DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2016 MOVIE DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Deadpool is perfect for 10-13 year olds. Give me a break. That is exactly the humor level that would amuse kids at that age these days and exactly the kind of naughty thing they'd like to see without it being creepy to show it to them. Then again, I don't have kids and feel like a permafrosted adolescent, so hey.

On the other side of the equation Metallica are so done over and up their own ass they need to stop recording anything

EDIT: Think about it. Deadpool was a comic book  When I into comics I wasn't into most of the Marvel stuff, I was going for Image stuff, even warped stuff like Faust. Maybe I was a little... advanced? for a kid but Deadpool is literal child games compared to what I was into at that age. In other words (the words of Bushwick Bill) don't leave me with your fuckin' kids, I guess.

You think 10 year old girls should watch a movie where a couple celebrate International Women's Day by having her do him up the arse with a strap on?

Ever read a poem called 'This be the Verse'?

I probably would've enjoyed When The Bough Breaks a lot more if it had been a free TV movie of the week on TV One, Aspire, or BET.

Since I had to pay money to see it in an actual theater, I'm pretty pissed off. 

Just about every actor on the screen put in a really good performance, but the plot is so predictable it was unbelievable. 

Night Moves is coming on TCM in a minute. Soooooooo ready to watch this

EDIT: Oh man! The Wire stole the "Nobody wins, one side just loses a little more slowly" line directly from this movie. 

EDIT II: Yeah that was awesome. It's a film noir that has, like the rare day-lit horror film or story, all kinds of bad shit happening in broad daylight. Especially the finale. Gene Hackman plays such a great character here, an aging private eye who refuses to roll over for his woman and work at an agency, ends up getting cheated on, and winds up in this web of betrayal that involves some outwardly kinky stuff that you couldn't get away with any more (like a 17 year old Melanie Griffith being a lil' Lolita and actually getting nude, namely). The muzak over the end credits just kind of underlines the soul-deadening journey Hackman undertakes. Great film that nobody ever talks about. And directed by Arthur Penn no less! 

• Like 2

Blair Witch. Yes, this film is tremendous. It really shows up the Paranormal Activity films and it's "OH MY GOD, AN OBJECT IN A SUBURBAN KITCHEN FELL OVER IN THE NIGHT!" nonsense. 

What I liked about it: the lead guy essentially went it into knowing: "Yeah, this is probably a bad fucking idea." He did it anyway. Not because he was stupid, but because he was so pathologically curious he couldn't resist. It's a movie about obsession and hysteria. Unlike his sister, he knew, all along, he was biting off more than he could chew.    

I also liked that while they did show the witch, you glimpsed her so briefly you were left wondering: "Um, what the hell did I just see?"

Better than the original? Probably not. But this was a stunningly great little horror flick. 

I've heard decent things about Blair Witch but it is being savaged in the reviews and most of the criticism is the usual damning by comparison sort of thing.

I think if this movie had simply kept its original title and not made direct reference to BWP, it would've fared far better.

Filth (2013) stars James McAvoy and is based on the Irvine Welsh novel of the same name. It's a great performance from McAvoy, an award winning performance, but the film as a whole is a confusing mess. The book is too, but it works on the page in a way that it doesn't on screen. The shifts in tone it has, the way they try to simulate the disorientation the characters feel by disorienting the viewer... you can see what they were going for, but it kind of feels like they got a bit fancy with the direction. It's the old question about having films with characters who see things that aren't there - do you show them to the audience, or do you trust the actor to sell that they're there without showing them? I think McAvoy's performance would be enough to tell the viewer that this guy's reacting to stimuli no-one else in the room can see or hear.

He made this and Trance back to back (I preferred Trance. Rosario Dawson~!). A film based on a book by the guy who wrote Trainspotting, and a film directed by the guy who directed Trainspotting. Wonder if he tried to get a supporting role in T2?

I'm prepping for the 100 greatest movies thread by filling in some blind spots, and I'm starting with individual directors filmographies. I watched a lot of Robert Altman this weekend and maybe all of them may end up bumping other films off of my list.

I also watched Night Moves. Some really great performances, but I was disappointed by how disjointed it was. Maybe I'd think more of it if I hadn't just watched The Long Goodbye, which I enjoyed a lot more and explored some of the same themes. 

Room: This film is really good. Great acting and one of best child performances ever. And as I mentioned in the "scenes that made you weep like a baby" it involves too many tear-inducing moments to count,

The only thing that struck me as false and contrived was the interview scene.  I know TV reporters are sleazy as hell and they wanted to push the "media is evil!" point, but no on-air personality would ever be so cold and judgmental to an obviously severely traumatized and terrorized woman on live TV or ask those questions. (The public backlash alone.)

"Um, I don't really consider the rapist monster who kidnapped, abused and tortured me for seven years to be a true father to this child."

"But that's not true, though, is it?"

*then the reporter accuses her of being selfish and a terrible mother*

Like, not even Nancy Grace would be that much of a bitch. 

30 minutes ago, (BP) said:

If he had a thing with Marion Cotillard on the set of that WWII Mr. and Mrs. Smith ripoff, I might go into diabetic shock from the sweetness of the irony. 

There have been rumors about that shit for a while.  I was kinda hoping they weren't true.

37 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I hope he has a press conference in a Mexican Hooters.

That is fucking awesome.  I've always told myself that if I was famous and was in a high profile divorce, I'd hold my press conference neat the wet bar at Magic City.

• Like 1

Anyone seen Hell Or High Water? It's well worth a watch from the guy who wrote Sicario. Jeff Bridges is fun in it - he basically plays the role as the great grandson of Rooster Cogburn on the trail of two bank robbing brothers. Made me realise how we don't get much 'working class' cinema these days

4 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Anyone seen Hell Or High Water? It's well worth a watch from the guy who wrote Sicario. Jeff Bridges is fun in it - he basically plays the role as the great grandson of Rooster Cogburn on the trail of two bank robbing brothers. Made me realise how we don't get much 'working class' cinema these days

I had one friend say it was great and one say it was pretty bad 

I caught Star Wars Episode 1 on TNT last night because I'm a fucking masochist.  It can't be overstated what a bad movie and a horrible disappointment this was.  Sweet Jesus, it really was George Lucas indulging all his worst instincts with no sane people or budget limitations to reign him in. 

And god damn the CG looks bad.  I didn't realize the movie is 17 years old and was absolutely not meant to be shown in HD until I saw various aliens, most glaringly Sebulba, looking like shiny rubber or straight-up cartoons.  The difference between CG characters and humans was so vast I might as well have been watching Roger Rabbit.

OK, not calling The Phantom Menace great exactly...but....

Darth Maul was terrific. A truly creepy villain. And I liked seeing Obi Wan come of age. There's something kinda sad about the way he keeps telling Jinn: "But I don't trust Anakin." And Jinn doesn't listen. Obi Wan knew all along something was wrong. Then at the end, Jinn makes him promise to take care of the kid. And poor Obi Wan: He can't betray a death bed promise, can he?  

Then he spends the next two films slowly, horrifically realizing: "Fuck, I was right, wasn't I? I should have sent the kid back to his mom."

As a film, it never quite gets over the awfulness of Jar Jar, young Anakin or the Trade Federation storyline (man, I still don't know what that shit was about) but I don't think it's the disaster it's portrayed as.

I find it rather compelling in places. It's better than Attack of the Clones anyway. Oh, and the doors sliding open to reveal a hooded Darth Maul waiting to murder everyone is still one of the best Star Wars moments ever. 

22 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

As soon as they got officially married, the countdown to the Jolie/Pitt breakup was on. 

Hadn't heard about the possible Cotillard connection, but I can totally see it being true.

Christ, man. Has any Hollywood marriage ever lasted?

Joanne Woodward and Paul Newman, I guess. 

But that's one of the only examples I can think of. 

• Like 1