DVDVR Message Board

The Saturday Night Live thread

ChesterCopperpot

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

SNL has cancelled Morgan Wallen as their musical guest for next week after he posted videos on his TikTok showing he was socializing in Alabama at bars and house parties without masking or social distancing.  

Jack White and Daru Jones were absolutely incredible. I got tingles a couple times.

Bill Burr's standup sounded a little unpolished but funny. I was popped when he linked his overpopulation obsession to Covid.

Not a lot of great sketches tho. They even did a rehash of the Will Ferrell Crate & Barrel/Cracker Barrel routine from a while back but with Kate McKinnon just laughing through it.

• 4 weeks later...

Dave Chappelle's opening monologue was long (16 minutes!), raw, more than a little uncomfortable and full of hard truths about today's society.

And then this immediately happened.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Haha 5

I watched the monologue twice. At first I thought he was going easy and then he dropped the hammer big time. As he should. Some of the rest of the spots felt like he had a hand in them too, I just wish he had a better musical guest because Foo's lame, watered-down Springsteen rock is the exact opposite of him (I am very disappointed in you, Dave Grohl). 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Takeaways from last night:

• Pete Davidson is slowly coming into his own with more and more stuff where he isn't out there as "Pete Davidson" doing a bit. I dig the stretches.
  • Bowen Yang REALLY needs a higher profile. We were dying for him as Fran Lebowitz - chef's kiss perfect.
  • Machine Gun Kelly is like if Green Day and Grandaddy had the world's most punchable child.
  • People who say the show isn't funny anymore or that they won't have any material to work with now that Trump is out of office can take a flying leap.
  • Like 1