small. Must be a racial thing...

If you don't think she's funny and don't understand why people think she's funny, what is wrong with just saying, "I don't think she's funny and I don't understand why people think she's funny?" 

Besides, that it's always been my experience when someone prefaces a statement with, "I hope this doesn't sounds racist, but.." they're about to say something incredibly racist and stupid.

Just sayin',.

• Like 3

On 12/16/2016 at 11:30 PM, Victator said:

Just please stop the Trump sketches. Its not been funny in over a month, let it go.  Plus they wimped out on making Steve Bannon a real Nazi.

Trump sketches aren't going anywhere.  He's going to be President, he gets no different treatment than any of the 7 guys before him.

Also, I'm pretty sure Kate McKinnon is a national treasure.  Everytime she does an abduction sketch, it's hands down, the best. 

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2016/12/18/kate_mckinnon_meets_krampus_on_snl.html

• Like 1

Trump sketches aren't going anywhere.  He's going to be President, he gets no different treatment than any of the 7 guys before him.

Then I hope the writing gets better, because the last month has been worse than anything that was ever on Mad TV. 

I didn't vote for the boob and I am near ground zero of the garbage storm he is about to create. 

But that being said, I'm sick of looking at him. You know George HW Bush never got a sketch every week and certainly not two. 

I remember watching the third debate sketch and thinking "Man this is not funny now, thank God this election is ending."

The problem with you and them is that you think there is some obligation to do a Trump sketch every week. Which is making the show unwatchable when it hit a big stride.

4 minutes ago, Victator said:

But that being said, I'm sick of looking at him. You know George HW Bush never got a sketch every week and certainly not two. 

Bush Sr wasn't nearly as ridiculous as Trump and didn't have skin the width of a molecule.

Yeah but the sketches were way funnier because they paced them. The last month of Trump sketches have been awful. This past week was embarrassingly bad. 

I knew Trump would be bad for comedy long term because he is so overblown and stupid, comedy writers would keep going for what was easy. 

Hillary was a nice drip drop of comedy. They would not be tempted to use her every week. 

It would really help if one person associated with the show would acknowledge helping him during the primaries. 

Also the musical monologues are terrible. Why was Emily Blunt singing? 

Trump is an easy target and sometimes that's bad because you're just doing variations on the same joke to the point where it's not funny anymore. 

Tina Fey's schtick on Sarah Palin continues to be funny because she doesn't do it often.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thought this was the funniest episode in months. The weakest bit was the cold open which by coincidence was political crap. 

I loved the Book Worm game show and his thinking Micheal Jackson was King Of The Jews. Along with the Lawyer commercial was great. 

7 hours ago, WholeFnMachine said:

I thought the skit with Aziz in bed with a cast member I couldn't pick out of a line up was alright. 

Melissa Villasenor

We got back from the DC march just in time for the opener. Bennett's line about Conway holding the door open at FAO Schwarz had us in tears... gotta love the jokes that no one outside NYC will ever get. :D

• Like 2

The 10-to-1 was disappointing, even for 10-to-1 standards. I'm sure it wasn't easy singing and all of that. It's difficult to hold a tune and be in key after the running around and exhaustion of a night's work on the show. 

It just felt strange for that to be the closer. I miss the Bennett/Mooney pretapes. They've been sparse since Beck has been getting a better role (which is great). But those were always really good. 

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the cold open was by far the weakest of the Baldwin-as-Trump sketches so far, but Bannon as the grim reaper will always get a chuckle out of me.  

Whoever thought of getting Melissa McCarthy to play Sean Spicer deserves a raise.  That was a sublime sketch.

That McCarthy sketch was great last night. So well done. She's an awesome physical comedian. I also loved the sketch from a few years ago where she was an abusive basketball coach. Totally lost it when she was jabbing the reporter with the podium calling her a dork over and over again.

I don't watch SNL (cord cutter) so I just get to see the good stuff people plug along on Facebook. The politics stuff this year has been great. The black Jeopardy with the likely Trump voter was one of the all-time smartest sketches. So well done. I also really liked Tina Fey and Jimmy Fallon's take on suburban Philadelphia women on Weekend Update, even though Jimmy Fallon can't act.

Best sketch of the year so far was BOY AND WELL.

It's a funny sketch, but I still can't help feeling that Lorne stunt casting all the big impressions is basically the same as Vince filling the Mania card with part-timers.  I'm sure Aidy Bryant was somewhere thinking, "If you wanted a big girl to play Spicer, I've been RIGHT HERE carrying the show all year."

The joke isn't because of a body type. It's because Sean Spicer is a bully and McCarthy is going overboard with that. Her gift for physical acting adds some over-the-top menace. 

That isn't what Aidy Bryant does well. I think she is fantastic but her gift is more in playing sweet-but-devious.

I have no problem with stunt casting. Nothing wrong with getting huge stars to play in big political spoofs -- especially in this world where the comedy is trying to also give some "truth to power."  The more eyeballs you draw the more your point-of-view gets across and the more influence you have. SNL is a national show -- I think the "liberal elite" sorta hates it more than any other group at times, at least in my world of comedy nerds. But if it hits the funny bone of a 16-year-old kid in a red state and makes him/her see the world through that set of eyes, than they win. 

This is is a new world. The President is attacking the show regularly. Game On.

• Like 1