DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2016 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

2 hours ago, jstout said:

Animaniacs and Tiny Toons were can't-miss, schedule-altering TV when I had my first jobs out of college. That and Smokey Mountain Wrestling.

I'm 47 and still occasionally proclaim "elelator go down the hole."

My older brother is more about the button line. There are several songs i can't really think about/hear w/o thinking of the Tiny Toons music videos.

On 9/16/2016 at 9:03 AM, J.T. said:

Netflix has also cancelled Hand Of God after two seasons.  Looks like they're just purging in order to clear the way for more new projects since Iron Fist is on the way and they've just signed Spike Lee to do a ten episode modernized adaptation of She's Gotta Have It.

I think Hand of God is an Amazon Prime show.  I guess the second season is coming out next year.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Uhhhh, so that ending to Vince Principals was super fucking dark. Good lord.

45 minutes ago, Craig H said:

HOLY SHIT! Holy fucking shit! VICE PRINCIPALS.

Oh my fucking god.

I read these first and I still wasn't ready. 

Week to week I was thinking this, but wasn't sure until last night. Vice Principals is one of the best shows on TV. I was expecting something like Eastbound and Down and what I got was something that could be funny as hell, incredibly dark, bring the drama, and be nostalgic. 

What was the last bad thing Walton Goggins did? Predators? Jesus that guy is awesome.

• Like 2

So, The Good Place... This has "critically adored, insane cult following, cancelled within ten episodes because the universe is a cold and uncaring place" written all over it.

Way weirder than I expected, but also way better than I expected.

On 9/18/2016 at 11:01 PM, Casey said:

Uhhhh, so that ending to Vince Principals was super fucking dark. Good lord.

So we are all going to ignore that Casey called it "Vince" Principals

• Like 3

For a zany modern comedy, it was ok. There was a moment when the two guys were SO SO HAPPY about picking up trash at the end where my wife looked over and gave the "I'm not sure about this" comment which is the precursor to being near done with something. It's going to be a zany Bell-driven themed disaster of the week, because we spent a good chunk of the first episode trying to figure out the story engine to keep this going week after week. The big problem is that in order for the show to last believably, she has to grow as a human being, but if she grows as a human being, she's not nearly as funny anymore. 10 episodes and out might be a mercy.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jstout said:
Made it through 15 minutes of the new weed-dealer "comedy" on HBO. When did humor shift to solely characters making other characters uncomfortable?

Midway through Season 1 of The Office.