DVDVR Message Board

The Saturday Night Live thread

ChesterCopperpot

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 9:41 PM, JonnyLaw said:

His apology was completely bullshit. Saying you’re sorry to anyone who was “actually offended” is a pretty obvious sign that you don’t think you did anything wrong and most people don’t either.

While I realize that saying deliberately offensive or provocative things to shock people into thinking differently is well within the wheelhouse of a proper and respectable comedian, I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be done in a manner where a racist seeks affirmation of his beliefs from the audience.

Edited by J.T.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fucking LOVED the Eddie Murphy show.  I was afraid they were going to make Eddie try to be one of them, but they played to his strengths instead.  It's the wrestling fan in me, I think he was allowed to swear on purpose, just so he could freak out over doing it.  Which made it funnier.  

Mr. Robinson, Buckwheat, Gumby, I lost my shit when they even brought back Velvet Jones.  He's literally the most un-PC character he had, and he wasn't even that memorable of a character.  

This was a great version of a RAW Reunion show.

• Like 2

That's the first time I watched SNL from start to finish in a long, long time.  Excellent work by everyone involved.  You could really tell the writers brought their A games.

Oh, and it's being reported that the Cosby bit from the monologue was originally supposed to be done during the 40th Anniversary special but got nixed at the last second by Lorne.  Additionally, a rep for Cosby (lol), has called Eddie Murphy a "Stepin Fetchit" and "Hollywood slave" as a reply.  

This is a reminder that Bill Cosby violently sexually assaulted many, many women and will probably die in prison. 

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Oh, and it's being reported that the Cosby bit from the monologue was originally supposed to be done during the 40th Anniversary special but got nixed at the last second by Lorne. 

Wasn't Eddie actually the one who didn't want to do it the sketch? I recall something from Norm McDonald about him not wanting to simply kick Cosby when he was down.

I loved the Mr. Robinson and Velvet Jones sketches.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...