DVDVR Message Board

The Saturday Night Live thread

ChesterCopperpot

• 3 weeks later...

SNL had enough material for a really nice hour long Prince special that they had to pad out to an hour and a half. It was my fault for watching it in real time I guess. Also, I've been conscious of Jimmy Fallon for almost 20 years and I still can't decide whether I like him or not. They're probably still picking up all of the names he dropped while he was introducing the SNL 40 after party clip. 

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, offspring515 said:

I'm shocked about Killam.  Seemed well liked and always had lots to do in the show.  

Also seems odd to drop the guy who does Obama now.  Pharaoh never really found his niche but he had his moments.

I always thought Killam would become the mainstream, breakout star. Pretty much anything they threw at him he knocked it out of the park, but never really ended up with a 'defining' character ('Eddie' and 'Jebidiah Atkinson' were definitely two of my favorites, probably the closest thing to standout characters he had). Definitely sad to see him go. 

Bummed about Killam, he was great. Pharaoh was enjoyable, but like Rudnitsky, he never got time to shine. Although to be fair, Rudnitsky was so infrequently used, I can't fairly judge. I wonder who'll get promoted to regular cast status from the featured players pool. Probably Beck Bennet, Kyle Mooney and Leslie Jones, because of her Ghostbusters role. The others, I have no clue. 

Pharaoh stuck around a lot longer than I originally expected. I remember a talk show sketch in maybe his second season where the joke was that all he did were very specific impressions and couldn't offer anything else. I thought he was done after that, but he hung in there. 

• 2 months later...

I haven't been sure what to make of Alec Baldwin's Donald Trump impersonation, but him (as Trump) saying: "I have the support of the BEST Baldwin brother, Stephen!" honestly cracked me the fuck up. 

The amount of shade and family dysfunction going on there.

The Black Jeopardy skit this week was brilliant for illustrating the similarities between the media's depiction of a Trump backer and the stereotype of an average African American i.e. though philosophically different their distrust of governemnt is shared real thing.

James. 

• Like 2

Tom killed it but then, as already said, he's always good on SNL and also always killed it on Colbert too. Shame that he made that imminent turd Inferno (why would a guy trying to destroy the world give you a way to stop him? Because there wouldn't be a fucking movie that's why!).

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, J.H. said:

*secretly hoping for De La and Jungle Brothers to show up and we get a mini-Native Tongues moment on SNL*

James

They should go for it; even unallowed because Michaels can't really ban a band that's breaking up right after the gig after all...

They should also totally have Dave grooving out watching the band like on the old Chappelle Show musical guest spots

• Like 1

I would lose my damn mind if it happened... like seriously start running around the house screaming in joy!

BUT... De La is playing Rio that night and there are still rumors of Pos and Tip having some kind of beef in the last year or so

James