DVDVR Message Board

The Saturday Night Live thread

ChesterCopperpot

I thought this was a pretty good episode. I like Hader. Enjoyed seeing Stefan come back and of course be a total creep. The Jurassic Park thing was great too. I’m a sucker for those screen tests they’ve always done. 

• 1 month later...

Remainder of the season's hosts have been announced:

5/5:  Donald Glover / Childish Gambino (lol)

5/12: Amy Schumer / Kacey Musgraves

5/19 (Season Finale): Tina Fey / Nicki Minaj

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

snl-stormy-daniels1.jpg?w=620&h=420&crop

Thoughts:

1) 2018, where Zoolander, Jack Ryan, and Stormy Daniels are on SNL at the same moment criticizing the god damned President of the United States.  Not only are we through the looking glass, but it shattered on our way through, and we're bleeding out from its shards.  

2) It says plenty about Lorne's trust in this troupe of players in that there are zero members of the main cast on the screen during the biggest joke of the week. (And, I believe, only one during the entire sketch.) 

Also, Donald Glover is about to be a massive, massive star.  Childish Gambino too.

12 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

snl-stormy-daniels1.jpg?w=620&h=420&crop

Thoughts:

2) It says plenty about Lorne's trust in this troupe of players in that there are zero members of the main cast on the screen during the biggest joke of the week. (And, I believe, only one during the entire sketch.) 

I thought it was more a nod to the idea that SNL is so big again that they can absolutely load up a cold open with guest cameos like that.

The Trump skits suck (and have since he started running for office) because Alec Baldwin stinks as Donald. I maintain they should’ve gone with Anthony Atamanuik, from CC’s “The President Show” (shit, get Hammond to do it). He is miles better, and actually auditioned for the role, until Lorne’s hard-on for Alec landed him the part instead. 

Which lead to Baldwin trying to start shit with Anthony on Twitter. Which, I guess is ironic, given the character he’s portraying. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2018 at 7:52 PM, PetrolCB said:

The Trump skits suck (and have since he started running for office) because Alec Baldwin stinks as Donald. I maintain they should’ve gone with Anthony Atamanuik, from CC’s “The President Show” (shit, get Hammond to do it). He is miles better, and actually auditioned for the role, until Lorne’s hard-on for Alec landed him the part instead. 

Which lead to Baldwin trying to start shit with Anthony on Twitter. Which, I guess is ironic, given the character he’s portraying. 

I know I must have said it here, but the Hammond Trump was much better. Hammond plays Trump as an idiot who thinks he is smart. At this point Baldwin's Trump is a parody of Baldwin's Trump. 

• 4 months later...

No love for the Season 44 premiere? "I don't know the meaning of the word 'Stop'" was such a great/uncomfortable joke in the opener, and I love the continued trolling of Trump by casting McKinnon as his potential future AG.

11 minutes ago, Ace said:

People slept on the Oil Baron sketch.

Pete Davidson JUST managed to get through it unscathed.

Opening monologue was great too just for the Kenan Thompson bit. "Is he gonna go all Kylo Ren on my ass?"

I loved the Oil Baron sketch, mostly because it reminded me of one of those very odd Will Forte sketches that would've gone on in the same slot. I could totally see Forte going all in on that character as well, but Adam Driver left nothing behind on it either. I love it when performers put it all out there like that.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Last night's episode was an absolute home run. You can tell Momoa was game for whatever the writers threw at him, and he was a total ham in the best possible way. Cindy almost choked to death for the GE Big Boy vacuum cleaner.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Mulaney's ep was incredible. Everything hit its mark (Bodega Bathroom! Mulaney pledged Kappa Alpha Psi at Howard!) and the one bit you'd expect to die because live TV was a hit just for McKinnon and Bryant ad-libbing an entirely new routine on the fly while DESPERATELY trying not to laugh. A+++++++, would watch again.

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:02 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

John Mulaney was the best host they've had in at least 5 years.

I only lived in NYC for about five years and that was like thirty years ago and it is scary that I have had at least one experience that is very similar to John's.