DVDVR Message Board

The Saturday Night Live thread

ChesterCopperpot

I was noting that Fallon wasn't able to get to the high notes in the Barry Gibb sketch, and then Barry schooled both of them at the end.

How he's able to still do that after 40 years is beyond me.

"Twin Bed" was pretty great.

I thought this was by far the best ep. of the season. Particularly enjoyed the opening sketch, divorce lawyers, Bill Brasky (which I don't remember from before), Santa's elves. To me Taran is becoming the break-out star as he totally immerses himself in all the characters. I even like his movie review stuff despite wishing they would leave the Bible stuff out of it. To me Kate McKinnon is the highlight from the female side.

They got really lucky with the fact that Killam was able to fill that critical utility infielder spot (aka the Hartman/Ferrell/Hader spot) immediately after Hader left it open. It usually takes them a few years between exiting cast members to do that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So Sasheer was pretty good in her first night and Drake performed admirably.  

And with the news that a black woman has been added to the cast, a new white male has been de facto added:

Head writer Colin Jost is joining Cecily Strong as co-anchor of Weekend Update. 

So Sasheer was pretty good in her first night and Drake performed admirably.  

And with the news that a black woman has been added to the cast, a new white male has been de facto added:

Head writer Colin Jost is joining Cecily Strong as co-anchor of Weekend Update.

But they're losing a white male, so the cast isn't getting any whiter. Maybe it would have been better to have Keenan mugging for the camera after deliver a punchline?

• 2 weeks later...

What...the...fuck was that museum sketch.  Did they drop the cue cards?  Yikes.

Brutal.  Uncomfortable to watch.  Hell, even if they had all hit their lines and cues, the premise was horribly unfunny.  

Of course, to me, SNL has three times now exposed the weakness that Melissa McCarthy's "comedy" is best in small small doses.  Although she has some laughable moments, her "I'm loud and weird and will play nothing but awkward weird characters" style gets old really quick. 

OK.  Here it comes...

standby....

I don't see the meltdown.  It was a weak bit and it was maybe too scattered for the camera angle so it felt under-rehearsed or something.  But it didn't look like any worse than a lot of 12:55 sketches.

NEVERMIND THAT SHIT AIDY BRYANT'S ONE THING THEY LET HER DO IS ON!!!!!!

Dammit.  They ruined her one thing they let her do.

Speaking of 12:55 sketches.......I already deleted it from the DVR because I didn't necessarily worry about it enough to go back and rewatch, but I'd swear towards the end of the sketch with McCarthy and Bobby Moynihan on the park bench, she said "Watch my shit...." when she got up and walked away.  It was hard to tell, her mouth was full.

And I didn't see the museum sketch as a meltdown.....it was just awful. Horrible premise, no timing, no real laughs. Even the cast seemed ready to get it over with.  I have no idea how it survived dress rehearsal.

• Like 1

I agree that museum sketch was kind of WTF.  I'm not even sure if McCarthy's character was supposed to be male or female.

Kind of an uneven episode as I thought some of it was the funniest of the season, and I've been a big fan of McCarthy whenever she's been on, but some fell really flat like the sketch mentioned and the Kyle Mooney man on the street thing.  I wasn't sure if that was supposed to be a continuation of his college public access show guy or this was just a one off.

I was almost positive she said "watch my shit".