DVDVR Message Board

The Saturday Night Live thread

ChesterCopperpot

And Trump, overall, is bad for comedy. At least at my open mic level. 

There are always a few "anti-PC" guys floating in any open mic scene who are usually the worst. I am all for being anti-PC as long as it attacks something. Want to do a bit on some dopey professor or celebrity or Bernie Bros for being super PC or some super liberal type who talks about racism of the system but rolls up the windows at the first sight of a minority? Yep. All in. But "anti-PC" is usually code for "rape jokes" or "gay bashing." I have zero time for that and those people are now emboldened.

But perhaps just as bad are wanna-be Jon Stewart types making fun of Trump and Republicans. Like, yep, with you 10000000%. But almost all of it lacks any sort of punchline beyond "these guys suck, right?" or any point of view beyond some corny meme. 

Political comedy is really hard. No matter what, you are going to alienate someone. That right there is hard enough to accept. But it is also way too easy to shoot fish in a barrel. 

I only ever had one political joke. This was in 2007. "I got in a fender bender on the way down here. Do you know who is responsible? DONALD RUMSFELD." I was just starting out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

I only ever had one political joke. This was in 2007. "I got in a fender bender on the way down here. Do you know who is responsible? DONALD RUMSFELD." I was just starting out.

You need to hold onto that one because when it really gets funny is in, like 2030.

See for right now try this one:  "I got in a fender bender on the way down here.  Do you know who is responsible? CASPAR WEINBERGER."

• Like 5

5 hours ago, piranesi said:

You need to hold onto that one because when it really gets funny is in, like 2030.

See for right now try this one:  "I got in a fender bender on the way down here.  Do you know who is responsible? CASPAR WEINBERGER."

I'm not sure if the Philly open mic comedy scene is ready for my HOT TAKES~ on Admiral John Pointdexter.

I find Leslie Jones and Michael Che just the worst parts of SNL not named Bobby Moynihan. One just runs the same "real life jokes about exaggerated version of herself" schtique into the ground week after week, the other just ruins Weekend Update with his garden variety lectures on various topics that no-one wanted to hear any more about to begin with.

I'll agree to a certain degree about Jones. It's kind of like the complaint people had about Farley screaming most of the time. Except that Farley was 200% more entertaining. She has her moments, but they're few and far between  

I disagree about Che. I think he and Jost are great on Update. 

Leslie Jones is the best. Like Farley it is generally the same joke again and again. But if it works, it works.

I like Che, he seems to be the only person trying to do real jokes right now. While others in similar positions want to be grand law givers and the wise old sage. 

I would take him before I would any of the others who have tried to replace John Stewart on cable.

Che and Jost have grown on me so much. It just seems like they are the perfect team for this particular moment, a slick priveleged-looking Ivy leaguer (literally editor of the Harvard Lampoon for chrissakes) and a Performing Arts High School kid from the lower east side getting along and taking the piss out of each other.

When Che was fucking up his line on the East Coast broadcast, it was obvious that Jost was laughing at him and making it worse, and then when Jost messed up just a few minutes later Che gave it right back to him and then made the funniest joke of the night "You just saved my job."

They really are loose and fun as a team.

• Like 4

FWIW, I don't watch SNL except for when something good ends up on Youtube but Michael Che is a great standup who had a really good special. He also had an interesting opinion on the Great Dictator when he was on the Daily Show about trying to not be openly angry and just make simple jokes, because the man is a farce in and of himself. 

As far as the Daily Show knocking on here, some of us need our bitterness jag in the evening after coming home post-work to a couple drinks and solid @Midnight laughs to catch the replay at 12:30 and be juiced enough to not put our foot through the screen

With the buzz leading into Baldwin's hosting tonight and the specter of who else might be showing up in "Trump's" cabinet, it really feels like SNL is as DANGEROUS as it's been in decades. Looking forward to it. 

• Like 2

We, as a nation, and a not insignificant number of people across the world, are now sitting and waiting because the President of the United States is going to be watching a sketch comedy show and then is going to react to it.

They never made a DEFCON number for this level of insane.

Historians in the new flesh order that arises out of the rubble will write volumes on It's Pat and Toonces the Driving Cat as the lead ups to the Apocalypse.

Verdict (of the People's Court): Kate McKinnon is awesome. The gags revolving around Trump's Circle of Tyrants are funnier than the ones about Trump himself, though I'm sure he's gonna explode about being portrayed by a black woman. Three really terrible trailers for three really terrible films, and that Ed weenie toting his acoustic singing about getting laid and country driving needs to be flushed ASAP. Baldwin had a great save of a line flub in the Army segment and the Update crew can't stop laughing which I always like. So, 6/10 or so

Oh, and it was really really good to see Tracy Morgan again. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the movie Don't Think Twice. I was expecting a silly comedy about an improv group. What I got was a bit dramatic, but always stayed light hearted. An improv group and their attempts at getting on "SNL". 

In the movie SNL is called Weekend Live. The group all have inspirations to make it to the big show but also try yo stay true to the group.  

It gets pretty amusing but very interesting at the same time how the writing, hosts, schedule, and even their own Lorne Michaels, are presented. 

I thought maybe you SNL fans would like to check it out. 

• 2 weeks later...

The last few shows have felt really loose and free-wheeling. I've liked them. Little things like just throwing Kate McKinnon out there as Kellyanne during the breaks is a nice, spur-of-the-moment surreal touch.

Imagine some kid seeing that episode on VH1 20 years form now and being like "What the hell does that mean? Was there a contest? What IS THAT???"

2 hours ago, piranesi said:

The last few shows have felt really loose and free-wheeling. I've liked them. Little things like just throwing Kate McKinnon out there as Kellyanne during the breaks is a nice, spur-of-the-moment surreal touch.

Imagine some kid seeing that episode on VH1 20 years form now and being like "What the hell does that mean? Was there a contest? What IS THAT???"

And "Because cocaine" is no longer an excuse like it was in decades past. 

• 2 months later...

It's her gimmick. 

Side note, we share the exact birth date. So, there's that. 

Haim isn't bad, I like quite a few of their songs, dunno why they took so long to put out a second record. But, and this'll sound conceited and I don't care, but acts like this (and I thought this when I first saw them on SNL in fall '13), make me think, "How the fuck did they get this far, with these songs?". 

Look, it sounds self-centered, and it is, but I've written, recorded and performed, at a minimum, three dozen (and way more) better songs than what they've churned out. 

Having said that, it was an okay episode. The Rock should be good coming up for the finale.