DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2016 MOVIE DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

1 minute ago, J.T. said:

Wow.  Voices from Chernobyl will either enrage you or send you running for an entire bottle of Tylenol to swallow.

It is a great movie, but really really really hard to watch.

And talking about weird - the fact that it is in Foreign Film instead of Documentary...

I also see that Desierto was submitted by Mexico. I have seen the trailers again recently since I think it is about to get its US release and I am still trying to decide if it qualifies as Horror

17 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

And talking about weird - the fact that it is in Foreign Film instead of Documentary...

Probably has a better shot of winning as a Foreign Film.  If it were entered in the Best Documentary Category, it would have to compete with movies like Batkid Begins, Hitchcock / Truffaut, and Meru.

I will totally lose my shit if Under The Shadow is nominated for Best Foreign Film. 

Hopefully it would go on to win the Foreign Film Oscar that A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night should've gotten.

15 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I also see that Desierto was submitted by Mexico. I have seen the trailers again recently since I think it is about to get its US release and I am still trying to decide if it qualifies as Horror

I've heard good things about this movie but it is such a painfully obvious barb thrown at US politics.  I am not sure if it is horror or satire.

Hell, if it were shown at a Trump rally, it might be considered to be the feel good comedy of the year, I guess.

Looks like it falls under horror in a Deliverance/Hills Have Eyes kinda way. 

I think it might've already been posted but the trailer for Dog Eat Dog that led me too got a good laugh. Nic Cage and Willem Dafoe as inept ex-cons doing dirt should be pretty fun. Directed by Paul Schrader too, no less (maybe he can make up for The Canyons here)

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Having seen it last year, I'd say it's more thriller than horror.

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

I've heard good things about this movie but it is such a painfully obvious barb thrown at US politics.  I am not sure if it is horror or satire.

Hell, if it were shown at a Trump rally, it might be considered to be the feel good comedy of the year, I guess.

So, I liked it and thought it was worth a watch.  A lot of other people (even in an audience of Canadians) had problems with it.  I got the impression they were looking for an insightful political message, or something a little nuanced, and Desierto is not the place to find that.

• RIPPA unpinned and locked this topic