DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2016 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

11 hours ago, Craig H said:

I'm dying to watch more of Atlanta. Another amazing pilot episode.

"Not right now? ... That basically means no man..."

I laughed so fucking hard.

The one thing I didn't get was the Twin Peaks vibe Donald Glover has talked about. I guess maybe the guy on the bus with his Nutella (gross) sandwich goes somewhere further than that.

Darius asked to measure Earn's father's tree in his front yard. Later that night, there was a little blurb on the news channel about falling trees due to storms and whatnot.

I love this show already.

21 minutes ago, Casey said:

Darius asked to measure Earn's father's tree in his front yard. Later that night, there was a little blurb on the news channel about falling trees due to storms and whatnot.

I love this show already.

Oh shit! I didn't even pick up on that. Wow. That is awesome.

I finally got around to watching Master of None over the last few weeks. I feel like I had yet to see Netflix pull off a great half hour series (granted, there's a lot of their original content I haven't watched), and this was wonderful. I will l say that Aziz's stand up, especially his more recent material shines through in this series to the point where some of the beats felt very familiar, but the Penultimate series really hit close to home if you've ever been in a lengthy relationship where you live with another person.

• Like 1

So, the early premier of The Blindspot airs tonight and the new season kicks off on the 21st .  I imagine that Rippa already has his excuse ready for why he'll be calling in sick tomorrow.  That or he will "telework" on Thursday.

27 minutes ago, J.T. said:

So, the early premier of The Blindspot airs tonight and the new season kicks off on the 21st .  I imagine that Rippa already has his excuse ready for why he'll be calling in sick tomorrow.  That or he will "telework" on Thursday.

I still haven't watch Season 1 so that is a no go

This is the problem of having shows your better half wants to watch with you

I hear ya.  I am two episodes behind on Mr. Robot because my significant other does not allow me to watch them without her.

I am already in the dog house for watching SW: Force Awakens on Stars OnDemand at my parent's crib during the week so I don't want to start any shit before the weekend.. Not sure why she's pissed as she normally hates my nerd entertainment choices.

We finally got all caught up on Greenleaf last Sunday before the football games.  Now she wants us to start watching Queen Sugar just in time for a new round of Marvel Netflix shows about to start and now Altered Carbon is on my radar.

21 minutes ago, J.T. said:

What?  Kyle Chandler got two Emmy noms from that show.  That's too bad.

One theory I have seen so far is that the cost of production went up because they shoot in Florida and Florida no longer gives tax breaks for shooting in the state.

8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

One theory I have seen so far is that the cost of production went up because they shoot in Florida and Florida no longer gives tax breaks for shooting in the state.

Florida has been kicking that can down the road for a while now.  Dumb of them to follow through with it because for a while there, a lot of shows like The Glades and Burn Notice were filming 95% to 100% of the time on location in Florida and / or were set in Florida.

I'm intrigued by the trailers for the upcoming USA show, Falling Water.  I will probably spend most of my time glaring at my woman rather than watching television as she has a huge celebrity crush on Will Yun Lee.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Netflix has cancelled Bloodlines

The upcoming Season 3 will be its last and it has been cut from 13 episodes to 10

I like the show but it's plot seems like something that has a limited shelf life.  It's one of those stories that will definitely get into diminishing returns if they try and stretch it out too far.

Altered Carbon is an awesome book and I'm looking forward to the series.  Based on content in Netflix other series I'm hoping they won't skimp on the graphic content.

10 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Netflix has cancelled Bloodlines

The upcoming Season 3 will be its last and it has been cut from 13 episodes to 10

Noooooooooooo! This show ROCKS. Hopefully they can tie things up nicely in those 10 episodes. 

The second episode of Gomorrah is two hours long. What are they trying to do, a miniseries here?

EDIT: Ah, I see, it's stretched out to two because of commercials. Which makes no sense because Wiki lists each episode as 50 minutes long. Can't be THAT many ads.

EDIT II: I was right in that they're doubling up on episodes, but wrong in how much I'd like it. Started watching and it reeled me in like a fish this time. Little exposition, fast pace, one bit of violence and turning of the plot's crank to the next in short order. It's really old-school mafia -- especially the extortion of politicians -- but I'm getting into it now. And it looks spectacular. One character in particular has already had a really neat arc within just three episodes.

8 hours ago, Tabe said:

Noooooooooooo! This show ROCKS. Hopefully they can tie things up nicely in those 10 episodes. 

I still need to finish Season Two. I've only watched around 3 episodes. I'll probably do that soon.

Animaniacs is on Netflix and my six year old nephew is crazy about it. He's been running around the house singing the theme song for the last two weeks. I was babysitting him earlier and found Tiny Toon Adventures on YouTube . I showed him the opening song and he went to bed eager for more "Maniacs an' Toons."

I'm a good Uncle.

• Like 6

Netflix has also cancelled Hand Of God after two seasons.  Looks like they're just purging in order to clear the way for more new projects since Iron Fist is on the way and they've just signed Spike Lee to do a ten episode modernized adaptation of She's Gotta Have It.

Bloodline season 2 was so shitty. It suffers from many sophomore seasons, which is that so many characters develop a major case of the stupids. That's only compounded by how season 1 ended and how that's not an element in season 2. Season 3 is a fine stopping point because you really can't drag this out any longer than they are.

I just finished Wolf Hall. Quite slow, and it's a bit of a strange bit of history to tell, going from Wolsey's demise up to Anne Boleyn's demise without actually going very deep into the issues. The acting was impeccable, though, especially from Mark Rylance (Thomas Cromwell) and Claire Foy (Anne Boleyn). Add the costumes, the scenes, the lighting and the sparse but beautiful music and you've got a somewhat slow and perhaps even at time slightly dull show that is also wonderful and beautiful.