DVDVR Message Board

The Saturday Night Live thread

ChesterCopperpot

3 episodes have been announced:

12/06 - James Franco, Nicki Minaj

12/13 - Martin Freeman, Charli XCX

12/20 - Amy Adams, One Direction

None of the musical guests interest me because it's not the type of music I listen to, but I am intrigued by Martin Freeman hosting.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this episode was really bad. I think that Star Wars trailer may have been the laziest thing I've ever seen them do. 

Luke SKYWALKER?  How about Luke WITHAWALKER!!!!

Han SOLO...GETTING THE EARLY BIRD SPECIAL..WHHHHAAAAAAATTT??????

And, man, Che cannot sell a joke on WU and Jost is barely better. It's uncomfortable.

The Brain one was funny but only because stringing together a bunch of 'Remember that thing from when you were a kid" jokes together is 100% unfuckupable.

I find myself laughing at the idea of the Weekend Update jokes more than the way either of them tell the jokes. Like I just retell it to myself as they're saying it and it makes me laugh. Neither of them really grab my attention and the set even feels extra listless. This makes me sad because Weekend Update for a long time is the only segment that could guarantee a laugh. These two feel very milquetoast, and the Weekend Updater needs to have a slight cynical edge. Otherwise they just come off as nice and friendly Tom Bergerons in between cat clips on America's Funniest Home Video.

I enjoyed Charli XCX because I enjoy her appearance. I can only imagine how sick of singing "Boom Clap" she must be by now.

Strong episode. Martin Freeman has Dwayne Johnson in 1999 levels of charisma. And Sump'n Claus was amazing.

On another note, I don't get the Weekend Update hate, it consistently makes me laugh and I'm not just sitting there waiting for Andy Samberg or Stephon like I was during the oh so clever Seth Myers era. I HATED him and I hated last year with Cecily and Colin Jost doing their best Seth Myers impressions. I like Che - although he's still a bit stiff - and I'm starting to like Jost. Pete Davidson's monologues need to be weekly though; the couple he has done were both gold. 

I enjoyed Charli XCX because I enjoy her appearance. I can only imagine how sick of singing "Boom Clap" she must be by now.

Strong episode. Martin Freeman has Dwayne Johnson in 1999 levels of charisma. And Sump'n Claus was amazing.

On another note, I don't get the Weekend Update hate, it consistently makes me laugh and I'm not just sitting there waiting for Andy Samberg or Stephon like I was during the oh so clever Seth Myers era. I HATED him and I hated last year with Cecily and Colin Jost doing their best Seth Myers impressions. I like Che - although he's still a bit stiff - and I'm starting to like Jost. Pete Davidson's monologues need to be weekly though; the couple he has done were both gold.

Pete Davidson is going to be a very big deal in a few years. He has it.

The Xmas ep on the whole was just ok, but the Serial sketch was spot-on.

• 5 weeks later...

"Why'd You Post That" was a technical nightmare, then they had another fuck up during the (pretty funny) James Brown sketch.

My wife said "Are they letting the interns direct?  Some kind of High School job shadow going on?"

what did everyone think of the show this past weekend?

Hart's monologue killed it, the Bushwood Corner Boys digital short and the Chocolate Droppa sketch were great. One of the best shows - if not the best of the season. Admittedly the bar isn't high

I loved Hart's monologue and the Bushwood Corner Boys short.  The other junk?  Eh.

Sia has a lovely voice but those performances were fucking bizarre.