DVDVR Message Board

Scenes that make you weep like a baby

Jerome Miller

Okay, none of this "it got pretty dusty in the room" nonsense.  This thread is for scenes in films/tv shows/plays that make you just burst into tears whenever you watch them.

Everybody remembers "Did You See The Sunrise" where Magnum kills the KGB assassin in cold blood, but this is from the 1985 episode "Going Home", when Magnum returns home to Virginia for his grandfather's funeral and is forced to reconcile with his stepfather and the memory of his (previously unmentioned) younger half-brother Joey, who hero worshipped Magnum, followed him to Vietnam, and died there.  Selleck got a Golden Globe for this episode, but he had just won the Emmy the year before so he was passed over in 1985.

And yes, that's the recently departed David Huddleston as the stepfather.

I was 10 years old when Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn dropped. It holds a special place in my heart for me. You see, as a kid, Star Trek The Original Series was one of the few things I could always sit and watch with my Dad. We had and still have very different tastes. But Star Trek was something we could sit and bond over. So when we went to see Star Trek II and "The Moment" happens (and if you have to ask "What moment?" then seriously fuck you) it had a dep impact on me. I made it through the to the end of the movie and once we exited the theater on66th and 2nd ave in NYC then I broke down crying. So there I am a bawling 10 year old in the street and my mother's idea of comforting me is to tell me "It's just a movie Jamie". My Father, never the most outwardly emotionally of men, Firmly tells her "Don't tell him that! Death is something he needs to understand". I cried all the way to the coffee shop we walked to for dinner. After a few more minutes of crying after we are seated we order and my father and I sit and have a very frank and honest conversation about death and why my reaction to Spock's death was not only a proper response but a healthy response. "You're my son and you're sensitive and I'm actually happy for that" were the exact words he used sum up the conversation. It is still as crystal clear in my memory as the day it happened.

Spock's death still makes me cry and always will.

James

• Like 7

Oh, and:

When you realize Rocky never gave a crap about winning that fight in the first place. It was simply about proving something to himself and Adrian. 

His utter indifference when the match result is announced, though.

He'd won anyway.

• Like 1

This be another (skip to 04:52).

Apollo Creed finally thinks he's beat Rocky, Mickey telling Rocky to stay down, Adrian watches. Rocky gets up and Apollo cant believe it, the body shots to Creed all accompanied by THAT music.

EDIT: Whoops, just seen Reed's post. Seconded!

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

This be another (skip to 04:52).

Apollo Creed finally thinks he's beat Rocky, Mickey telling Rocky to stay down, Adrian watches. Rocky gets up and Apollo cant believe it, the body shots to Creed all accompanied by THAT music.

EDIT: Whoops, just seen Reed's post. Seconded!

Amazing sequence

1 hour ago, Roman said:

I'll just put them in spoilers so as not to stretch the pages too much:

Reveal hidden contents

This one hit very close to home:

And basically every other scene in Plague Dogs.

the end of Big Fish.  I was going through some real rough patches and my dad was helping me out more than I could be thankful for, so when I saw that movie and end....jesus, it absolutely murdered me.

• Like 1

This one is a little weird.  Yes, a main character has just surprisingly died, but it's something else that gets me.   It's just so ambiguous.  The sheer level of optimism about the future mixed with the understanding of the brutality of that future.   It's just like everything about "America" hits you all at once, how its present future and past are impossible to detach from each other.  And of course the music is unfair.  It just hits every damn button

Spoiler

• Like 1

Both of mine are from Angel: The entire "You're Welcome" episode of the 5th season (100th episode overall). What a gutpunch of an episode, jesus. Then, three episodes later, Fred is possessed by Illyria. The scene where Wesley is holding Fred's body and they're both just lost in that moment and totally in love, and then - just like that - she's gone and an ancient God is in her place... Heartbreaking and shocking at the same time.

I can't remember, since I haven't seen the episode in SUCH a long time, but I'm pretty sure "I Will Remember You" from S1 is pretty fucking sad too. That's one thing Whedon knows how to do - make you really depressed.

• Like 1

There's something special in this scene.

Both Dom and Vin were saying goodbye, in their own ways.

I remember being in that theater and most people were crying by the time the credits rolled. 

It's about loss, essentially. And how someone learns to cope with it.

A stupid, silly car chase film gets to the point of the subject more than most arty, pretentious Oscar-winning films ever will. Amazing.

• Like 4

I know the ending of Requiem for a Dream is an obvious one, but it's not the ending that gets me.  It's Ellen Burstyn's earlier monolog, in part because while I don't particularly identify with being young and beautiful and addicted to heroin, I can identify with seeing people go through being old and ignored and just...having nothing and no one left to live for...and can imagine that it's coming for me.  It's coming for us all.

It's also just so overwhelming for the quality of the performance.  I don't know about you, but I actually get teary during movies/tv sometimes just because of how good something is.  It doesn't have to be sad.  But when I see people doing something uniquely amazing on film, I get weepy almost in joy for them for how amazing they are.  Ellen Burstyn is basically the greatest actress who ever lived in this scene.

Spoiler

So, pucker up and bawl, losers.

• Like 3

piranesi makes a really good point in that how you identify with a scene is important. I've never been to war, or suffer from PTSD, and that shit is horrible and all. But why I cry watching the end of First Blood is identifying with the isolation, the disconnection, the emptiness John Rambo feels. He's next to dead silent aside from brief conversation and grunts the entire film, and then, finally cornered like a rat, he just opens up with all this pain like a dam burst inside of him.

It makes one even more pissed off at the Oscars for not giving him his nod for Creed, too. 

EDIT: Also, FUCK YOU, PIRANESI. Goddammit...