DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2016 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Yeah, that roast of Rob Lowe suddenly turned into a roast of Ann Coulter, not that I found that tragic or anything.  It was kinda sad how they dog piled on her, but it goes to show that political pundits like Ann prefer that the travel of hurled barbs only be one way.

Jeff Ross recently appeared on NPR's Fresh Air and talked about the whole incident.  You should be able to catch the interview again wherever you pick up your podcasts.

Ross hilariously remarked that both Kanye West and Rush Limbaugh have proactively sent him correspondence telling him never to ask either of them to appear on a Celebrity Roast.

Finally watched the Son of Zorn pilot (Fox aired it early a couple Sundays ago after football).  It's got decent reviews so far, I think, so I'm not sure what to make of my pure, raging hatred of it.  I don't generally got too wrapped up in tv shows one way or the other, so I'm a little surprised how much I dislike the show.  It's just my opinion, but I found it completely unfunny.  When Zorn does the extended bit where he explains how his boss looks and acts like a woman, but can't actually be a woman because she's, y'know, his superior - I felt bad for everyone involved.

It seems to have good people behind the cameras, so maybe it will improve, but I don't know that I want to give it another chance.  And I'll give almost any show a few watches before forming an opinion.

Regarding Ann Coulter, Tony Hinchclife was on Joe Rogan's podcast talking about it a couple weeks ago. Tony has been a joke writer for the roasts for a little bit now. He basically said that Coulter was, unsurprisingly, the biggest cunt to work with. She wanted to write her own shit and go off script, she didn't want advice from anyone else, she consider the writers and performers beneath her, and she didn't bother to practice. So when Coulter went up, she obviously bombed and bombed hard. Much of her roasting came from that and from how difficult she was to work with.

Tons of praise for Peyton Manning though, which isn't a big surprise because he was really well liked by folks on SNL. Peyton  wanted to rehearse as much as possible, nail down reading off the teleprompter while looking into the cameras or looking at others on stage, get his timing down, and put in a lot of work to make his bit as successful as possible. Similar praise for Jewel as well.

Some of my co-workers think the Roast is a bit outdated thanks to the savagery of social media where the venom poured on celebrities is measured by the ocean full, but its not like people like Ann don't filter their social media content heavily so that they don't see even the more constructive criticism, much less the open trolling.

That was probably the first time Ann Coulter has taken unprotected shots to her ego in an open forum.

I guess the next time she wants to promote a book, she won't do it anywhere on Comedy Central.

Speaking of Roasts, what happened to Coulter still doesn't touch the SAVAGERY Mike Lawrence laid on Ralphie May in the Roast Battle. It happened a little bit ago now, but holy shit. If you haven't seen it, you should. Ralphie looked like he wanted to kill Mike. The last time I heard or watched that brutal of a takedown it was Ice Cube's No Vaseline.

• Like 1

So I watched the pilot of Designated Survivor..

Now, I want to dislike it because of some out there things, like someone who's been in the Cabinet for 3 years not knowing what the Designated Survivor is, or that someone asked to resign that day would be selected to be the DS, or that anyone would let a Non-joint Chief General run around the situation room barking orders without chain of command established, or openly challenging the President's authority, or after said General basically said he wanted to glass Iran, not run straight to the Secret Service the second he suggested staging a Coup de tat less than an hour after 2/3 of the Government branches and the entire line of succession is wiped out.  

But the last 15 years of current events has been so surreal that it's broken my capacity for distinguishing real from fantasy, so I'll just let this go and enjoy Keifer Sutherland not being a one man wrecking crew.

6 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

So I watched the pilot of Designated Survivor..

Now, I want to dislike it because of some out there things, like someone who's been in the Cabinet for 3 years not knowing what the Designated Survivor is, or that someone asked to resign that day would be selected to be the DS, or that anyone would let a Non-joint Chief General run around the situation room barking orders without chain of command established, or openly challenging the President's authority, or after said General basically said he wanted to glass Iran, not run straight to the Secret Service the second he suggested staging a Coup de tat less than an hour after 2/3 of the Government branches and the entire line of succession is wiped out.  

But the last 15 years of current events has been so surreal that it's broken my capacity for distinguishing real from fantasy, so I'll just let this go and enjoy Keifer Sutherland not being a one man wrecking crew.

We still have a whole season for him to bring out Bauer's magic duffel bag and start snapping terrorist necks. 

FXX has just announced plans for the longest marathon in television history! Beginning Thanksgiving Day, a 600-episode The Simpsons marathon will span 300 hours (13 days) and include every episode of TV’s longest-running series. The 27-season marathon begins at 12:00 PM ET on Thursday, November 24th and ends on Wednesday, December 6th at midnight ET. The Simpsons marathon will air in chronological order, beginning with the 1989 Simpsons Christmas special.

The Simpsons marathon will become the longest-running marathon in television history, surpassing the previous record holder, FXX’s 552-episode, 12-day Simpsons marathon, which ran from August 21, 2014 at 10 AM to September 1 at midnight. That marathon propelled the nascent FXX to cable’s #1-ranked network primetime in Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34 for 12 consecutive days.

So, I mean, don't judge me or anything, but This Is Us is pretty damn good and I'll be watching every week. I don't even want to talk about the show in case some of you decide to check it out. Pretty good, I was surprised.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Casey said:

So, I mean, don't judge me or anything, but This Is Us is pretty damn good and I'll be watching every week. I don't even want to talk about the show in case some of you decide to check it out. Pretty good, I was surprised.

My Mom raved about it, which usually means I'll hate it.  Surprisingly it was very good.  I'll keep tuning in.

On 9/21/2016 at 3:58 PM, J.T. said:

Yeah, that roast of Rob Lowe suddenly turned into a roast of Ann Coulter, not that I found that tragic or anything.  It was kinda sad how they dog piled on her

Nothing less than she deserves, though.

You spend your existence shitting on people.

Well, eventually, they turn around and shit on you.  

A lesson in life.

On 9/24/2016 at 10:07 PM, Brian Fowler said:

My sister said This Is Us is great as well, haven't had a chance to check it out.

We ran out of TV after the debate and watched it. It was good (and knowing there was a twist but not knowing if the twist was going to be horrific or saccharine helped) but I almost think it would have worked better as part of an anthology show. One episode and out. 

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 10:22 AM, Vader does my taxes! said:

Finally watched the Son of Zorn pilot (Fox aired it early a couple Sundays ago after football).  It's got decent reviews so far, I think, so I'm not sure what to make of my pure, raging hatred of it.  I don't generally got too wrapped up in tv shows one way or the other, so I'm a little surprised how much I dislike the show.  It's just my opinion, but I found it completely unfunny.  When Zorn does the extended bit where he explains how his boss looks and acts like a woman, but can't actually be a woman because she's, y'know, his superior - I felt bad for everyone involved.

It seems to have good people behind the cameras, so maybe it will improve, but I don't know that I want to give it another chance.  And I'll give almost any show a few watches before forming an opinion.

I guess that means I caught episode 2. I thought the second episode was good enough to watch again.

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

My girlfriend wants us to start watching Secrets and Lies this season.   Michael Ealy is the prime suspect this time around.  Coincidence?

I hate that pretty mother fucker.

Don't worry about where she gets her appetite so long as you're in the kitchen serving up the meal baby wooooo!

• Like 2